PDA

View Full Version : comptech has the icebox for our civics

labelhunter
09-01-2002, 10:40 AM
i was wondering if anyone has it? how does it sound? and performance? nopi is selling it for 262.59 i was looking into an intake but dont want to worry about sucking up water.. any information would be great TIA!

JSIR
09-01-2002, 12:42 PM
I don't think it is in production yet. Try ordering it from Nopi, it probably wont arrive for another 2 months last word from Comptech. I would love to see it in production as I'm holding out for that intake. If you get any word from Nopi let us know.

labelhunter
09-01-2002, 01:24 PM
That sucks. do they do that alot? I mean i was so happy to see that and now i have to wait two months.. well thank you for the information ill wait and see as im doing with everything for my car i have already 7000 miles on it i want to start somthing soon ill keep my eyes open. later..

JSIR
09-01-2002, 05:04 PM
yeah they do that from time to time as new parts are being developed. But give them a call and see what they tell you, would be interesting to find out. The intake isn't even listed on Comptech's website, not even under development, but last word from Comptech was that they would have something by November.

00sir
09-03-2002, 08:05 AM
I honestly don't think the ice box or other intakes are going to do much for our cars. The intake is pretty good stock, and is not the weak point of flow. The k2 series like the rsx type s seem to get big gains from intakes.. Our big gains come from the header and exhaust. Save your money and get an ok CAI but make sure to get the header and exhaust.

Just my .02...

Take Care

silver ep
09-03-2002, 08:13 AM
I agree if you get anything it should be a probabally be a CAI. IMO

grooveline
09-03-2002, 09:34 AM
o contrair 00Sir,

I just got done reading an article from Honda Tuning...

Our engines do very well with intake upgrades...

silver ep
09-03-2002, 09:37 AM
grooveline:

Is that in the new issue?

grooveline
09-03-2002, 09:38 AM
uh huh

good article containing test drives of the new Civic Type R, and RSX Type R.

Good article about our engines as well

00sir
09-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Read again, I too have the article... The engine tested was for an rsx-s, not an si which we both know is worlds different from each other. The RSX-S got 10 whp from the intake used in the article. (I have also seen this in other forums as well.)... The k3 which we have only free's up about 3.5 to 4.5 hp with the same type CAI. Better to spend you money on the header which can give 5 to 10 whp on the dyno and the exhaust (midpipe) 4 to 6 whp versus the CAI for only 3 to 4.5. Feel free to check AEM dyno plots for our car... That will sum it up right there.

In the end, I am sure most of us will end up getting all three... So my point is pretty mute.
But, if you were only going to get one or two bolt ons, then I would say the header and exhaust would be the way to go...

Also maybe with more aggressive ECU tuning we could get a bit more as well... The RSX-S has been
acting favorably to ecu tuning. Maybe the SI will do the same. Remember, two different engines...

Take Care...

grooveline
09-03-2002, 12:55 PM
yeah, I'm waiting for them to get an ECU out...

ya know, its almost funny. the US is what, the number one country? and yet we don't get the choice stuff here...

lousy politicians!

So then, we should skip the CAI and go straight for a header or exhaust.

My only problem is the torque loss associated with exhaust mods...

m0ns00n
09-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Yeah, the US is #1 alright.

Let's all chant...

USA is the best
USA is the best
USA is the best
USA is the best
USA is the best
USA is the best
USA is the best
BOOM!
"why does eveybody hate us so much?"

sorry, I've had my fill of we are #1 lately...

grooveline
09-03-2002, 02:01 PM
don't give in yet, young patriot.

Yes its tiring, but somebody has to do it, so lets be the ones that do it. you wouldn't want a big as communistic country like China to be number one. then we'd all be fucked.

!@#$%
09-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by 00sir
I honestly don't think the ice box or other intakes are going to do much for our cars. The intake is pretty good stock, and is not the weak point of flow. The k2 series like the rsx type s seem to get big gains from intakes.. Our big gains come from the header and exhaust. Save your money and get an ok CAI but make sure to get the header and exhaust.

Just my .02...

Take Care

i back this guy's theory 100%. Do what he/she said and you will be happier in the long run. :)

labelhunter
09-08-2002, 09:36 AM
ive seen other websites selling comptechs icebox and the catback. These are not on comptechs website so it probably means that the other sites will tell u that they re on back order or something rite/??

JSIR
09-08-2002, 09:51 AM
you can probably pre-order them, but last schedule released from Comptech was a November release date. Give some of them a call and see what they tell you, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. Good thing about the intake is that they will probably develop the RSX-S version first which will fit our Civic Si perfectly, thus we should be one of the first models to get one, the RSX base will probably have to wait longer.

labelhunter
09-10-2002, 03:52 PM
Now im reading everyone saying that intakes are great for our cars , the first thing to do , and stuff like that. but when i asked everyone said go with header and exhaust first im confuised