PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your oil changed?

CgSi
08-25-2002, 10:23 PM
Read the owners manual and it said I need to buy a special wrench from the dealer to remove the filter. Is it true ? Or is it just like any other car?

Thanks

HondaMan
08-25-2002, 10:26 PM
I seriously doubt it...I watched the JiffyLube dudes change it with no problem. I was going to change the oil myself but couldn't drive it up my ramps because its too low now...hehe. :)

Mr.02BlackSIguY
08-25-2002, 10:46 PM
when are u suppose to change ur oild on the EP for the first time? i have 3700 on it rite now

HondaMan
08-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr.02BlackSIguY
when are u suppose to change ur oild on the EP for the first time? i have 3700 on it rite now

I would ASAP, but that's personal preference. I have 2,260 miles on my ride right now. Normally I change it approx. every 3000 miles.

Febrezee
08-25-2002, 10:59 PM
I've been changing mine every 3000

CgSi
08-26-2002, 12:06 PM
If you look in the owners manual it shows a weird ass pic of where the filter is ?? I guess I'll just have to get under there and figure it out.

IceD out N CALI
08-26-2002, 01:24 PM
did my first oil change at over 5k.

CgSi
08-26-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
did my first oil change at over 5k.

Did you personally do it ?
If so, is it just like any other car and is the filter easy to find ?

Thanks

IceD out N CALI
08-26-2002, 01:49 PM
I didnt do it. Took it to the dealer 14.99 special and had it done in about an hour + they washed my car. :)

DynaSpeed
08-26-2002, 01:53 PM
I didnt do it. Took it to the dealer 14.99 special and had it done in about an hour + they washed my car. Where was this at? anywhere in between West Hollywood and Santa Monica? I looked all over for something like that and found nothing.

CgSi
08-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Has anyone done their own oil change ?
And should I switch to synthetic?
I'll be at about 3,000 miles.

Thanks

HondaMan
08-26-2002, 02:17 PM
On Hondas, the filter is normally on the back side of the engine...between the engine and firewall and not hard to get reach at all.

CgSi
08-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info

Anyone have any opinions on switching to sythetic on first oil change ?

2fastcivic
08-26-2002, 02:27 PM
the manual says to put a new washer for the nut on the oil pan. did anyone do this to their car? im gonna change my at 1500 miles. i have 750 right now.

IceD out N CALI
08-26-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Where was this at? anywhere in between West Hollywood and Santa Monica? I looked all over for something like that and found nothing.

Sorry its Fontana. They send me those coupons every couple of months with their specials.

xlr8
08-26-2002, 05:46 PM
i changed mine. im going to try and find that wrench. i had to punch a hole in the filter with a screwdriver to turn it, my filter wrench doesnt get small enough. yes you should replace the crush washer evertime you do an oil change, if you buy honda filters they give you one with it. if you dont want a big pain in the butt let someone else do your oil changes

SpacemanSpiff
08-26-2002, 06:32 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you xlr8. To me, changing the oil is fun and not too much trouble. Also, when I change the oil I know that I am doing it right.
No one else will take care of your car the way you will, not the dealership and definitely not a quick lube place. They use cheap oil, cheap filters, overtighten things, and make other mistakes that I won't make because I'm anal retentive about my car.
To me, the potential of having to get "Crappy-Lube Inc." to replace my engine is more of a pain in the butt than doing an oil change myself every now and then.

xlr8
08-26-2002, 06:59 PM
yeah your right thats why i do my own. i was just posted about how difficult it is to get to and remove the filter. just have a little spare time. its not as quick as it was on my cx

1fastminivan
08-26-2002, 09:23 PM
I had trouble taking the filter off too! I thought it was just me!
I didnt want to punch a whole in it. So I had to take it to the dealer the next morning and have them change the oil. Is there a special wrench like it says in the manual? I would really really love to change my own oil but that was just Fu**ing a pain in the arse!

Rummey
08-27-2002, 01:57 PM
Basically special wrench just means small. Luckily my step dad had to wrenchs - large and small.

I had a hard time getting my car onto ramps since the front is so low. I ended up jacking up the sides with a jack and placing the ramps underneath the tires.

It was tough to get the wrench off at first, but if you play around a little there is plenty of room to the wrench tight and pop it off...

Mike

02-sir
08-27-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by CgSi
Thanks for the info

I would wait for the second oil change but there are no hard and fast rules.

CgSi
08-27-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 02-sir

I would wait for the second oil change but there are no hard and fast rules.

YES ! an answer. I'll guess I'll wait then

xlr8
08-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info

i asked that question at king motorsports before i changed my oil the first time. they said its broken in well enough by the time you do the first change. they also said to do one between 3000-3500 miles, same as my dealer said. im now running redline 5w30 full synthetic

SpacemanSpiff
09-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Just did my first oil change @3500 miles. No problems. Although I really dislike where the filter is.
I found a filter wrench at PepBoys. It is a Ritefit Oil Filter Cap Wrench, size F. It fit on the factory filter and the Mobil1 filter that I replaced it with.

Cone Killer
09-01-2002, 05:39 PM

YES ! an answer. I'll guess I'll wait then

Dude! There is no reason to wait. Synthetic is good for low and high mileage vehicles. Don't worry about it. Chaning your oil is obviously not bad for the car and using a better oil is not bad so do it!

HondaCivicSi
09-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Where can I get a crush washer from. I got the oil and filter, but I need a crush washer. I just bought a filter from wal-mart. I got the one for the RSX. Thanks

Cone Killer
09-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by HondaCivicSi
Where can I get a crush washer from. I got the oil and filter, but I need a crush washer. I just bought a filter from wal-mart. I got the one for the RSX. Thanks

if you are talking about the washer on the oil drain plug, go to a dealership and get on for 10 cents. I got about 20 so I didn't have to go back for awhile.

silver ep
09-03-2002, 07:27 AM
Im thinking about going to the dealer, but they will probabally put some cheap oil in my car. I cant do it myself because I dont have all the tools to do it. Can you buy oil and take it to the dealer and say "put this in"?

Also I think Im going with Mobile 1 but what weight and what oil filter should I use. I know this stuff has been talked about but I couldnt find any strait answers
:(

DynaSpeed
09-03-2002, 07:29 AM
Most dealers will put any oil and any filter you want in your car (within reason). Mine does.

SBC31
09-03-2002, 08:20 AM
I go to my dealer, and you can bring your own oil there or at any oil change shop for that matter.

HondaCivicSi
09-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info cone killer.

Mechanic
09-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Read the owners manual and it said I need to buy a special wrench from the dealer to remove the filter. Is it true ? Or is it just like any other car?

Thanks

I can answer this. Yes, the filter on our cars is about a third smaller in diameter than the "old" Honda filters. I hoofed it from dealer to dealer trying to find one a filter wrench and finally had to order one (a real HONDA filter wrench) on-line. It has a Honda part #07HAA-PJ70100. The same part from Acura is PJ70101. Honda, of course, loves their filter wrenches, so I ended up paying $21. (I'm sure it must be available elsewhere for less, but I didn't have the part # when I started looking. Lucky you.)

GeNoZiDe
04-28-2003, 07:17 PM
i changed my own oil, but my honda dealer didnt sell the wrenchs so i went to Canadian Tire to buy one for 6 bucks canadian LOL
didnt really take that long
i put int Redline 5w30 oil (racing oil hehe) 16 bucks a quart canadian had to put in 5 of those
nice oil though i feel the difference :D

FailureToStart
04-28-2003, 08:20 PM
I changed my oil at my friend's gas station (after his boss went away for the weekend hehe). Castrol 5w30 was used. Conventional oils are already so good that they don't need imitation...but if you're inclined to spend 2-3 times more for oil than so be it.

As for the filter, I'd use one of those squeeze/vice grip circular handles to pull it off.

I highly recommend that everyone does their own oil change. I know my friend isn't careless or lazy like so many of the people that perform his job, but I had to ask him about stupid and severely messed up things that some of his coworkers do. He said he's seen so many of them pour, let's say 20w50 or 10w40 into cars like ours that are supposed to be using 5w20. Also, he's seen them overfill and underfill engines, as well as spill oil on the header, very bad. Just an FYI for you guys that trust these people. I sure as hell don't. :eek:

2k3vbpEP
04-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Well, Redline is good stuff, it is the only oil I have ever tried where the engine actually feels smoother with it. I have used penzoil, castrol, mobile 1, etc and redline is the best I have used. It is expensive though. I would also wait until about 10,000 miles before using synthetic. Usually about 90% of the breakin happens within the 1st couple hundred miles but will continue for atleast 5000-10000 miles. You will probably be safe just waiting till the 1st oild change but who knows.

Mad02Si
04-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Only problem I had was finding the location of the filter when I did I just move to a good leverage spot abd got a good grip on it and it came right off. I got a fram filter the first time and it's shorter than the OEM honda one, It worked but this last time I used a bosch and next time I will probaly move to a Mobile one filter and start useing the Synthetic.

JruSi02
04-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Personally I'm going to change/get mine changed every 3k, right now i'm at 5600 so by the end of the week i'll be ready for the 2nd change, i've heard many times change over to synthetic at around 10k so i'm gonna do it at my 12,000 change, but for all of you people usin 5w30synthetic dont you feel something different? cause some other people had said their car feels a bit more sluggish usin 5w30 instead of 5w20 so i think i'm gonna go with either castrol synthetic blend or amsoil fully synthetic until mobil1 or castrol makes a fully synthetic oil for 5w20. i'd change it myself but i havn't done it before so i know i'd screw somethin up, plus when ya take it somewhere they lubricate the chassis and suspension and if your worried about them bein careless you can watch them do it, plus i have a shop that'll do all that for only $10 bucks

NMTSi
04-29-2003, 09:48 AM
as someone who puts synthetic 5w30 in my car, i can tell you that the car does not feel sluggish. and that when i was putting non-synth in (castlox gtx) i was getting about 2200 miles between oil changes (after that the engine would strain at higher rpms at full throttle), and that this set of 5w30 synth is about ready to be changed (i'm just starting to notice that the car doesn't quite go up to redline like it did when i first put in the oil, but no straining yet) at 3500 miles.

if you can, do it yourself. it's not that hard. if you're worried about fucking something up, find someone who's done it before, and have them hold your hand.

you'll need to get a wrench thing from an automotive parts store (i got one that fits on the end of a ratchette at napa) unless you have really strong hands. and you'll need some way of lifting your car (ramps, jack stands, etc.). and a metric socket wrench. but you should have these basic tools anyway.

you'll need 5 quarts of oil, and a filter. if you get mobile 1, 5 quarts will run you $20-$25 and the filter will be about $5. castrol gtx was about $10 for 5 quarts.

siver-SI
04-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Just wondering what wrenches will work in size? I think I saw you need a 66MM. I work at snap-on tools so I am wondering what kind of wrench do I need?

Also what oil would you say is the best for are car? I am thinking synthetic oil for the most part. I saw the post and links to the oil filters and how they rate and I just do not want a Honda Filter on my car.

Cone Killer
04-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Just wondering what wrenches will work in size? I think I saw you need a 66MM. I work at snap-on tools so I am wondering what kind of wrench do I need?

Also what oil would you say is the best for are car? I am thinking synthetic oil for the most part. I saw the post and links to the oil filters and how they rate and I just do not want a Honda Filter on my car.

It just boils down to how often you want to change your oil for the most part. As for getting the filter off, I got an expandable wrench from autozone and it works fine.

FailureToStart
04-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I just do not want a Honda Filter on my car.

Just a funny piece of food for thought, but if you were to buy a Fram filter, you'd be buying the same damn thing...a Honda filter. As stated in a separate post (and from Honda's own asmission) the filters they sell are nothing but differently decorated oil filters with blue plastic and the word Honda written on them.

It would be like saying you don't want to buy a Toyota Corolla because they are too trendy so you buy a Geo Prizm instead.:D

siver-SI
04-30-2003, 08:09 PM
The reason I did not like them was because of the cut ups that I did see. I thought a Honda Filter would have been better made then that and I thought a fram would have been better done that that. I was shocked to see that a Mobil 1 filter and a STP filter are all most the same.

jandetuning
05-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Honda filters are good, but if you can find the HAMP (Honda After Market Parts) filters that are imported from Japan, use them. They are made by Toyo Roki, and they are the same filters Spoon uses on their cars.:cool:

kenis138
05-02-2003, 12:21 PM
A couple times, I had my oil changed at one of the places you stay in yer car and they have the "pits" under the floor. First time, I heard the guy say "What the hell is with the filter placement? Whoever designed this should be shot." Second time, I heard the guy say, "What is this, a Kia?!"

Heheh, guess our filter isnt the most user friendly piece of equipment.

todaCspec
05-02-2003, 12:53 PM
I was looking at the Honda filter(U.S.) and looking at the Fram filter. I notice the thing in the middle(when you look strait down the filter) , it was metal(Honda filter) and the Fram was more of a card board like(brown) material lubricated w/oil. No the Fram was not a used one, i've checked the other Fram filters as well and they were the same. Any reason why they look different if they're basically the same filter? Can Honda filters come from different suppliers w/in the U.S.?