PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer, Alpine, or JVC?

SiR Medic
09-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I want a head unit that plays MP3s, has a decent display, and doesn't look too out of play in my EP.

I think I've narrowed it down too these three:

Pioneer DEH-5500MP(actually, I'd probably get the Premier version)
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/130/h130DEHP550-f.jpeg

Alpine CDA-9807
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/500/h500cda9807-f.jpeg

JVC Arsenal KD-SX9350
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/257/h257kdsx935-f.jpeg

I've heard and read nothing but good things about the Alpine and Pioneer units, and I have had very good luck with Pioneer in the past... But I like how the JVC has a multiple color settings (to match the orange of the ep's dash), and the AUX input in the front (to hook up my laptop or Pocket PC)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Keep in mind that these are in my price range, and I'm not going for a GONZO system here. I will be hooking up a modest sub, stock fronts, and pioneer 2-ways in the back.

labelhunter
09-04-2003, 04:40 PM
If i had to choose one of the ones you have listed i would get the alpine. I like basic looks. I have the fosgate you spoke of a while back. The display during the day isnt that great but i never look at it anyways. It plays mp3 so i can put like 4 whole albums on one disk. so i dont look at it really. Hope i helped a little.

SiR Medic
09-04-2003, 08:04 PM
I came close to getting the Rockford Fosgate... But when I last went to the dealer he had stopped selling the head units!

When I asked why, he said that he was getting too many complaints from people saying that they skipped pretty bad...:(

He still swears by RF amps, subs, and other stuff, but won't sell RF head units till they fix that skipping problem.

Civicvtec1ps
09-04-2003, 09:19 PM
im pioneer fan. never had any problem wih my mp3 deck. no skipping no problem at all.

ATRIOT
09-04-2003, 11:55 PM
JVC makes a great deck check out the
KD-SH9750

labelhunter
09-05-2003, 04:19 AM
Have never had a problem with skipping. Just the display during the day isnt that great. I mean if i put a scratched cd in there yea its going to skip but if i burn a new one no problems. It also has sumed rca's for your subwoofer so you have control on the fly which i like.

TripleJ02
09-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Id say go wit eclipse. They are said to make the best head units available for sound.
http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/cdtuner/image/cd8443.jpg

EViLsneakyDUCK
09-05-2003, 05:01 PM
I would say Alpine since Im an Alpine fan. I got the 9815, but my sister has the exact one that you showed. Its a nice unit, but I dont know how it sounds since I've only been in my sister's car once since she had it installed.

DumbNewB
09-07-2003, 09:29 PM
I think Alpine makes really really good head units but thats just me....

SiR Medic
09-08-2003, 08:16 AM
A friend of mine just got the Pioneer DEH-3500. It's the same as the 5500, just without the MP3...

I got to say, it sounds GREAT, but the green is really bright and wouldn't look that good in the EP. I also don't like how you have to push one button to flip down the face and ANOTHER button to eject a disc... To me that should be strictly a one-button process.

I'm leaning towards the Alpine, but I would still like to hear and see the JVC up close.

humanshield
09-08-2003, 10:58 AM
alpine.

here's why. searching for mp3s is easy. next to the volume knob is a blue button that has what looks like folders on it. if you push that button, and use the volume knob, you can look through the folders really quickly. it makes finding your favorites easier than any of the other decks you listed.

also side note. the alpine has a bass control. if you ever add subs. you can control the sub level from the radio, without adding an external bass knob. nice design.

SiR Medic
09-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Looked at a couple of JVC units today, and a Rockford Fosgate...

Looked at a KD-SX990
http://www.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/33/29.JPG

Plusses: Looks (and works) great! Aux input in front. VERY AFFORDABLE! ($299 Cdn, and dealer said he "can do better than that"

Minuses: No Bass control. Not as "high zoot" as I'd like.

Also looked at a KD-LH3100.
http://www.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/33/02.JPG

Plusses: High zoot enough! Lots of options, funky custumizable display... All the features I would want.

Minuses: Ricey blue trim light.

And Lastly, the RFX9120 (EDIT)
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/575/h575RFX912g.jpeg

Pluses: Cheap($299 Cdn), beautiful to look at. Fast MP3 access.

Minuses: Frustrating as hell to try and use!

I'm still trying to decide, but I like that Cheap JVC! Good deal on a nice deck, sure I won't be able to play with Sublevels, but I usually don't like tinkering with those things anyway.

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 05:28 PM
kenwood and sony suck?

zerofighter
09-08-2003, 05:32 PM
whats up tripleoj02, i have the eclipse cd8443 and eclipse pointsource 6 1/2 inch. this a great cd player and has tons of features.

labelhunter
09-09-2003, 04:37 AM
What was so hard with the fosgate? Just wondering.

SiR Medic
09-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
kenwood and sony suck?

I just don't like the look of 'em... **shrugs** Sony speakers look really cool though!

Kenwood, well, they feel cheap...:(

SiR Medic
09-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by labelhunter
What was so hard with the fosgate? Just wondering.

Just found it hard to make certain adjustments that's all. I also got scared because the salesman said that they won't be ordering any more in... I guess they have been having trouble with warrantee issues...:(

I REALLY DID like the RF deck, don't get me wrong!

labelhunter
09-09-2003, 09:21 AM
ehhh, Its ok. like i said before the only thing about it is the display during the day. Also the glow is red, not the color of the dash light so its off just a little. not to bad. at night i think it s great. its reads the title of the songs and searching is pretty easy though the folders. i dont know i like it but i would get the alpine if i didnt get the fosgate.

TrafficJamsEp
09-17-2003, 12:05 PM
I'm the VP of a mobile electronics retail store and in my opinion, I think you should choose an Alpine or Pioneer over any of the other units you've mentioned. Remember that you get what you pay for. Also if you upgrade later, this two brands are more apt to accomodate the new gear.

SmoothOperator
09-17-2003, 02:03 PM
I just picked up (last week) the model below the JVC KD-LH3100. Only difference is mine doesn't play MP3's, and I can't download my own personal pictures. Also that ricey trim plate light can be turned off, just so you know.

I narrowed my decision down to that same ALPINE deck, and the JVC one. I chose JVC cause I've had a 12 disc changer sitting in my closet for over a year that's compatible with it. :)
I also wired up a Phoenix Gold Amp, and two Pioneer 8" subs. I realize this set up wouldn't please the Audiophiles out there, but I'm just looking for a somewhat balanced system. I'm not out to win audio competitions.

BTW medic, you will not believe the difference just replacing the deck makes. Sound quality was like night and day.

SiR Medic
09-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Over the last week I've flip-floped between the Rockford Fosgate, the JVC and the Alpine...

I JUST DON'T KNOW!

Right now, I think I'll go with the Alpine. It seems to be the safest choice, I have yet to hear or read ANYTHING bad about the Alpine unit.

Of course if I see any deals while I'm in Montreal and Ottawa...;)

SmoothOperator
09-20-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm in Ottawa as I type this. I love it here. :P

Kirei
09-23-2003, 01:23 AM
Alpine CDA-9807
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/500/h500cda9807-f.jpeg
http://static.zoovy.com/img/thewholesalematrix/W180-H180-B000000/cda9807w

Im a little confused. When I looked up this headunit on epinions, it shows 2 different colors for this model. One with blue buttons and the other with purple. I checked the specs and they all seem to be the same. Am I missing something here?

SiR Medic
09-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Well... I bought the Alpine CDA-9807.

I got a decent deal on it: $360 Canadian.

Haven't installed it yet, but it looks great!

klubhedsi
10-05-2003, 11:29 AM
I would go witha pioneer with some graphics!

labelhunter
10-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Glad to see you finally splerged. Install isn't to hard should have had it done already. Just kidding take you time. If you have the clip its pretty easy.

thoughthard
10-21-2003, 10:08 PM
I have an Alpine CDA-7840. Great unit. No problems since I got it about 4 years ago. Good stuff. BBE, 4V outputs, remote...

SiR Medic
10-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by labelhunter
Glad to see you finally splerged. Install isn't to hard should have had it done already. Just kidding take you time. If you have the clip its pretty easy.

Don't you worry none!

I was just waiting for my dash kit to come in!

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/drallen/public_html/DSCN0210.JPG

:*

sabrownfl
11-01-2003, 07:38 PM
How is the visibility of your display? I have the Alpine 7892 in my '03, and can't see a damn thing during the day! Angle of the dash makes it nearly impossible, and the faint blue leds suck. Love the H/U otherwise!

sabrownfl

SiR Medic
11-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Yeah, the visibility is real sucky during the day. :(

I helped things a little bit by angling the unit up toward the back. It took a little creative screwing(insert joke here) but I got it angled slightly better, and it is visible in daylight now.

sabrownfl
11-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Did you ISO mount, or use the DIN sleeve? There are no screws in mine at all.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/thebrownsfl/Honda%208.jpg

If I could change the angle I would, but I am seriously thinking of getting a new Clarion DXZ835, which would let me change colors to match the interior of my EP, and also has a negative screen image, which is better in sunlight.

I love my Alpine though!

sabrownfl

SiR Medic
11-02-2003, 07:31 PM
On the sides of the head unit, (make sure the domestic car adaptor sleeve is off) there should be several screw holes.

When you place the HU in the proper way, you should have two screw holes lined up on each side that match with the factory screw-holes.

Above the FRONT holes on the HU, there should be be another screw hole... These are the ones I used. This resulted in the head unit only being secured by 2 screws instead of 4, but it is still plenty solid. It also angles the rear of the unit up about 30 degrees, and makest the display much more readable in sunlight.

Screw here
. |
.__V_________________
|..O.................|
|..O.............O...|
|__^_________________|
. |
. |
Not here

sabrownfl
11-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks. I have misplaced the screws that came with the H/U, so mine is mounted in the sleeve. Looks like it is off to the hardware store to find some screws that will fit...

Circuit City did my install since the car was brand new and I did not want to make any mistakes. Instead they scratched the hell out of my dash (but replaced it with a new one.) I am sure they did it the quick and easy way, so now I'll go back and do it right!

sabrownfl

ANDYWlovesHONDA
11-06-2003, 10:00 AM
PIONEER all the way man. Alot of my friends have pioneer and its great quality. The man is right about the green but i personally think it looks badass. But yea in quality wise id definately say Pioneer bro.

MrCivic03
12-07-2003, 07:20 AM
i would say the clarion dxz735 or dxz835. they are both nice HU and i am gettin the dxz735 in jan. when i start my system. i like how they have multiple color choices and u could change the color everyday for 3 months without seeing a new color. it looks great too.

ATRIOT
12-16-2003, 10:37 PM
My JVC + Pict display. Repping ephatch.com all the way:shadesm:

SmoothOperator
12-16-2003, 10:44 PM
I really wish I had picked up the "model up" from my JVC deck. I'm kicking myself for not having the MP3 function. And after seeing ATRIOTS pic....I wish I had the downloadable pic feature too. That's sickass!

ATRIOT
12-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Yeah 10 hours of music on a $.50 cent Cd is fuckin great. The only thing is my car is littered with them, i just burn a new one depending on my mood pretty much every day. Yeah camera Pans across the pic of the EP while the www.ephach.com stays stationary. Its pretty cool but kinda limited feature.

davidc81
12-24-2003, 08:51 PM
sir medic, where did u get the silver dash kit? did you paint it?

the JigGa mAn
04-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by TripleJ02
Id say go wit eclipse. They are said to make the best head units available for sound.
http://www.eclipse-web.com/products/cdtuner/image/cd8443.jpg

agree..but they also cost ALOT but if you really enjoy your music and dont mind spending the money go for the eclipse