PDA

View Full Version : Some major and minor stuff

Chinaboy
09-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Hey guys, I have a few things that i had to ask otherwise my brian is gonna go poof.

1) I broke in the car at 600 mi, not reving not passing 4500 on the tach, and no speeding past 75 mph, and broke in the breaks at 200, so does that mean that I did a proper break in for this engine? or should I of done it at 1500 as a break in?

2) I never red line, but get pretty damn close, if i red line what kind of prepercussions can happen? Saying I dont do it often.

3) YOu guys say that the K20 engines burn oil like crazy, so does that mean that I should take it to my dealer now at 900 miles to get a quick oil change? because it might have been burning? (refering to a recent post about oil) Should i change it because I broke in the engine? Because I need to flush my engine of the grim from the break in?

4) Some bitch knicked the upper lip of my rear wheel well because when they parked next to me the car did a shit of a job, end up opening the door and hitting the upper lip, so are dings and dents easy to fix from a body shop and how much they cost?

I think that is about it, god i love my hampster car. It juss nice to see this car take shape, at first it looked wierd then it grows on you, and the next thing you know, your loving it so much =D

thanks guys, Peter

civic hatch boi
09-04-2003, 07:04 PM
1)you did a great job breaking in your car. 600 is fine. some people dont even wait that long.

2) redlining the car is fine. quite a few people here take it up to 7700 with hondata so 6800 is no big deal. just try not to hit the limiter too often.

3)yes the k20 burns engine. but only when new.. at 900, u might need more oil, but dont have to take it in to dealer, just top it off with oil at home. also, dont get an oil change until later. like 5k?

4)keep the small dings, they're like battle scars :)

Chinaboy
09-04-2003, 07:10 PM
thanks civic hatch boi, that really helps thanks alot... btw what kind of oil comes with our hatches? Mineral Oil or synthetic? Juss so i know what to add into the car this weekend... next thing is well, if the oil burn up in the engine, does that mean that the engine break in metal and grim will stick back into the engine?

civic hatch boi
09-04-2003, 07:25 PM
for ur first question, its just regular 5-20w oil. not synth. dunno about ur 2nd quest :)

Heitzke
09-04-2003, 07:31 PM
"I think that is about it, god i love my hampster car"

Man, just when i thought i was the only one that calls it a hampster car. Awesome stuff.

droideka
09-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Chinaboy
1) I broke in the car at 600 mi, not reving not passing 4500 on the tach, and no speeding past 75 mph, and broke in the breaks at 200, so does that mean that I did a proper break in for this engine? or should I of done it at 1500 as a break in?

Yeah, that's what I did too. Wait, what's break-in again? ;)

Chinaboy
09-04-2003, 08:20 PM
thanks for the replys yall,

yeah the hampster car thing is a name that we are branded with hahaha, but in anycase, I always shruged it off until my girlfriend commented taht it looked like hamtaro... its like a cartoon hampster thing... *sigh* eversince then, I couldn't shrug it off =D

Ahhh so it is mineral, cool cool, someone told me it was synethic... and i was scared shitless because they say when u break in, you want mineral, becasue synethic is too silky and it won't rough up the engine and the stuff won't ware in as well.

droideka, I really want to forget the break in, but incidentally, the TSX is comming in a week, so I got that car to break it now, but hopefully it will be easier with that one.

civic hatch boi
09-04-2003, 08:58 PM
to clear things up.. it's spelled HAMSTER :)

icegrill
09-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

4)keep the small dings, they're like battle scars :) [/B]

Tru dat! Don't fuck with small stuff it only makes the problem worse.

As for the oil keep the factory stuff in until at least 3500 miles it's got special molys and things like that. Just top off with castrol 5 20.

Good looking out.;)

Chinaboy
09-04-2003, 09:26 PM
castrol 5.20 non synthetic right? can I use other brands too?

BlasTech
09-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I think it was "civicracer.com" or "IfixHondas"who works at a dealership and said that they use Penzoil 5w-20.

civic hatch boi
09-04-2003, 09:45 PM
use any name u want. pennzoil, castrol, honda, citgo, etc

Kirei
09-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Heitzke
"I think that is about it, god i love my hampster car"

Man, just when i thought i was the only one that calls it a hampster car. Awesome stuff.

I like to refer it as the "mini odyssey"