PDA

View Full Version : Bad way to start the morning need tips

dtexan
09-09-2003, 06:48 AM
This morning I was riding to work with my girlfriend in her one week old 2003 Accord coupe and a truck with a trailer tried to change lanes at the same time she did and the tire on his trailer rubbed against the side of the car door putting a strip of rubber down the side about 2 inches wide. I only had a second to look at it before I had to go into work. I'm thinking the paint is ok cant see any dents atleast. Just wondering how i'm going to get the rubber off the side off the car. I'm praying that it didnt gouge the paint any. I was thinking about trying a tar remover or Goof Off type cleaner then follow up with scratch X if there is any damage. Any tips would be greatlly apreciated. I really dont want to have to repaint a week old car :( When I ran my fingers across the paint it felt like the rubber was just on top. I'm going on break in like 15 min to go look at it. wish me luck thanks dtexan

dtexan
09-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Well I just checked it out doesnt look to bad just unsure about a couple of spots. The paint is discolored but feels smooth. I'm not sure if the tire burned the clear coat or what any ideas how to repair this or should I take it to a professional detail shop? thanks

AkronSi
09-09-2003, 07:45 AM
I'd try to fix it myself first before taking it to a pro. You could try some tar remover to see if that helps get the rubber off, and then try something like Meguair's Dual-Action Cleaner Polish. If the clear coat is already burned, I don't think you could really do any more damage. Who knows....it might turn out "good enough."

Good luck.

dtexan
09-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Yeah i'm not sure what the scenario for repairing this is going to be. How can you tell if the clear coat is burned also is there any way to polish it out. I really dont want to repaint it. I'm think that tar remover then Scrath X. What about meguiars Clear Coat Body Scrub Paint Cleaner then polish then wax? The color of the car is metalic blue. Thanks for the replies

2QK4U ALLWAYS
09-09-2003, 08:40 AM
I had the same thing happen to me on my old car use gas and a rag dip the rag and wipe off then hose off immediately after ward removes wax and all but will not damage the paint , if you see discolorasian then the clear coat is burned then take it ti a detail shop they can buff it back to almost original
Good luck

dtexan
09-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the help and recomendations I'm going to try and fix it tonight when I get off work. when it happened to you before did the paint feel smooth where the tire rubbed. Some spots you can feel it on the surface and some you cant just feels really smooth

dtexan
09-09-2003, 09:10 AM
I just called meguiars and they told me to use 1. clay bar 2. scratch X 3. Wax Hopefully this will work. I just waxed the car 2 days ago with there medallion series wax so hopefully that helped protect the clear coat some

dtexan
09-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Do the clay bars really work for this type of situation? I've used them before to smooth out paint but nothing like this...Any more ideas or suggestions

AkronSi
09-09-2003, 12:29 PM
The clay will just help remove the rubber from the surface. It won't actually remove swirls, scratches or anything like that. If the Scratch X doesn't work...I'd look for something a little more aggressive. Some Autozones and places like that will have some of the Mirror Glaze products (the pro stuff in the tan bottle) from Meguair's. Scratch X is really mild.

You might want to PM "team" (I'm pretty sure that's his ID). I think he works for a bodyshop, so he might be able to give you some more tips.

dtexan
09-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks i'll see if I can locate him I'm just freaked out about it since its still new. I'm going to work on it tonight when I get off work then. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks again Dtexan

dtexan
09-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Should I notify my insurance company about this before I begin cleaning the car or take a picture??? not sure what to do Will my rates go up if I claim this?

AkronSi
09-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Unless you can't fix it and it's going to cost more than 500-1000, I wouldn't even contact the insurance. You don't want to get a bunch of stupid claims on there.

Let us know how it goes.

NuG
09-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Try Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Remover. I've had nothing but great results. Scratch-x works but it seems like you have to apply it everytime after you wash the car or the scratches are visible again. good luck

dtexan
09-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Last night I was able to bring the car back from the grave... looks great I used 3M Tar remover folowed up with Scratch X. Tomorrow I will use a polish to even everything out a little better then a coat of gold glass on top. I'm really luck there are no dents or major scrapes. After I finished working on her car I installed my KN Typhoon Intake that I had gotten in yesterday. That thing really screams now.. thanks for the help I highly recommend scratch x worked great... thanks dtexan

MrCivic03
09-13-2003, 10:21 AM
ya it works but have to reapply every wash... try the 3M scratch remover it is for dark/light colored cars. lasts long looks better than scratchX and is best with a orbital. also if u use a liquid wax u might want to try a paste. it lasts longer and is a more shiny gloss when done right. but if u dont have time keep usin the liquid gold class( it is a great paste wax btw but it is good liquid too).

My .02 have fun, nice work .

SiR Medic
09-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Did you get the plate # of the guy with the trailer?

He was at fault... You should have just taken the car to a Pro-Detailer and make him pay for it!

dtexan
09-14-2003, 05:14 AM
The thing was that we didnt know he had hit us. Really couldnt tell. I felt a little vibration and thought maybe it was road noise or from trailer shacking next to us. If I would have know for sure it would be on like donkey kong.... lol