PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak...wtf?

bigcase
09-09-2003, 08:34 AM
i am getting a few little droplets of oil coming from the underside of my car. its on the right front side of the car very near to where the suspension links to the body. i thought that it may have been excess oil coming from where the oil filter was changed, maybe a little spillage, but it has persisted past that. anybody have any clues? when i got my oil changed this weekend i asked the guy while he was under there to look and see if there was any place leaking oil that he could readily see, but he was like "no, i no see anything". i think he was just trying to get out of work, but whatever. i am making an appointment to take my car to the dealer and have them look at it, but i was wondering if any of you may have had that problem.

HondaMan
09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Was the oil drain plug washer replaced during the last oil change? If not, this would cause the type of leak you are talking about and in the same location (I know first hand...I forgot to replace it after an oil change job). Replace it with a new washer or reuse the old one but if you have more than one oil change on the washer I would replace it, and double check that the drain plug is torque

bigcase
09-09-2003, 09:44 AM
that sounds about right. i thought that it might be residual non cleaned up oil leakage and what not, but it persisted waay after my last oil change. do you have to replace the washer every time? i hope my dealer doesnt try to charge me for that damn washer, they shouldnt huh? i dont know. but thanks for the helping hand man.

HondaMan
09-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Yes, if I recall correctly Honda says to replace that washer at every oil change and they cost less than $1.

Stoop
09-09-2003, 10:09 AM
I agree with HondaMan, there is probably still residual left on the suspension from the last time the oil got changed. Honda sure wasn't thinking when they located the filter right above the suspension. Even when changing my oil when I have it up on the rack, I still have a problem cleaning up all the areas where oil drips down.

Another buddy of mine had to replace his oil pan on his EP cause of a factory defect with the drain bolt. It was cross-threaded when it got removed the first time and couldn't be put back in without leaking. But I haven't experienced any problems like that with mine. I think it was just a weird quirk with his.:o

Hope some of this information is helpful to you. Best luck.

03silverEP
09-10-2003, 11:35 AM
ordered 5 online at a total cost of ..............$.95 or .19 cents a piece........

bigcase
09-10-2003, 11:48 AM
where did you order em from? i want to go ahead and get some of those. preventative maintenance.

potator
09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
:shockm:

03silverEP
09-11-2003, 07:18 AM
i got them at http://www.handa-accessories.com/

online honda parts cheaper than the dealer

www.hparts.com probably has them also

additionally regarding oil changes www.inlinefour.com sells spoon magnetic drain bolts (2 piece, oil and tranny) and honda 'green-HAMP' oil filters, for that added protection

blueiedgod
09-11-2003, 08:26 AM
has anyone install those "quick drain" plugs from Fram? They look like a little faucet with a piece of hose that attaches to it to drain. I have been thinking of one, but it still did not solve the filter problem. Maybe a filter relocation kit would work.

potator
10-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Crap, I didn't even know there was such a thing as an oil drain plug WASHER, let alone me never even changing mine. I've only had two oil changes so far, and as far as I know, the mechanic didn't replace no drain plug washer. Is my car still safe? I'll definitely tell the mechanic to replace it next time for sure.

HondaMan
10-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Well, it will not hurt your engine or hender safe driving not having the drain plug washer but you will experience oil leakage, so just check your oil level. Plus, it would be obvious if you were leaking oil bad i.e. oil spots under your car and/or oil around the drain plug. Just keep an eye on it till your next oil change.

I looked for a "quick drain" plug by Fram for the EP, but I didn't see that they made an application for our cars at this time.

STP03BlueSI
10-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Yea i change the gasket for the plug every time:blushm: thats what honda says to do

todaCspec
10-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan

I looked for a "quick drain" plug by Fram for the EP, but I didn't see that they made an application for our cars at this time.

They don't list it for the EP but it's the same as the previous Gen civic. Fram doesn't list a oil filter for the EP but it's the same as the RSX.

You don't necessarly have to change the washer but since it so cheap and the manual does recommend it, I'd just change it. However even if you do change it, it can still leak. You just have to make sure that you place the plug in at a right angle and have the washer catch the pan at the righ spot when tightning it. This has happened to me a few times, I just loosen it a bit and then retighten it and leak no more. Mechaincs will never change the washer unless you ask them to, afterall they would have to order it and you really don't hear of any problems.

Mad02Si
10-02-2003, 11:08 PM
Just go to your local dealer for those washer I did and got 20 or so for 2.50. I kept seeing drops of oil in my garage and I found out it was the plug. Replace the washer each time and save yourself the trouble.

HondaMan
10-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec
They don't list it for the EP but it's the same as the previous Gen civic. Fram doesn't list a oil filter for the EP but it's the same as the RSX.

You don't necessarly have to change the washer but since it so cheap and the manual does recommend it, I'd just change it. However even if you do change it, it can still leak. You just have to make sure that you place the plug in at a right angle and have the washer catch the pan at the righ spot when tightning it. This has happened to me a few times, I just loosen it a bit and then retighten it and leak no more. Mechaincs will never change the washer unless you ask them to, afterall they would have to order it and you really don't hear of any problems.

Ah, well it appears they do make Sure Drain for the EP & I know they make oil filters for EPs...I've used one before (yep, same as RSX base)...here is the data straight from Fram.com:

Current Vehicle Selection: 2003 HONDA Civic Si

Engine : SOHC CNG D17A74-2.0L F/inj. DOHC Fram

Click on the part number for product specifications and additional information.

Type Brand Name Part # Notes
Sure Drain - Drain Plug Sure Drain SD2
Oil Filters Extra Guard PH6607
Oil Filters Tough Guard TG6607
Oil Filters Double Guard DG6607
Oil Filters X2 ----------
Air Filters Fram CA8911
Misc. Filters Fram ----------
Fuel Filters Fram N/S
PCV Valves Fram ----------
Transmission Filters Fram N/R MT
Trans. Modulators Fram ----------

I'll probably pick a sure drain for the next oil change. :)

blueiedgod
10-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Ah, well it appears they do make Sure Drain for the EP & I know they make oil filters for EPs...I've used one before (yep, same as RSX base)...here is the data straight from Fram.com:

Current Vehicle Selection: 2003 HONDA Civic Si

Engine : SOHC CNG D17A74-2.0L F/inj. DOHC Fram

Click on the part number for product specifications and additional information.

Type Brand Name Part # Notes
Sure Drain - Drain Plug Sure Drain SD2
Oil Filters Extra Guard PH6607
Oil Filters Tough Guard TG6607
Oil Filters Double Guard DG6607
Oil Filters X2 ----------
Air Filters Fram CA8911
Misc. Filters Fram ----------
Fuel Filters Fram N/S
PCV Valves Fram ----------
Transmission Filters Fram N/R MT
Trans. Modulators Fram ----------

I'll probably pick a sure drain for the next oil change. :)

They list wrong engine code for the Si. They listed it as D17, not K20

HondaMan
10-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
They list wrong engine code for the Si. They listed it as D17, not K20

LOL, I noticed that too.