PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 Mile maintenance...Yes or No???

JasonS1
09-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Here's my situation.....

My 02 si just turned 10,000 miles and the Maintenance Required light comes on. I stop by my local dealership and ask him what the 10,000 mile maintenance procedure all involves and how much will it cost.

Here's what I was told they would do:
- Change my oil and filter
- Change my air filter
- Disassemble and inspect my brake calipers
- Adjust emergency brake
- Turn the dash light off

All for $100.

Well, I just put $60 worth of Redline Full Synthetic oil in about 2 thousand miles ago, so I don't want them changing my oil yet.

I have a fairly new AEM CAI, so I don't need my air filter changed.

I don't really think it should be necessary for them to disassembly my brake calipers yet...what you you guys think???

My E-brake does feel a little loose, and could use adjustment.

I don't know how to get the dash light off myself.

The dealer said that they would leave the oil and air filter alone, and charge me $60 for the remaining items.

Should I do this? Is there any way I can adjust the E-brake and turn the dash light off myself? Am I risking voiding my warrenty because I did not comply with Honda's suggested maintenance schedule by having a Honda dealership do this?

Your thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated.

- Jason

seattlecivic
09-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Save yourself the trouble and just shell out the 60 bones! :-) You will be able to sleep better at night. Don't forget to clean your CAI once in a while too. K&N Filter cleaner works great. You can see all that nasty dirt just run right off...

HondaMan
09-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Highly unlikely you will void your warranty for not doing the 10,000 mile service (I skipped it). I change my oil myself on a regular basis and clean my K&N Typhoon when needed. I have almost 13,000 miles on it right now. So, I would say No. I'm sure your brakes are fine and don't worry about the e-brake for now...I can't remember exactly what you have to do to adjust it...I think it is just a matter of adjusting the e-brake connection to the rear brakes and/or adjusting things under the e-brake boot, but don't quote me on that.

Resetting the light is explained in your owners manual, if I recall correctly you just have to hold down the trip mileage knob on the speedo for like 10 secs after turning the key off and back on.

seattlecivic
09-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Yeah, save your money... forget what I said about the 60 bones... your E-brake is still fine for another few thousand miles unless it is really loose. HA! Just don't park on any hills.

Also, I read about the light being reset in the owners manual too. If you don't have one still then you can find it on Ebay. Seems like lots of people keep bidding on them lately. Wierd, don't you think? Those are my two cents.

:D

Civicvtec1ps
09-07-2003, 01:39 PM
you can do all that by yourself. save some money
:cool:

Brettnyt
09-07-2003, 02:07 PM
I got one a 10k mile maitenace reminder in the mail... I have my car since October 27th and only have about 5,200 miles on her... :D

JLannoo
09-07-2003, 02:21 PM
$60 for oil? Thats just nuts :eek:

JasonS1
09-07-2003, 04:57 PM
First of all, thanks for the input. I'm just going to go and re-set my light and forget about it.

Also, that was a typo when I said $60 for oil. The oil was $9/quart, and then shipping to me was $10 (my Honda dealer just recently began to carry it). So my oil was actually more like $50 with tax. Still a lot of money, but worth it in my opinion. I've only heard good things about Redline products, and think that it's good insurance. Just my $.02.

Thanks again.

- Jason

03silverEP
09-10-2003, 12:55 PM
honda dealers suck, just trying to get your money

-keep the redline
-keep the k&n
-hold the trip button in for 10 sec. like it says in the manual
-save $100

bloodzombie
09-10-2003, 01:00 PM
It's only $60, I would do it.

I'd rather have receipts showing that you did all the scheduled maintenance for when you go to sell your car, you can get your $60 back then.

blacksihatch
09-10-2003, 01:47 PM
I just got some coupons for an oil change from my dealership. $10 off oil change and free tire rotation. If you have a K&N filter then don't worry about it.