PDA

View Full Version : engine power wash

halos02Si
09-05-2003, 10:17 PM
i have a power washer in my garage and wanted to clean my engine bay real nice. can anyone help me out by explaining to me the parts under the hood that i should cover. i have an injen cai as well, but i've heard that as long as you have your car running while you clean the engine that you shoud be fine.

heres a quick pic of my engine bay..could someone circle the spots that should be covered when washing.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p136973349835e34bb867bcbbfa01e58a/fb605195.jpg

thanks again :)

raiyo
09-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Power wash it? How many PSI does your washer push out? I wanna know the results, keep us posted on how it comes out. Sorry I couldn't help much. I wanna do it myself, heheh. I wonder if my Graco 3050 with the widest fan tip will be to strong.

halos02Si
09-05-2003, 11:21 PM
thans anyways..atleast im not the only one wanting to do this.....my power washer pushes 1650 psi....i think that should be just fine....im not going to do anything just yet till i get a little more information....ill keep you posted though

swapp99
09-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Most important thing is to cover that fuse box. No need for very high water pressure. Watch out for the moving parts when working under the hood while the engine is on ..dohhhh! I shampoo the engine first with a wash mit and use 409 on the tuff spots. hosing off must be done efficently don't soak it to death. if possible, use an air hose to help it dry faster. When dry, I spray silicon hose treatment on any rubber parts.

halos02Si
09-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Most important thing is to cover that fuse box. Watch out for the moving parts when working under the hood while the engine is on

so i cover the fuse box right....and when you say moving parts...you mean belts right.....but there should be no problem if i wet them.....one more thing....could you give me a quick list of the products you use to wash your engine so i have an idea of what to purchase because this is the first time i will be doing this

thanks

Ph0nK
10-01-2003, 07:46 AM
So let me get this straight: I should cover the fusebox and that's it? no need to wory about an ignition coil b/c we have coilpacks, but should I cover the coilpacks?

I want to do the wet engine, use simple green, scrub a little, and rinse engine thing, but I don't want to get something wet that shouldn't be.

Any help?

AkronSi
10-01-2003, 09:22 AM
I think that pressure spraying your engine is sort of overkill (unless it's really, really dirty).

I'd give it a good soaking with a good automotive degreaser, work the really dirty areas with a rag or brush and then just hose off with a normal hose (maybe even try without a nozzel).

Like swap99 said, use some compressed air or even a leaf blower to get most of the water out. Then start it up, that will help it dry faster too. Then dress all the rubber and plastic with your favorite dressing.

oldschoolimport
10-14-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
Then dress all the rubber and plastic with your favorite dressing.
Bleu Cheese :D :D :D

Oh, sorry, I'm at work and hungry.

Zigen5
10-14-2003, 08:13 AM
I would just cover the fuse box and air intake. I've washed 2 of my older cars and thats all I did.... I used a engine degreaser and a engine detailer... It looks brand new again!!!!:cool: BTW, when you get your engine washed at a detailing place, all they use is Armor to shine it.. :eek: :D