PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of purchasing a 2003 Si, i have a few ?'s

IanJVerDuin
08-30-2003, 11:24 PM
First off, Hello everyone!

I am in the market for a new car, and from what i have seen, the new Si looks perfect.

I was wondering what insurance rates were like per month.

Another thing, the 160 HP seems enough for me, but how is the car on torque?

I have heard complaints about the stock tires, are they really all that bad?

And, overall, is it really a great car for the money?

Thanks for the help, and the most important question is the insurance one. I have zero points if that helps. Just some averages if you can.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, tuesday, i will be able to add my new car to the sig!

civic hatch boi
08-30-2003, 11:30 PM
-insurance is less than an rsx.
-torque is fine
-tires suck, but for daily driving, its great. wet and dry, honestly, who takes turns going 60 unless u're autox
-for 19k, its not worth it, for 16-17k, its great

StrangeShadow
08-30-2003, 11:32 PM
try to find one between $12-16k...my insurance is low, but I have a perfect driving record.

IceD out N CALI
08-31-2003, 12:59 AM
i'd say if you dont mind its mini van looks and can get it for 16k or less and have no other reservations with it, go for it:)

j spek chucks
08-31-2003, 01:13 AM
i pay $3000 a year

estebones
08-31-2003, 02:39 AM
Insurance depends on how old you are, if you are married and what your driving record is like.
me?:
25yrs old
nothing bad on my driving record for at least the past 2 yrs.
married
insurance for a 2002 si and a 2002 ex is $238/ full cover per month that's $2856 for 12 months not too bad but ive heard of better ones

the tires if you dont mind them being small theyre good for daily driving.

hp/torque not the best but c'mon its a 4 cylinder not a v8
get a 2002, dont waste your $$ ona a new one unless you have the cash to throw around, its basically the same car/hp/torque just more expensive because its new :eek:

Shop around for both car and insurance until you feel like youre not taking in up the you-know-what.

hope this helps
Esteban

ep pilot
08-31-2003, 10:28 AM
I have a 2002 Si

Torque is actually a stronger point of the k20a3 more so than H.P. In short the car feels at home zipping in-N-out of traffic.

I am 25, single have 1 ticket in 4 years, I have 21st century and live in California. I am paying $185 fully covered +500 deductible. My main reason for not getting an RSX last year was that it would have been $285 per month.

-Ryan

DavidT
08-31-2003, 11:03 AM
I love the torque from this motor, has more torque than my H22A powered 00 Prelude SH. Doesn't quite have the top end the Prelude did but it's also 40 HP short from the lude :) The stock tires are fine for daily driving I guess, no complaints...but for like track or hard driving they suck ass. I can chirp'em all the way through first and halfway through second launching from IDLE :p Example of torque from motor ;)

TheMutt
08-31-2003, 12:15 PM
I paid 17k for mine, but I still think it's worth it. Guess I'm a lil too loyal to the car :p
But seriously, what other cars are you looking into? The tires are nice wet/dry. And as for torque, it's enough so long as you aren't expecting something comparable to a v8. The car is very well tuned for your daily driving, though it can be a hassle in stop and go traffic... but that's the norm for any manual right?

IanJVerDuin
08-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Yah, im not too worried about the whole stop and go thing. And no, i wasnt expecting a ton of v8 style torque. I was just wondering how it felt. Im not expecting it to throw my head back, but just wondering if it is peppy, and you dont have to wait a while for it to get up and movie. Ugh, i wish tuesday wold come faster!:eek:

droideka
08-31-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by IanJVerDuin
Yah, im not too worried about the whole stop and go thing. And no, i wasnt expecting a ton of v8 style torque. I was just wondering how it felt. Im not expecting it to throw my head back, but just wondering if it is peppy, and you dont have to wait a while for it to get up and movie. Ugh, i wish tuesday wold come faster!:eek:

I just picked up my EP daily driver on Friday and love it! I'm not let down at all by the accelaration even though I'm used to the Z's torque. It's more than adequate to get moving.

TheMutt
08-31-2003, 01:23 PM
I got tons of respect for ya droideka, it's swell to have a Z driver on our side :p
The only complaint I have about the car is first gear goes away to fast and 6th is... well... nonexistant.

blueiedgod
08-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by IanJVerDuin
First off, Hello everyone!

I am in the market for a new car, and from what i have seen, the new Si looks perfect.

Thanks for the help, and the most important question is the insurance one. I have zero points if that helps. Just some averages if you can.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, tuesday, i will be able to add my new car to the sig!

Glad you looked at Si. Si is not bad for the money if you don't pay sticker. For $15-16K it is an awesome package. It is somewhat fast, agile, roomy, and versatile. It could be hindered by its two door design. If you regularly have back seat passengers then Matrix/Vibe is a better alternative.
It has its quircks, first off, don't be surprized if some of your friends make fun of you and call it an Oddyssey coupe, or a mini minivan. Being built in UK, mine is one of the first batches made there, it has its share of teething problems. Has been to the dealer 3 times already and she is ready for an appointment again (Center vent, Driver's window, driver's door handle, leaky trunk, excessive oil consumtion although it seemed to have slowed down as I am approaching 10K miles)

The stock tires are very good winter tires and decent summer tires. I had no problems with traction this past winter with all that snow we had.

As far as insruance, go to
www.geico.com
www.progressive.com
www.statefarm.com
www.libertymutual.com
and get a free qoute. The insruance depends on the locality as mush as it does on age, marital status, and previous driving record.

Good luck

FailureToStop
08-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Just to second or third everybody...

I'm paying about $105/month. Full coverage with 25K/50K. I haven't had any accidents or tickets in years (past what the DMV records keep track off) and I have had continuous coverage for about 13 or so years prior (really, REALLY helps you get a discount.)

Very good torque performance. The EP's really responsive and I feel the engine is better tooling around town than the high revving B-series.

For every day driving they are fine. But if you want to get spirited in your driving you notice that they have a lot of roll.

I got my car for about $15.5K (a little under $17K out the door).

At that price it gave more bang for the buck than the Corrolla S, Sentra SE, Matrix/Vibe and Protege that I reading about.

At sticker price, I don't think it is worth it. I don't know if these people are BS'ing, but I've read that they have gotten it for $14-15K. At that price the EP is the best hatch in its range.