PDA

View Full Version : HID not for sale anymore

raiyo
09-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Not sure about other states, but in Calforinia they aren't for sale anymore. They say you can't even buy them, even for off road use. Just straight up illegal to use/buy. The news been going on for a few weeks, just remember to post this up.

My girl friend's cousin works at a body shop and he told me the news. I then asked a friend who works in a car parts store, and he said it is true. He said, you can't buy it anymore, but if you want one I can get one for you.

As for those BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.........that comes with HID, I dunno if they will still have em anymore for the newer versions. I think they still would, but you can't buy them for your Honda/Toyota/etc.

Anyone else heard about this?

TrippZ
09-20-2003, 09:45 AM
thats stupid. why would they ban something like HID's? i dont understand what harm could come out of being able to see farther into the horizon. maybe alot of poeple complained of being blinded?

ViViDPeArL
09-20-2003, 09:49 AM
has anyone READ this at the DMV or anything? cuz all i hear about this issue is...i heard this...i heard that. seems like no one has any soild info. :mad:

EP33
09-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Brighter Lights (not adjusted too high) are a helluva lot safer than dim ones. Put it like this, I am glad my grandmother's Lexus has HID headlights.

This sounds like BS

MKD
09-21-2003, 01:30 AM
HID retrofiting i.e. installing an HID bulb in a light housing not designed for it. Selling these retrofit kits is not legal as of 8/16/03
A fine of 20,000 dollars for each peice sold, yes selling one retrofit bulb if caught you could be fined 20 thousand dollars.
These retrofit kits were giving D.O.T. aproved HIDs a bad rep, so the manufactures of HID componets pushed it thru so they still have there oem acounts

StrangeShadow
09-21-2003, 04:13 AM
I think I'm gonna wait and get the 04' type-r projectors.

Z-49
09-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by MKD
HID retrofiting i.e. installing an HID bulb in a light housing not designed for it. Selling these retrofit kits is not legal as of 8/16/03
A fine of 20,000 dollars for each peice sold, yes selling one retrofit bulb if caught you could be fined 20 thousand dollars.

what if you have had hids before 8/16/03? can you get popped for having then on?

MKD
09-22-2003, 09:49 PM
The law applies to retailers, they figure that sooner or later the bulbs or whatever will stop working and you won't be able to buy replacement parts, and that will take care of the purchaser. Some states prohibit brighter lights than stock period. It depends on the attitude of the officer.

Z-49
10-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by MKD
The law applies to retailers, they figure that sooner or later the bulbs or whatever will stop working and you won't be able to buy replacement parts, and that will take care of the purchaser. Some states prohibit brighter lights than stock period. It depends on the attitude of the officer.
:cool: so i can roll like this all night?

djcubinlinx
10-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by MKD

They will still sell them. They will put "For Off-road use only" on the package. They do that now for almost every part on the market.

EP33
10-09-2003, 11:47 PM
HID NOT FOR SALE (http://www.fet-usa.com/news_reviews.asp)

Well lastweek I saw these on a shelf in a SoCal store. . .wonder if they know about this?

K-Series
10-10-2003, 04:26 AM
Damn, so it's not just Cali that's effected?

That blows.

Brettnyt
10-19-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Z-49
:cool: so i can roll like this all night?

Damn, i wish I had money for HID...