PDA

View Full Version : Shift bushing install

Suk02Si
09-04-2003, 03:54 AM
I think this is the right forum :D

Here are the metal bushings I recieved in the mail.
http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/images/bush01.jpg

I wasn't really sure what the heck I was supposed to do; add or replace.

After pulling the lower dash apart, I removed the four 12mm bolts holding the entire shift mechanism in place.
http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/images/bush02.jpg

Stock:
http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/images/bush03.jpg

That is the stock configuration. I wasn't sure if the new metal bushing was supposed to replace the old metal sleeve, or just if the new bushing was supposed to be used in conjunction with the old sleeve. After trying a couple things, I ended up with this configuration:
http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/images/bush04.jpg

I pulled the stock metal sleeve out from under the rubber bushing and inserted it into the top. I then placed the new metal bushing under the stock rubber bushing. The step in the new metal bushing is the same exact diameter as the flange on the stock metal sleeve. The rubber bushing has a groove for the flange/step so it fits perfect and flush.

I tried using that config. but without the metal sleeve, just the rubber bushing with the metal bushing. That set up was horrible, the rubber flexed badly. I had to use the stock metal sleeve, with the stock rubber bushing and new metal bushing to get a nice rigid feel.

I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be installed, if not then please help :D

EDIT: damn, I always forget to add a 56k Warning

SiMPLE_SiMON
09-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Nope. You take all of the stock stuff out and put a new bushing on each side of the mounting holes. Check here: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72108&highlight=diy+capyoda

Floor mounted shifters attach at each of the four corners to they sell the kits in sets of eight bushings. It looks from your pictures that our EPs only have two mounting points with rubber bushings, so only four replacment bushings are needed.

Suk02Si
09-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Thats what I thought, that the rubber had to be removed and replaced with the metal piece. It wont work that way, the hole where the rubber bushing is inserted is about 10mm in diameter and the step in the bushing is about 7mm in diameter. There is no way the rubber can be replaced with the metal because of how much slop there is.

Also, there are four mounting points. You can only two in the pic, but there are two more upper ones that aren't shown.

Maybe we got the wrong bushings? :(

SiMPLE_SiMON
09-04-2003, 11:00 AM
I see what you're saying. I haven't taken mine apart yet.

When you put it back together with your original solution, does the stock metal sleeve protrude far enough downward to make contact with the new metal bushings?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-04-2003, 11:04 AM
if you bought these off ebay they're not for the Si....only the base civics.

SiMPLE_SiMON
09-04-2003, 11:09 AM
They weren't off Ebay, but they are supposed to help in the EP3, though they are 7th Gen and RSX specific.

The other reviewer removed the stock metal sleeve and rubber bushing and installed it as: bolt, shifter frame, metal bushing, mounting point. Will that work for you?

Suk02Si
09-04-2003, 11:14 AM
"bolt, shifter frame, metal bushing, mounting point"

that wont work because the metal bushing will move around in the shifter frame. The metal sleeve does pretrude all the way through the rubber bushing making contact with the metal bushing.

SiMPLE_SiMON
09-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Will the bushing actually move around once all four are in and tightened down? That's how the other guy installed them. It seems to me that they are acting more as spacers or washers than actual bushings. If everything tightens down well, there should be no movement anywhere.

Suk02Si
09-04-2003, 11:51 AM
if I place the bushing under the shift frame, and bolt it down tight, when u shift hard the entire frame may move because of the extra slop. I'll try it now and see how it work out though.

SiMPLE_SiMON
09-04-2003, 11:59 AM
I know what you're saying, but I can't imagine that the entire frame could move with all four metal bushings in place and the four bolts tightened down.

I guess it'd be nice if someone machined some bushings with the correct inner section to fit our EP3s.

cpu519
09-04-2003, 11:31 PM
I think the bushings that you got have a taller smaller-diameter portion than the ones I got. Here's what I did, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. You take out the stock rubber/metal bushings completely and don't reuse any of it. Take four of the alum bushings and put one under each hole in the shifter frame. Then bolt it down with the original bolts. If you have slop, then the inner, necked-down portion is too high and the bolt bottoms out on it instead of the shifter frame. Clamp them in a smooth faced vise and file them thinner, or use a bench grinder. Should be easy since they're only made of aluminum.

chubbychu
09-05-2003, 03:47 PM
yea...i just took out that little clyindrical sleeve. AND the rubber..and just tossed it in my used stuff bucket.

i put the metal bushings under the metal part that looks like a wishbone and just screwed it all in. =o)

Suk02Si
09-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah I just did that and went for a quick drive. It seems to be holding up okay; shifting feels much more precise now.

SiMPLE_SiMON
09-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Cool. I'll give it a try in a few weeks when I get back home.

EtherGhost
06-20-2004, 08:13 PM
I also had the same question, the step in the shifter bushings I received from Capyoda is smaller than the hole. This is how it is with everyone's bushings, correct? It seems that the alignment of the entire shifter assembly is a bit off, and I will look at it tomorrow.

Si02
07-02-2004, 07:39 PM
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_SHIFT_BUSHING

Twisted-X
08-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's the link that Si02 was referring to:
http://www.k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=26

mangvue05si
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
any did this with-out removing the shiter out of the shifter cables?

Twisted-X
09-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm sure its possible, there is a little wiggle room there. It really would come down to whether you could get the stock rubber out or not.

codyep3
09-09-2010, 01:49 AM
just installed these and the shifter base bushings, seriously best 48 dollars spent. The cable bushings were a bitch to get out, had to pretty much cut them in half to get them out lol. other than that installation was easy

ttttrigg3r
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I felt a difference after installation but this and the shifter cable bushing is too pricey for pieces of aluminum I think. I might be wrong, and they might cost a lot to manufacture.

jh604
09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
i didnt feel a difference...but there was a difference in the cable bushings

codyep3
09-10-2010, 01:34 AM
the base bushings can be felt when i shift quicker. I love the feeling of this combo, makes the EP more enjoyable to drive now. Just wish i could pick up a BCSS from somewhere

mangvue05si
09-10-2010, 01:56 PM
so i could not get it out without the bottom dash off, it WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS to get all the screws out "properly", BUT IN THE END I GOT THE BUSHING IN, anyone got some tips for the trans-bushing-cables?

Twisted-X
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
it WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS to get all the screws out "properly", BUT IN THE END I GOT THE BUSHING IN,

I hear ya, I still have scars from my BCSS/shifter bushing install 3 weeks ago! They should give you some bandaids with it...

makavelibranded
09-11-2010, 12:05 AM
And thats why im not touching these lol.

codyep3
09-11-2010, 01:36 AM
its not hard at all

mangvue05si
09-11-2010, 07:25 AM
so you are saying you could do this without the bottom dash out? PROPS TO YOU

mangvue05si
09-12-2010, 05:00 PM
This with the cable "package" is REALLY EASY ON YOUR TRANNY, IT SHOULD OF BEEN WHAT HONDA SHOULD OF USED AS OEM, rubber or metal... YOU CHOSE

codyep3
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
so you are saying you could do this without the bottom dash out? PROPS TO YOU

it takes about all of 1 minute to take it off. props to you

Garrett
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Awesome! about to order some this week! thanks for the info