PDA

View Full Version : hi all -- first post, first questions

banky
09-09-2003, 10:42 PM
hey everyone, this is my first post here at ephatch.com. just wanted to say whats up... and to ask a question that had been bugging me for some time now.

im in the market for a new car, as ive sold my 92 240sx, along with it were my dreams of a sr20 swap, and being the next drift king (lol), i just wanted a new car. so now here is my dillema...

at first, my heart was set on the RSX-S, but trying to think out of the box and be more reasonable, the EP3 was the best next thing. i can afford either or, but the RSXS will just be a bit more tight. i love the RSXS because of its out of the box quickness, styling, and potential, i hate it because of financial issues. the ep3 would be awesome because of its price, im assuming its potential, and innovation put into the design.

im looking for a car to mod, i plan on autoxing, drag, and most importantly, a daily driver. if you were to put an RSXS vs an EP3, what would be your pros and cons for each? also, im planning on buying the car sometime during christmas time as i am currently in a financial bind =/ should i wait for the 04 model to come out for the ep, or would ok for an 03. if i were to get an RSXS, it would have to be used (02).. also insurance on the S is 325 and the ep would be 300 (im 18) ;x

anyway, thanks for any input, advice, comments, etc, in advance.

banky

bobdobbs
09-09-2003, 11:04 PM
I was in your shoes about a month ago. I could have bought either car. I went for many test drives in both and when it came time to decide, I found the RSX-S to be a little too pretentious for me. It's felt like a tarted-up Civic trying to fool you that it's not really a Civic. The Si is also a tarted-up Civic, but it doesn't pretend to be anything else. In the end, I saved myself $6000 and got a car I like better. No regrets.

AntiReality
09-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Well..the best advice would be to go out and test drive both and see how you like them. I loved the way the SI feels and drives, and I'm sure with some good money, time, and work, that the SI will be a great performer in autox, drag, etc. It just depends on how far and what direction you wanna take your car.

Kirei
09-10-2003, 01:55 AM
you're 18. do the more practical thing and get the EP. You dont need to end up working your ass off just to make your payments for a stupid car. There are more important things in life.

Hatch, Si Hatch
09-10-2003, 05:24 AM
The 04's will get a "updated" look, search around these boards and you will find the pics. Personnally I like the 02-03 look better and if you are waiting to Dec. anyway you will be able to get a good deal on a 03. I got my 02' on the last day of december in 2002 and got it for like 15,500.

The EP has alot of potential in my opinion for auto-x. When I was running in G stock I was constantly coming in first place and always placed in the top 3.

redorb
09-10-2003, 07:13 AM
I looked at plenty of cars before I bought this one. I ended up paying 16,000 for a 02 after TT&T and saving a lot of $$. I would also be financing the extra $$ therefore paying interest on it. Do the math and the research and see what you can do with that extra $$. Don

banky
09-10-2003, 03:56 PM
yeah i think im going to do the more reasonable thing and probably get an EP.. the DC5 would probably add a lot of stress in my life with me trying to make payments and such.. hopefully i can get an EP in december for some of the prices ive seen thrown around on this board.. like 15-16 thousand is awesome for a 03 SI thats like 7 or 8 thousand less than the DC =O anyway, if i were to head into a dealer right now, what would be the price i should be expecting? i guess in december is when they start their sales? thanks again guys

banky

IceD out N CALI
09-10-2003, 04:55 PM
be sure to weigh the real world consequences of the car u buy. if u get the rsx-s i'm sure you'd like it much better, but payments probably be about 100 bucks more a month. Is that gem sitting in your driveway worth it? think about the future too. you dont want to get tied up in high payments, cuz over time bills start adding up. However the ep is slower and not as much potential in it, and arguably not as asthetically pleasing. if you still can't decide, dont get either. make sure u are 100% on the decision is my two cents.:)

Surprise
09-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Also make sure to look at insurance rates between the cars, as well as fuel requirements. The rsx is actually pretty close to the same economy 24/31 vs. 26/30 but requires premium. For the average driver that means 10% more per year in gas.

EP2002
09-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Just get the damn 03 si!!! (the 04 looks ugly)

bobdobbs
09-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by banky
i guess in december is when they start their sales?

The sales have already started. carsdirect.com lists the '03 Si for $16,221, without any haggling. And Honda is offering 1.9%/60-month financing right now. You might be able to get it for a few hundred less in a few months, but you won't if there aren't any left. I found an '03 in the color I wanted, with 4 miles, still in the factory plastic, so I bought it. If you decide you don't like the '04 changes and want an '03, you should buy when you find the car you want. Just remember to take a printout of the carsdirect.com listing to the dealer. They will price-match to make a sale.

Chinaboy
09-11-2003, 07:48 PM
find the 03's si, like me three weeks ago, take advantage of their 1.9APR, and the drop down 7 to 8K like me, and then make monthly payments of 175 a month... its great.

Chinaboy
09-11-2003, 07:48 PM
find the 03's si, like me three weeks ago, take advantage of their 1.9APR, and the drop down 7 to 8K like me, and then make monthly payments of 175 a month... its great.

mental
09-11-2003, 10:26 PM
stop wait and breath in and out very slowly... now just chill and wait a few months till we get the CTR and you will be set! DONT BUY AN Si WHEN IN A FEW MONTHS YOU COULD HAVE A TYPE-R...:D :D :D

EP3_DC5
09-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
I was in your shoes about a month ago. I could have bought either car. I went for many test drives in both and when it came time to decide, I found the RSX-S to be a little too pretentious for me. It's felt like a tarted-up Civic trying to fool you that it's not really a Civic. The Si is also a tarted-up Civic, but it doesn't pretend to be anything else. In the end, I saved myself $6000 and got a car I like better. No regrets.

LoL, there you go again with your talk of the RSX being a "tarted up Civic".
That's BS. The RSX has it's own, better, more solid feel. The rsx is a faster, more upscale, better handling car. You can't argue with that! My gf loves her SI, as do I. But she will be the first to admit that the RSX is a better car all around.
You ever driven a 911 and a Boxster? Same difference. The Boxster is a great car, but the 911 is just better!

To the starter of this thread: You only live life once. Spoil youself, get the RSX-S! =)

banky
09-11-2003, 11:50 PM
hm, i was wondering if that comment on the CTR was true? does anyone know when we should be expecting the release of the CTR? if it were to come out tho, i would think that it would be priced considerably higher than what you can get an SI for, maybe the same price as a RSXS...

banky

EP2002
09-12-2003, 06:34 AM
hm, i was wondering if that comment on the CTR was true? does anyone know when we should be expecting the release of the CTR? if it were to come out tho, i would think that it would be priced considerably higher than what you can get an SI for, maybe the same price as a RSXS...

It's just a dumb rumor. I'll be very suprised if the CTR does come out in the states.:D

IceD out N CALI
09-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by banky

banky

ctr is not comming. people have been talking about it for years

banky
09-13-2003, 08:11 AM
i cant wait to be getting the car.. but the problem is i wont be able to take advantage of the 1.9%APR because i would be a first time buyer with little to no credit. im 18 so i havent had much time to build up any credit so i guess im classified in the little to none bracket. *sigh* the only good thing is the car will be fairly cheap for an 03.

banky