PDA

View Full Version : creaky clutch

Spidey
09-05-2003, 01:39 PM
does anyone's clutch creak right when you put pressue on it?
i thought maybe the pad was making the noise, but it's not.
it sound like a floor creaking.
it's only when you intially apply pressure on the clutch.
ok bye bye!

red-sir
09-05-2003, 01:48 PM
my dealer guys greased it up twice already..but it's still doing it...I give up...I can tell they're getting tired of me complaining this and that...Im tired too...I give up man...my next car will be a toyota

Jpax
09-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Some people have nad to take there car into service to fix the problem, If i remember right its the bushing , were the lever connects with the car, that bushing they replaced for the creaking sound, but yea make an appointment to have it looked at, they will replace it for free, just take the tech on a drive with yea.

civic hatch boi
09-05-2003, 03:47 PM
pax, after they change the bushing, the creak is gone for good?

Type X
09-05-2003, 05:38 PM
mine kinda loud all of a sudden

little creaks back in the day
now just LOUD

sk2oi
09-05-2003, 11:11 PM
I have had this same problem. The part in question is the Clutch Master Cylinder. After bringing it in for the third time they replaced it, and the creaking noise is gone.......for now....

Kirei
09-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by red-sir
my dealer guys greased it up twice already..but it's still doing it...I give up...I can tell they're getting tired of me complaining this and that...Im tired too...I give up man...my next car will be a toyota

I dont see how its going to help. Good luck with a toyota

sniperSI
09-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Mine did this and when i brought it in for service.

I just went out and read the service write up.

"Lubricated clutch pushrod into cylinder".

I no longer have that sound.

EP33
09-06-2003, 09:20 AM

Yeah that's what I did, got under the dash under the steering wheel, removed the fuse panel (one twist realease knob and pull it down). Push the clutch pedal with your hand and check out the rod going into the firewall. You'll see the spring (or something) inside the hole move around when you feel/hear the creak. I sprayed white lithium grease inside of this opening while pushing the pedal and the noise is gone.

Hope this helps.

SiRRider
09-06-2003, 09:59 AM
I have had the same exact problem as you guys and they just dont want to do anything. I told them again and they just say we havent heard anything about a problem with the SIR,SI. Do they think we are stupid???? Well if anyone has real success please reply with a solution. THanks

sniperSI
09-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by EP33

Yeah that's what I did, got under the dash under the steering wheel, removed the fuse panel (one twist realease knob and pull it down). Push the clutch pedal with your hand and check out the rod going into the firewall. You'll see the spring (or something) inside the hole move around when you feel/hear the creak. I sprayed white lithium grease inside of this opening while pushing the pedal and the noise is gone.

Hope this helps.

Surprise
09-06-2003, 10:22 AM
All you need to tell them is look at TSB number 02-002 issued in Jan 2002, it covers this "Clutch Pedal Squeak Upon Application."

Spidey
09-06-2003, 10:24 AM
well it seems there is a couple of options to think about.
I'm coming up to my 1st major service so I think I'll get them to
try lubricating the clutch pushrod. If that doesn't work then get them to replace the master cylinder.

thanks for the tsb surprise.

blacksihatch
09-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Yeah I got the same problem with my clutch, I am just going to take mine in since the car also smells like rotten eggs sometimes. Thank god for a warrenty.

NBP_03Si
09-06-2003, 09:51 PM
yep, i also have it i though it was just me but i see i was wrong, i will get it fix then.

natesi
09-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by blacksihatch
Yeah I got the same problem with my clutch, I am just going to take mine in since the car also smells like rotten eggs sometimes. Thank god for a warrenty.

My dealer showed me a TSB for that and says it's normal. I have 12K on my car and an hopeing the cat burns out soon so it quits stinking.

ep3
09-07-2003, 11:48 AM
did you already try usng a higher octane?? someone suggested that on a thread,and my rotten egg smell was gone. my clutch also creaks alot. what will happen in the long run if you don't get this fixed, cuz like people have been saying, it just comes back?

EP33
09-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Lube the creaks in the spot where it looks like someone shot a load of white lithium.

bsams
09-20-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks ep33 I was just going to tell them to read your post. That is the solution.:)

jaytee
09-21-2003, 04:08 PM
wow, thanks! i was going crazy...thought it was only my car that had the squeeky clutch and rotten egg smell. i guess i'll just phone up the dealership and make an appointment. i'll even show them this page if they dont' know whats going on :)

ep3
09-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Lube the creaks in the spot where it looks like someone shot a load of white lithium.

where is this at??? under the dash?? also do i just lube it up with multipurpose grease, or wd40?? thanx.

EP33
09-21-2003, 09:22 PM
It is under the driverside of the dash. The black "arm" going down the pic is the top of the clutch pedal. I used White Lithium Grease. It can be found in you local auto parts store and should come with a straw to attach to the spray nozzle. Just get under the sterring wheel, remove the panel which sits right above your legs if you were driving. Can't go wrong. I would not advise using WD40 or any liquid lube. Use grease. . .it'll stay where you put it.

Accordexcpe95
09-21-2003, 09:27 PM
It is under the driverside of the dash. The black "arm" going down the pic is the top of the clutch pedal. I used White Lithium Grease. It can be found in you local auto parts store and should come with a straw to attach to the spray nozzle. Just get under the sterring wheel, remove the panel which sits right above your legs if you were driving. Can't go wrong. I would not advise using WD40 or any liquid lube. Use grease. . .it'll stay where you put it.

gotta do it tmr, gotta do it tmr, gotta do it tmr :D

ep3
09-21-2003, 09:58 PM
thanx!!! has it ever creaked again since you put that lithium grease in?

David K.
09-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Funny it's such an easy fix; my dealer replaced my whole clutch pedal assembly. It was good for all of one week, then it started up again. Guess I'll try this (much) easier fix.

vie-tec
09-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI
Mine did this and when i brought it in for service.

I just went out and read the service write up.

I no longer have that sound.

Same here and it took 2-3 hrs. to get
my car back.After that my clutch is koo
no more stupid noise.

EP33
09-22-2003, 10:29 AM
This has worked for me for a few weeks. I recommend pushing the clutch pedal with your hand while greasing it.

Nevertheless the noise is gone and the clutch pedal action is silky smooth:D

CleanBlackSi02
09-22-2003, 02:23 PM
What about a squeaky throttle?

EP33
09-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Use 91 octane:D

Really dough. . . .haven't heard of that 1 yet. I have 34000 miles and the throttle is fine on mine.

kenis138
09-23-2003, 09:18 AM
dealer replaced my whole clucth master cylinder...
no more squeak but now the pedal feels super light and the engagement point seems too low....
dunno, ill see how it goes. mebbie just because its freshly looooooooobed.:D

cbecker333
09-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by sk2oi
I have had this same problem. The part in question is the Clutch Master Cylinder. After bringing it in for the third time they replaced it, and the creaking noise is gone.......for now....

my CMC is being replaced as we speak..should get the car back tonight. We'll see...

ep3
10-11-2003, 05:06 PM

what brand of lithium grease did you use and what local auto shop did you get it from??? i went to pep boys and kragen today and they only had them in tubes and none of them came with a straw or spray nozzle, and it looked like it wasn't white either. thanx

EP33
10-12-2003, 09:35 AM
I purchased this can of lithium over five years ago. . .I think I bought it from autozone. . .which was chiefs back then. Mayb this pic will help.

BlasTech
10-12-2003, 10:15 AM
I had my bushing replaced by the dealer, and maybe the CMC (they didnt list it, but they did get into the engine compartment and remove the battery for something).

three weeks later, it came back.

I sprayed the cable hole (down behind the pedal) with silicone grease, it worked.

three weeks later, it came back.

Next I used some gunk lithium grease, that was 4 weeks ago, and so-far-so-good.

ep3
10-12-2003, 07:49 PM
I purchased this can of lithium over five years ago. . .I think I bought it from autozone. . .which was chiefs back then. Mayb this pic will help.

thanx ep33. you da man.

sonic imperial
10-13-2003, 08:19 AM
I've got silicone spray grease and about every 3 weeks I have to reapply it. Why doesn't it work any longer? I have no idea.

kenis138
10-14-2003, 05:36 AM
master cylinder repl under warranty 2 months ago...no probs since:D

BlasTech
10-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by sonic imperial
I've got silicone spray grease and about every 3 weeks I have to reapply it. Why doesn't it work any longer? I have no idea.

"Gunk" Lithium Grease seems to last.

k20beast
10-15-2003, 12:02 AM
my clutch has that same noise and it pissed me off but my exhaust covers that noise so im not trippin any more lol

AkronSi
10-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Ok, I must be retarded or something (no comments please), and I can't get the damn fuse panel cover off.

I looked in the manual, and the picture is totally wrong, they show tabs on the side and mine doesn't have that.

I twisted the little lock thingie, but there is a clip in the front (on the opposite side of the knob) that I can't get to budge. I've tried pushing and pulling every way......but, not super hard because I'm afraid to break it. It's also connected in the rear by some little plasitc support arm, that seems to slide pretty freely though.

Any advise?

Do I just have to pull super hard? Also, it seems like someone stuck a bunch of paper towels up there, does everyone else have that?

Thanks.

ep3
10-16-2003, 04:14 PM
try getting the one in front out first. i too had that problem. and yes i got those paper towel pads in mine too.

itwasfate02si
10-16-2003, 04:22 PM
I've also had my clutch master cylinder replaced....two months later, who would have guessed the clutch starts creaking again. I just haven't gotten around to taking it back yet. I have five more complaints other than the pedal, i think I'll get one more then take it in, since it takes so long to order parts.....

Anyone have a sunroof that rattles....mine for some reason has started to rattle while it's open.

Sarah

Grookes
02-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Bump!

I just took mine in for a creaky clutch and the dealer said Honda issued an "updated part" for it. I think they replaced the clutch master cyl. My clutch felt really quick (mmm...fresh lube....) and the creak has not come back. That was just last week.

For those of you continuing to lube things yourself, you may want to consider taking it in for your warrantied "updated part."

SiRman
02-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah had my clutch master cyl. replace too.
Started to squeek again, although not as loud as before, within 2 days. Took it back again to complain, they said the noise is within reason and can't do anything unless it gets worse, but my complaint was documented.

Siman
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
if they replace it with the SAME part just NEW, its gonna do it again and again down the road...mine does it but i am not going to bother with it....if it falls apart, i will get it fixed...these warraty thingies are getting annoying:rolleyes:

GODZILLA
02-04-2004, 04:31 PM
my 02 does the same thing, it only eaks if you press the clutch in slowly or release it slowly. the ole clutch mechanism(whatever) does'nt enjoy stop and go traffic. i thought about trying too spray something on the cluch pedal linkage, but i did'nt have time too take half the car apart the day i looked at it, so nothing. it gets worse if i go through an automatic carwash or it rains heavily. 16000 dollars and squeeky cluches mix like oil and water.:mad:

Mugen Power
02-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Siman
if they replace it with the SAME part just NEW, its gonna do it again and again down the road...mine does it but i am not going to bother with it....if it falls apart, i will get it fixed...these warraty thingies are getting annoying:rolleyes:

That's what I'm afraid is gonna happen IF Honda ever decides to fix our trannies. :yellm:

siver-SI
02-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Well my car started today. Or at least I noticed it today. I had my grandmother in the car so I had no radio on and I heard the creak. It does the sound about 2 times as it goes down. Also since I am paying attention to it I can feel it in the foot. Since I never heard the sound with my radio on I thought what I felt was just bumps in the road.

I can bet for me it is the master cylinder. With the nochie problems that I have had with the trans even Honda said it could be the master cylinder for that. But every time I brought the car in they said they could not reproduce the problem so it never has gotten fixed.

I would say two problems that I am having and both of them are fixed with with a new master cylinder I would say that has to be the problem. :)

Get to see how my new dealership is going to handle me. I just hope they fix it right. When I was on the phone with Honda with the trans they said that no parts on the trans needed lubing and if they did that ment they were defective. All the parts are sealed parts.

mickey.si.cakes
03-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Surprise
All you need to tell them is look at TSB number 02-002 issued in Jan 2002, it covers this "Clutch Pedal Squeak Upon Application."

what is a TBS number.....and how will this help me if i tell the dealer this?...im having the same problem....thanks

jake

siver-SI
03-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mickey.si.cakes
what is a TBS number.....and how will this help me if i tell the dealer this?...im having the same problem....thanks

jake

I was wondering the same thing. I am taking my car in on the 16th for this problem. It was the fist day they had a loaner avaliable. Also what does the tsb say?

Grookes
03-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Grookes on 2/4/04
Bump!

I just took mine in for a creaky clutch and the dealer said Honda issued an "updated part" for it. I think they replaced the clutch master cyl. My clutch felt really quick (mmm...fresh lube....) and the creak has not come back. That was just last week.

For those of you continuing to lube things yourself, you may want to consider taking it in for your warrantied "updated part."

It's been over a month now, and no creaking. Seriously guys, ask for and get the updated part from Honda if you're having issues with this.

mickey.si.cakes
03-04-2004, 01:49 PM
so i just go to the dealership and ask for the updated part for the squeaky clutch issue?....are they going to know what im talking about? thanks.

jake

Spidey
03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
I just told them to grease the clutch master cylinder.

Mine still creaks once in a while but it's nothing major so I'm not going to pursue it.

t-rex
03-04-2004, 07:20 PM

jake

Actually, it's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). It's basically like a "secret" recall. It's not brought up to owners unless they bring it up first.

I'd like to know if anyone has noticed a loud popping noise coming from the clutch while going from first to second. Mine has been doing that lately...not every time, but enough to cause concern.

Grookes
03-05-2004, 09:35 AM
so i just go to the dealership and ask for the updated part for the squeaky clutch issue?....are they going to know what im talking about?

I would say "My clutch has a squeak and I've been told Honda has released an updated part for it. Can you get that updated part for me?" At least "updated part" was the name given to it by the repair tech I worked with.

HondaMan
03-05-2004, 10:33 AM
I have this situation/problem as well. I'll get it fixed sooner or later. ;)