PDA

View Full Version : Borla Exhaust Install Problem!

Karim
09-02-2003, 11:06 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up of a possible problem. Tonight me and 2 other S2000 owners got together with Sb00 to install his Borla exhaust on his 03 Si. First off you guys really don't get much space down there to work on, either that or we just have really big hands.

The Problem:
The flange on the midpipe doesn't line up correctly with the flange and bolts on the CAT. We tried everything we could and one bolt would never line up and go in. It's going to the exhaust shop tomarrow to see what they can do but as of right now it's running out of the CAT and it sounds terrible. lol

Anyone else encounter this? Or is this just a one time screw up or something?

Karim

Sb00
09-02-2003, 11:16 PM
<~~~ Friggin PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but running out of the cat was fun for about 10 seconds.....

yea i'm takin it to the shop tomorrow to see what they can do about it...

2 bolts on the flange would line up and then the 3rd bolt would be off by less than 1/8" and like karim said no matter how we moved the pipe and the cat we couldn't get it to line up.....

grrr this upsets me greatly.... 3+ hours trying to install a friggin exaust system.... and now i'm going to pay for somebody to probably tell me the same thing that we experienced tonight...

ungh... i need some rest...

chunky
09-03-2003, 04:46 AM
wow. that's wierd. those flanges are all standard size. if it was off by just 1/8th of an inch, heat the sucker up! it'll stretch a bit when you heat it.

Also, you may already know this, but you have to do the midpipe first, then connect the axleback to the midpipe. Otherwise it's can be a chore to get everything to line up.

greenguy
09-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Hmmm. No install problems here. Took about 10 min to install. Infact after the EOM exhaust was removed, thats the first piece to be installed. Fit like Flint!
On a side note, I love the fact that when other Honda's and such that have aftermarket exhaust take off, they get all high pitched and resonant-E sounding. When I take off at WOT the car is low, deep with out a hint of being casterated ( read: high pitched) infact my AEM CAI is more pronounced above 5k rpm at WOT.
Get tit fixed, you will be happy!:)

Karim
09-04-2003, 02:03 PM
yeah we're baffled! The stocker is back on now. The exhaust shop was saying something around 80 bux to do it. We did everything in the right order and we tried all the other parts in their spots and on the hangers and stuff afterwards and they all fit fine.

Hopefully we'll have an update on the situation tonight after another friend of mine looks at it or Borla actually calls us back.

Steve:
I have another friend who is a boat mechanic that wants a try at it. Give me a call tonight. He gets off at 6.

Karim

david borla
09-04-2003, 02:20 PM
If you are still having a problem please call us at 877-GO-BORLA . Dial '0' to get the operator and ask for Richard or Gabriel in customer service. We will ensure that you are satisfied. Most enthusiasts have been vey happy with this header and I am confident that you will be as well.

Just give us a call so we can help. Thanks

87gn
09-04-2003, 03:54 PM
2 bolts on the flange would line up and then the 3rd bolt would be off by less than 1/8" and like karim said no matter how we moved the pipe and the cat we couldn't get it to line up.....

why not just take a drill bit and "widen" the hole thats not lining up?

Karim
09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
We were at another friend house and didn't have a drill with us. The other point is we shouldn't have to do that for a simple bolt on.

David thanx, we left a voicemail earlier. But if we can't get it done tonight we'll give the number a call tomarrow, and it's the exhaust not the header :)

btw this post is not a flame on Borla as a company or their products. I have worked with their systems on other vehicles before and they are very nice.

Karim

civicpimp
09-04-2003, 06:12 PM
I had no probs with my install but I do notice that in heavy rains it seems that around the cat area its vibrating and rubbing on something.

Karim
09-05-2003, 01:03 AM
so we ended up widening the hole with a drill and a hand file. Finally got everything together only to find out when Steve put on the stock exhaust last night he cross threaded and really messed up one of the bolts. 2 bolts are in well the 3rd is on there part of the way but not nearly enough to keep it from leaking. We wanted to put new bolts on there tonight and fix it but since they are studed bolts on there that would've taken quite a while to take off and it was getting late so that'll have to wait till tomarrow.

Not the best exhaust install experiance we've ever had but it wasn't too bad. A little extra work but nothing tough.

I must end it on a postitive note: The exhaust looks great! The muffler and resonator and piping are all great quality and the tips are really nice. I'm glad they stuck with the duel tip look. The tips look almost stock but a bit bigger and they shine really nice :D

Anywho I've had a long day so if anything is misspelled or doens't soudn right I'm sorry but I'm almost asleep at my keyboard :)

Karim

87gn
09-06-2003, 05:00 PM
We wanted to put new bolts on there tonight and fix it but since they are studed bolts on there that would've taken quite a while to take off and it was getting late so that'll have to wait till tomarrow.

there not that hard to change them out, infact you could probably do it in just a few seconds. alot of people dont know about it but all you have to do is lock 2 nuts togeather and just unscrew the stud.

BlackNRedSi
09-07-2003, 12:33 PM
that sucks you guys are having problems....i put my borla exhaust on in under an hour, easiest install i have done on my car yet...

its all 'pull off' 'snap on' stuff

Great prduct BORLA!!!!

Sb00
09-07-2003, 01:39 PM
well we "made" it fit :) and this exaust is not comming off ever :)

wonderful sound and looks awesome, i just wish the install would of went smoother...