PDA

View Full Version : mp3 HU w/ aux input

IknowApirate
08-29-2003, 08:54 PM
I should first tell you I know very little about car stereos...

I'm looking for a HU for an 03 Si with an auxiliary input and mp3 playing capabilities. I have an iPod I'd like to be able to simply plug it in. I've looked at a few and checked out other posts but i'm not sure if they're what i'm looking for. It's also very likely that I don't fully understand how they would plug in... I want to avoid a setup that would require more than one cable and look at home with duct tape. I would also like to find something subtle and relatively inexpensive(under $500), if that's at all possible. I'd appreciate any recommendations and input.

andy
08-29-2003, 11:21 PM
I sort of have this same question. I have a ghetto-DVD setup
in my car and it would be very nice if I had an auxiliary input,
especially if it was in the front.

Cructhfield is probably a good place to start (not for pricing necessarily,
but just for looking). Here (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-dMmb4t7XREc/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=62700&s=0&cc=01&avf=N) is a list of head units that play mp3s. You'll have to
read if they have an auxiliary input or not (I think most manufacturers
make at least one or two models that do have it; Alpine is the
only funky one, as you have to buy some sort of extra box/wire
for it to work).

You do realize you only need an auxiliary input and not the MP3
capability to use your iPod, right? You could probably find a pretty
cheap h/u that has an auxiliary input that would work just fine.

padelong si
08-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Try www.etronics.com too.
They have good prices.:D

beansbear
08-30-2003, 04:17 AM
I would just get an FM modulator like this one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-46iGHsbfRbI/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=2&g=42500&I=020FM200S+

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-46iGHsbfRbI/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&c=2&g=42500&I=257KSIF200
if you dont want to upgrade your current system. These units will work great and the sound is decent since its wired directly to the antenna and headunit.

for my iPod I just bought a whole new deck... I got a Pioneer with the aux IP bus for aux input.

IknowApirate
08-30-2003, 07:13 AM
I checked at crutchfield but I wasn't sure if any of them had the aux input in the front, which is what I would really prefer.

And yes, I know i don't need an mp3 capable receiver. I just wanted that for the music that doesn't fit on the iPod. I'm planning on burning a lot because I hate case logic cases or a bunch of cd cases floating around the car.

Also, I wanted to avoid the fm transmitter, as I heard the quality is poor. I don't mind getting a new deck. In fact, I had planned on it. I just want to make sure I don't have to do some modifying to get to the aux input and get it set up the way I want it. What can I say... I'm lazy.

Thanks for the replies.

beansbear
08-30-2003, 10:22 AM
FM transmiters are shitty if they are external to the system. the ones hooked up directly to the antenna give pretty good sound. sound as good as any FM station because its a direct link.

Almost all of the pioneer decks can have an aux in as long as you buy the IP Bus Link Aux. What i did was run a 2 male RCA to 1/8" line and leave it in my center console. use it on my ipod whenever. i advise against a front mount input because it will eventually break from either use or accident.

if you still want front mount input, Aiwa is the only one I have seen with this feature.

IknowApirate
08-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Beansbear, would you happen to have any pictures of your setup? I would like to know how it looks when it's all said and done. Thanks.

beansbear
08-30-2003, 10:58 AM
sorry... i dont have any pics yet
but it looks like a regular head unit and all that is extra is a cable that i have coming out from back of the unit and running it near my center console for the ipod.

its nothing special.

humanshield
09-08-2003, 12:26 PM
here goes...

alpine, sony, panasonic, jvc, and pioneer all have head units that have an aux in. they all need a mini jack to rca, except the jvc. the alpine and pioneer need a special adaptor through the manufacter (about $10-15).

the jvc has the aux plug right in the front. like you said you wanted. i'm sure there's more out there, just haven't had any experience with them. good luck.

importhonda
09-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I beleive clarions also have an aux RCA input