PDA

View Full Version : 21st Century Insurance.....

raiyo
09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Anyone has em? How are they about coughing up money when they need to? Thinking about switching to them, much better rate than what I have with Progressive.

For those who has a bad/good rate with your current policy, you should get a free quote with them.

DjMacAtack
09-10-2003, 08:12 AM
theyre really cheap if you have a clean record, but the moment you fugg up they will quintople your rate.

on the bright side, they do pay up really quick.

raiyo
09-10-2003, 07:03 PM
thx for the info.

JR03si
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I used to have them for about 6 years before switching to Allied. Like DjMacAtack said, their rates are low as long as you have a clean driving record.
About 3 years ago, while with 21st Century, I backed into a car that was stopped behind me in a small parking lot. It was a minor accident and my car was fine, but the other car needed a new fender. At the time I was 20 yrs old and my rates went way too high after this. 21st Century treated me as though I did something horribly wrong (might as have hit 20 more cars while I was at it).
I stayed with 21st Century until I got fed up with them continually changing my rates left and right. This crap happened even after my accident was over a year old. I asked them why they were doing this and they told me that they were raising the rates for everyone. Why? Just because...apparently it was just that time of the month again. So I said screw it and went with Allied Insurance through the San Diego Credit Union. They are much cheaper and my rates don't fluctuate...thank God. You should get a quote from them. My experiences with 21st Century may not be true for everyone, so you could by perfectly satisfied with them. Just be prepared to pay through the roof if you get into an accident though. Good luck with your decision.

raiyo
09-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Just that one accident and they keep changing your rates? How much do they raise?

When you guys say "when you mess up, they'll raise your rate." Does that include other people hitting/damaging your car?

ep pilot
09-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Yeah I've got 21st I was screwed when I got my Ep, didn't research rates prior to buying....anyway after I got home called about 10 diff companies, all about 15-25% higher than 21st, and to boot, 21st let me in 6 mons free, no money down, since I already threw down some serious cash for a down pymt on my car.

I am 25, clean record. my rates are $185 per month, $500 comp $500 liab deductible.

I give 21st a B+ rating so far.

I had Allstate prior to getting 21st, I give them a D+ if your car gets wrecked w/ Allstate, you get aftermarket & used parts on your car, and you can't say no.

21st pays full replacement if you total in a year, if not, all new OEM parts go into fixing your car.

-Ryan

JR03si
09-10-2003, 09:50 PM
21st Century didn't change my rates around because of that one accident (which was over a year old already). They did it due to the fact that they felt it was necessary to raise the rates at various times for ALL of their customers. I found this really odd and so did my parents who had them at the time as well. It was a guarantee that your rates were going to change from time to time, but you never knew when. They had no clear explanation for it and that was that. Either you dealt with it or you left. My parents, who had perfect driving records, immediately left when this started happening and went with Allied. I soon followed.

If I remember correctly, my insurance rates with 21st Century went up about $40 per month due to the one car accident. That's $480 more per year, which is way to high for a minor accident with minimal damage and no injuries. My age played a role in it too, but I had been driving for about 4 years with a clean record.

As far as other people hitting/damagine your car, I don't think your rates will go up unless your always getting hit. I did get screwed though by 21st Century in one accident that wasn't my fault. One day I was waiting at a red light and when it turned green I started to go, but ended up hitting a Bronco that came hauling a** through the intersection on a red light. There were two witnesses at the accident who said that she was 100% at fault and I got their names and phone numbers. The driver of the Bronco, a teenage girl, even admited that she was responsible. So I told my insurance company the story and gave them the phone numbers of the witnesses. Everything seemed to be going fine until they called me up a couple of days later and told me that her insurance company refused to take responsibilty. Apparently, she lied and told them that she was stuck in the middle of the instersection while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so that she could turn left. She said that I saw her, but didn't give her a chance to complete her turn through the intersection. So instead of 21st Century following through and fighting for me like they're supposed to they just decided to work out a deal with the other insurance company where the girl and I pay for our own damage. 21st Century told me that I was 50% at fault, but my rates wouldn't go up. What a load of crap!

All I have are bad memories with 21st Century. They let me down time and time again. That's why you should really be careful and look around for other auto insurance providers. It seems like they're not there when you need them, but definately there when they want more of your money.

raiyo
09-10-2003, 10:28 PM
thx to another lovely reply, I won't go with 21st.

JR03si
09-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to shove my opinion down your throat. That's not my intention at all. I was just telling you about my experiences with 21st Century because I want to give you an idea of what they were like for me as a customer.
I haven't had them for about 6 months, so maybe they have changed the way they handle business. If they're offering you a better rate than Progressive than try them out. You may be completely satisfied with their service and if your not you can always switch. Good luck.

raiyo
09-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by JR03si
If they're offering you a better rate than Progressive than try them out. You may be completely satisfied with their service and if your not you can always switch. Good luck.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I might give them a try, or Esurance.com or Costco insurance. I was shocked to hear Costco carrys auto insurance. They all are giving me a much better rate than Progressive. So far Esurance.com gives me the more options, since they have custom part/loan-lease coverage. Both Costco and 21st raises your preinium now and then.

How are Allied?

raiyo
09-10-2003, 11:48 PM
I just called up 21st, and they said they "don't" raise there customers rate now and then. He said that they only raised only twice within the last 10 yrs.

As for the messing you up on an accident, oh...my....good. Just played around with there quote online, and I got $957 for a 6 month period. After I get into an accident when it is my fault, my premium went up to 2000, ouch.