PDA

View Full Version : advice on stereo under budget

PCPPharm.D
09-01-2003, 10:35 AM
i have about 1g to spend on stereo system
what can i get for that price including
head units, replace factory speakers, tweeters,
get new amp and 12 inch sub with box.....
do you think i can get all that including installation?
thanks ephatch members

BarracksSi
09-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Hmmm...

You could put in a whole new system of average parts, or you could replace only some pieces and invest in higher quality, then save up for more parts later on.

You could get a top-notch head unit, amp, and sub, and come in under the $1000 cap. That will give you a good foundation in the head for future upgrades, more power to the stock speakers (which don't sound THAT bad), and the sub will of course play the bass better than the mains. Besides, the mains will sound cleaner -- and handle some more power -- when you take the bass out of them.

My bias is pretty obvious :D but the way I see it, I would seek to improve the system's sound first, not whether I could replace everything for a certain dollar amount. After all, it's there to play music, not to be a display of brand names.

Civicvtec1ps
09-02-2003, 05:38 PM
my headunit
(pioneer premier deh-840mp=360)
subs
(infinity perfect 2 10s=250)
amp
(planet audio amp=250)
rf wiring
(80)
cdplayer installation kit
(30)
headunit harness
(20)

total =$990:cool:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p848de50bce0c908b9b0f0fe46bce4368/fb75b8e3.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p837b894c658ca872c1f478dba9d02667/fc0f7b6c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p99af2313825f710cf55b1fb70365eec0/fb5f168f.jpg
i dont konw about installation. but it would cost around 200 at audio shop. i did it myself with my friend. easy diy

BarracksSi
09-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Was the bracket silver or black at first? If you changed it to silver, did you repaint the black one, or get a new one?

RiceCzechs
09-04-2003, 08:47 PM
That's a nice looking setup, but seriously lousy placement on the radar detector. Half blocked by the wipers, and way too low on the windshield.... might want to consider hardwiring it into the headliner (though the blacked out area on our windshields above the rearview makes this troublesome). Just a suggestion.

Civicvtec1ps
09-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Was the bracket silver or black at first? If you changed it to silver, did you repaint the black one, or get a new one?
well id dint have installation kit for while but i needed one so i ordered from crutchfiled. black one. its metra kit and fits perfectly

Civicvtec1ps
09-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RiceCzechs
That's a nice looking setup, but seriously lousy placement on the radar detector. Half blocked by the wipers, and way too low on the windshield.... might want to consider hardwiring it into the headliner (though the blacked out area on our windshields above the rearview makes this troublesome). Just a suggestion.
yea i will redo it later. maybe hook it up to interior light or something

BarracksSi
09-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps

well id dint have installation kit for while but i needed one so i ordered from crutchfiled. black one. its metra kit and fits perfectly

Oh, ok, so the dash pic -- with the Type-R knob -- has the new head on top, and the stock storage pocket still in place.

Gotcha -- that doesn't look as bad as I would think (not from pictures, anyway... might be different in person).

Civicvtec1ps
09-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

Oh, ok, so the dash pic -- with the Type-R knob -- has the new head on top, and the stock storage pocket still in place.

Gotcha -- that doesn't look as bad as I would think (not from pictures, anyway... might be different in person).
it will be just fine with regular headunits. mine has those filp down screen. so that diddnt work. always hits something when i use flipdown screen.so i didnt have choice.