PDA

View Full Version : Q about REAR SWAY

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 10:45 AM
well, i just put on my type S rear sway bar. DocofMInd told me i should preload the suspension(dont tighten stuff while in air).. but i did anyways. does that really matter? my rear left is 0.5" higher, is that due to tightened things up in the air? thnx

02-sir
09-08-2003, 01:37 PM
maybe, maybe not. you can easily loosen and retighten it while it's sitting on the ground to make sure. If you do, you only need to do this for the mounting brackets, you can leave the enlinks alone.

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 02:04 PM
really?? i was thinking the opposite. i was going to loosen the endlinks and leave the bushings alone..

02-sir
09-08-2003, 02:13 PM
there's very little play between the endlink studs and the holes, but there's some, so it will help. there's more clearance in the bracket holes, and since they are closer to the middle of the car, a little motion there will let the ends of the bar move alot (wherever their un-loaded rest postion is) you can do it from the endlinks, but since they're harder to loosen I thought it would be easier my way. In the end it doesn't really matter, as long as the bar is not pre-loaded in the rest postion.

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 02:15 PM
so the reason my left side is .5" higher can be because of a bolt too tite in the middle?

02-sir
09-08-2003, 02:24 PM
well not from being to tight, but if it's put in crooked or if you have adjustable ones (like hotchkiss) and one link is longer than the other, the bar will preload the car to one side.

If you unbolt the sway bar, and one side of the car is still higher than the other, than it's not the sway bar. It could be a bunch of things really, no car is perfect.

good luck

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 02:31 PM
oh i get what you're saying... just loossen the bushings so the sway bar will center :) sorry im an idiot hahaha. thnx for the help :)

one more questoin.. how the heck would i get under the car w/o it being lifted? that seems impossible. note: im dropped 2.25" on neuspeed races haha.

02-sir
09-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
one more questoin.. how the heck would i get under the car w/o it being lifted? that seems impossible. note: im dropped 2.25" on neuspeed races haha.

sorry, I can't help you with that one. since you're in LA, why don't you park it on the beach and dig your way under?!:p

civic hatch boi
09-08-2003, 03:15 PM
hahhahah. ill try that:) thnx for ur help bro.

chunky
09-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
oh i get what you're saying... just loossen the bushings so the sway bar will center :) sorry im an idiot hahaha. thnx for the help :)

i dunno man, i'm dropped 2" on h&r sport springs, I have a 48" chest, and I could get under there no problem to do the install.

02SilverSiHB
09-09-2003, 08:18 AM
I had mine jacked up when I installed the comptech rear sway/tie bar. I torqued everything down then lowered the car. No problems at all.

chunky
09-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I had mine jacked up when I installed the comptech rear sway/tie bar. I torqued everything down then lowered the car. No problems at all.

re-torque the endlinks when you have the car down. chances are, you didn't get the endlinks seated all the way if you did it while the car was raised.

02SilverSiHB
09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by chunky

re-torque the endlinks when you have the car down. chances are, you didn't get the endlinks seated all the way if you did it while the car was raised.
hhmmm, nah, I made sure I did, just checked again to make sure. When I tightened them down, I watched to make sure they were seating down all the way. Guess I've been lucky these past view times :)