PDA

View Full Version : good time for synthetic?

2fastcivic
08-31-2002, 11:51 PM
ill be doing my first oil change at 1,500 miles and i was wondering if its okay for me to use synthetic oil right away. some people are saying that its not good to use it so early since the car is still new. can someone clear this up for me? thanks.

JSIR
09-01-2002, 09:13 AM
this is the type of question where you ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. Personally, I would wait a few more miles. The engine has done most of its break-in by now, but not completely. Plus these new k-series engines are using harder cylinder liners compared to previous b-series engines, thus they may take more time to wear in properly. For some reason I noticed my oil consumption dropped dramatically around 7500 kms (5000 miles), so I assume that is when my total break-in period came to an end, which is coincidental with Honda's recommended first oil change. So maybe these engines do need a bit longer break in period compared ?, who knows, just guessing. I would wait until at least after 5000 miles to switch to synthetic, on my own engine I did it around the 6000 mile mark. hth.

SVTNate
09-02-2002, 12:52 AM
Lots of car gurus recommend making the switch to synthetic at 6,000 miles. Certainly I would wait until at least 3-5K before switching.

In short, definitely do NOT switch to synthetic yet. 1,500 is definitely too early. You won't find many knowledgable people telling you to switch that early.

2fastcivic
09-02-2002, 01:17 AM
thanks for the help guys.