PDA

View Full Version : Good products to remove paint from dings?

CleanBlackSi02
09-02-2003, 07:05 PM
What product would be best for removing the white paint that was left from dings from other peoples cars?! Regular wax and scrubbing have done nothing to remove the paint. I'm considering ordering a bunch of Zaino products, but I'd like a quick fix until I decide to go all out. Help!

CleanBlackSi02
09-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Anyone?

raiyo
09-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Give GraffitiMaster's PlastiMaster a try. It can remove spray paint off the body when it is DRY. Where can you buy it? I work at a paint store and they sell it, not sure if you have one in your area. The paint store is called Kelly Moore. Cost around 20 bucks a bottle, comes in a spray bottle. If you have one in your area, PM me, I'll hook you up with a discount card that gets you 10% off.

2QK4U ALLWAYS
09-05-2003, 05:52 AM
ACETONE then rewax the area

ApexinSi
09-05-2003, 06:59 AM
try some KEROSINE KEROSENE i dont know how to spell it, but don't use alot and don't rub it in too much.wash right away

CleanBlackSi02
09-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Anybody else have any opinions about acetone? I have some sitting around, but it seems like it'd be pretty harsh. ...and kerosene?

peterZ
09-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Meguiars cleaner wax. works for just about everything, it's safe for clearcoat and is inexpensive.
peter

streaker666
09-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by peterZ
Meguiars cleaner wax. works for just about everything, it's safe for clearcoat and is inexpensive.
peter

Meguiar's consumer line cleaner wax won't do the job, I'm pretty sure of that, as it can't even remove bugs.

Having said that, Meguiar's Professional line of product do have different levels of abrasiveness in their cleaner wax...I'm sure the paint from the ding can probably be removed by the medium cut Cleaner...if not, try the heavy cut Cleaner...do NOT use excessive force and do NOT overuse on the the medium or heavy cut, or you could find yourself getting the whole door re-painted.

raiyo
09-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by 2QK4U ALLWAYS
ACETONE then rewax the area

Acetone is way to strong for this job. Say good bye to clear coat if you do so.

Dont like to use the product I suggested? oh well.... works great to tell you the truth. Got a bottle sitting at home.

CleanBlackSi02
09-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by raiyo

Acetone is way to strong for this job. Say good bye to clear coat if you do so.

Dont like to use the product I suggested? oh well.... works great to tell you the truth. Got a bottle sitting at home.
I'll have to find a place around here that sells it. I guess I can always bring it back if it doesen't work. Do you think Home Depot or Lowe's would have it?

potator
09-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I got a tube of some Scratch Remover that was advertised on a TV infomercial once. My uncle bought it during then, and ended up in my garage, guess he forgot it here or something. But anyway, I used it to remove the other car's paint from my small door dings, and it worked like magic. Came off without a problem. But don't apply too much or it can remove your clear coat. Let me know if you're interested - I can take a pic of the tube for ya, or if you live in the area, you can borrow it. Good luck, hope this helps.

raiyo
09-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

I'll have to find a place around here that sells it. I guess I can always bring it back if it doesen't work. Do you think Home Depot or Lowe's would have it?

I doubt either of the store will carry it.

If you want.....I can give you some of mine. FREE!!! But you'll have to send me a small bottle in a box (which I can reuse to send it back to you) with extra postsage/money inside so I can send it back to you. Up to you.

CleanBlackSi02
09-07-2003, 03:56 PM
http://www.graffitimaster.com/Plasti-Masterdata.html
I found this... I'm going to call about the cost and get their opinion on using it for this purpose.

EDIT: Apparently Sherwin-Williams is a distributor and I have one right up the road...

raiyo
09-07-2003, 04:14 PM
glad u found it

AkronSi
09-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Not all Sherwin-Williams carry the automotive stuff. Make sure it's the Automotive Refinish center.

I've used scratch X with great results to remove scuffs. I agree with streaker666 about the Meg's stuff. You should be able to get then entire line of Meg's pro products at your local Sherwin-William's auto refinish center. At least I know mine does.

I wouldn't worry about Scratch X removing your clear coat. Unless you put tremendous force on the area and went at it for a long time....you'd be fine. Scratch X is actually pretty mild.

Let us know how well the graffiti stuff works if you go that route. It sounds pretty cool.