PDA

View Full Version : ?? Can't feel our vtec kick in ??

sniperSI
09-02-2003, 09:52 AM
I Know how everyone says you really can't feel our vtec kick in like the 00 Si's . However now that my car has 32000 miles on it. Whenever i approach 5 grand i can really feel the vtec kick in.

I wonder if it's just because our cars were new so we could never feel it, where as other '00 Si's we've (i've) rode in, all had 30,000 + miles on them and I could feel the vtec kick in.

just an observation, anyone with high miles feel a vtec kick now?

Zero Three Si
09-02-2003, 09:54 AM
I bought my car in May of 2003...........I have 10k miles on it...and girl SCREAMS from 5k rpms until cutoff.....I can feel my VTECH.....can you feel yours...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-02-2003, 09:55 AM
What you're feeling is not VTEC, unless you swapped in a K20A2.
Our VTEC "kicks in" at about 2300rpm.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
I bought my car in May of 2003...........I have 10k miles on it...and girl SCREAMS from 5k rpms until cutoff.....I can feel my VTECH.....can you feel yours...

I can feel my VTECH, I can dial it too, want me to call you on it?

sniperSI
09-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

Ba-dum-bum

Dunrick
09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
i/h/e and 5 grand I definitely feel the cars power

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI

Ba-dum-bum

:D

BlasTech
09-02-2003, 10:09 AM
My guess is there's a new map in the vtc (i- in i-Vtec) that you're feeling at that range...or a change in the air harmonic to a different note.

Everyone should read this:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1005867#post1005867

Makross
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
i dont feel shit!

2k2ep
09-02-2003, 02:48 PM
this has been discussed before it is because of the dip in the powerband around 4k.

mrfixit687
09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
you guys can feel your phones?(vtech)

JLannoo
09-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
you guys can feel your phones?(vtech)

You got beat to that joke. Didnt read the whole thread did ya? LOL :D

Dunrick
09-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by US_Si
I'm sure what you're feeling with IHE is just top end power, not Vtec.

Adam's right, it kicks in at around 2300 rpm.

I know when vtec kicks in, thats not what I'm claiming kicks in around 5k...I'm saying the car still comes to life (kicks in) after 5k

DyNastySi
09-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Makross
i dont feel shit!

Word Yo

sniperSI
09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
OK,

I Know on a newer si's ( at least when mine was new) it had a real even power band, it would consistanly pick up speed to redline.

but now it feels a bit slow before 4k and after 4 k i can feel a small jump in power, all the way to redline

kinda like accelerating and shutting your AC off at the sametime you feel that kick.

kenis138
09-03-2003, 10:07 AM
doesnt it switch to a different intake procedure at like 4k and thats what you feel? look at old threads on the topic...im too lazy

sniperSI
09-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Nooooo i know how it works and i know what kicks in where i just wanted to know if people are starting to feel the kick more as the milage grows on their SI as compared to the people who have new/low miles si's :)

02NITEHAWKSi EP
09-03-2003, 10:23 AM
I can feel the cam phasing in second gear and a little in third if I am only half way stomping on the gas. It feels like little jolts of power, almost like you are just pushing the clutch in and out but not all the way.

graham
09-03-2003, 12:24 PM
yep - my SiR feltstronger right after the second oil change ... (I'm at 15,000 kms now). It's not VTEC tho ... i'm sure it's just honda's A/F mapping. If you want to feel VTEC, take a ride in an ITR.

MrCivic03
09-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Makross
i dont feel shit! good i hope nobody feels shit bc that is sick.

Kirei
09-03-2003, 02:30 PM

hhhahahahahahhhahahaha

BlasTech
09-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Just looking at mods in signatures makes me guess that could be the torque curve of Injen/AEM CAIs, having a little less in the bottom, and more in the top.

NemesisITR
09-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by graham
yep - my SiR feltstronger right after the second oil change ... (I'm at 15,000 kms now). It's not VTEC tho ... i'm sure it's just honda's A/F mapping. If you want to feel VTEC, take a ride in an ITR.

I miss my ITR!!!

mental
09-03-2003, 06:29 PM
if i am not mistaken... vtec kicks in really low like 2300 like everyone else is saying... however the punch you feel i read somewhere a while ago comes from a fuelmap change up top...
like down low vtec helps create almost a torque affect, and as well more fuel is added to the mixture... and then closer to say 4500 to 5000rpm's i would even go as fars as to say 5500 cuz thats where mine feels kinda punchy... the engine managment starts to lean out the mixture giving less fuel more air and thus the topend feel is more highspeed ready... but yes for the most part some of the guys with early post are dead on right!!! i-vtec comes on very low!!!....
also i have heard speculation this is only rumor dont qoute me on this... but vtec is also set to engage differently in every gear!!!
now type-s's no doubt when those things start going!!! lol!!!:p :D

raiyo
09-03-2003, 10:36 PM
i-VTEC means idiot-VTEC

vroom.............when is the idiot-tec kicking in? oh wait... u didn't hear it? let me replay the CD that "makes" the vtec sound.

Spidey
09-04-2003, 12:48 PM
i have no idea what you're all talkin' about feeling the vtec kick in?
then again, this is my first honda.
someone told me it feels like turbo kickin in. Is that right?
all i hear is the car screaming at high rpms above 4,000

bloodzombie
09-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Everything you need to know about vtec

http://www.hondahookup.com/faqman/index.php?op=view&t=4

From the artical:

"Now, I-VTEC is VTEC, with a twist. Toyota's VVTL-i is the same thing as i-VTEC. Basically, in addition to VTEC, the ECU reads and modifies both intake and exhaust cam timing to an optimal point at every point on the RPM band. This ensures the most efficient cam timing to achieve optimal hp and torque. Infinitely Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. This is why the new RSX-S motors, although only making 5 more hp than the old Type-R motors, are making around 12 more lb-ft of torque - because of i-vtec."

So it was my understanding that the cam lobes are constantly changing based on a variety of variables, and there's no one point where it "kicks in" Hence the "infinitely" part.

MasterVTEC
09-04-2003, 02:24 PM

good one!!!!

mental
09-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by bloodzombie

From the artical:

"Now, I-VTEC is VTEC, with a twist. Toyota's VVTL-i is the same thing as i-VTEC. Basically, in addition to VTEC, the ECU reads and modifies both intake and exhaust cam timing to an optimal point at every point on the RPM band. This ensures the most efficient cam timing to achieve optimal hp and torque. Infinitely Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control. This is why the new RSX-S motors, although only making 5 more hp than the old Type-R motors, are making around 12 more lb-ft of torque - because of i-vtec."

So it was my understanding that the cam lobes are constantly changing based on a variety of variables, and there's no one point where it "kicks in" Hence the "infinitely" part.

GREAT POINT...
however it would be way more accurate if it stated only the intake timing... being as we only got the half ass version of i-vtec... lol....;)

Tiger_Si
09-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by bloodzombie

From the artical:

well the type S is a 2.0 and the ITR its a 1.8, so the 5 hp and 12 tq dont impress me. ohh and BTW IMO vtec > i-vtec

civic hatch boi
09-05-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Tiger_Si

well the type S is a 2.0 and the ITR its a 1.8, so the 5 hp and 12 tq dont impress me. ohh and BTW IMO vtec > i-vtec

1) i think u're a dumbass
2) itr's are tuned like crazy, TypeS has so much more potential to be tuned for much higher hp/tq figures
3)honda isn't stupid, they wouldn't release a newer vtec was that inferior to its predecessor
4) u're a dumbass

mental
09-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

1) i think u're a dumbass
2) itr's are tuned like crazy, TypeS has so much more potential to be tuned for much higher hp/tq figures
3)honda isn't stupid, they wouldn't release a newer vtec was that inferior to its predecessor
4) u're a dumbass

AHAHAHAHAHA ha ha ha ha.....
PWNED!!! i mean its nothing big but he does have a point!!!

AntiReality
09-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Tiger_Si

Why don't you try comparing ITR (DC2) to ITR (DC5) for a more reasonable comparison. The RSX-S is supposed to be like the new-gen GSR. Yeah...VTEC is better if you love that feeling of the kick at that VTEC point, but technologically, i-VTEC is better and is providing better gains off of the same kinds of mods. But then again...we're stating opinions here.

StrangeShadow
09-12-2003, 02:21 PM
I've seen some dc wit 500hp+ already, so I'ld say ivtec is better. plus our engine is lie the button of the line in k-series engines, if we compared it with bottom of the line b-series w/vtec, I think we would stil win.

yeah, the low torque from the 2300rpm from the fake vtec is nice, and it does really pull like crazy at 5krpms. =)