PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

CanBox
09-10-2003, 07:00 AM
I picked up my EP a few days ago and now that I've had the chance to put on 250kms I figured I'd summarize my initial impressions. The car was purchased to replace a stolen GS-R...

Looks: I like it. At first it was kind of weird looking to me (but so were the 92-95 hatches) but it is definitely growing on me. On it's own it looks small but when parked next to anything else you can see that it is actually a fairly big car... my Boxster looks tiny next to it.

Steering: I can't quite nail down the steering. It feels a bit weird... I setup for a turn and then it feels like the car dials in just a bit more steering and I have to back off. The steering feel reminds me a lot of my force feedback steering wheel :D I'd be interesting in reading up more on the EPS if someone could guide me in the right direction.

Handling: I'm much more impressed with the handling than I was on the initial test drives. Roll isn't as bad as I remembered and the ride is reasonably firm although I still look forward to putting the Mugen suspension on. One minor incident last night but that was might fault for forgetting that I wasn't still driving my Integra with suspension mods and sticky tires :o I hope to replace the tires next spring but the first order of business is getting some good winter tires fitted.

Interior: I like the interior. The seats are comfy and everything seems to be in the right place. The shifter looks different but in reality the placement relative to the steering wheel doesn't seem all that different from my Integra. The throws are pretty good and it's really easy to feel it go into each gear.

Pedals: I don't like how soft the clutch and gas pedal feel are, or how mushy the brake pedal is. The clutch/gas thing seems to be typical of all Civics I've driven and is something I'll get used to (the Integra was noticeably stiffer IMHO). I'm hoping a set of Hawk pads and replacing the brake fluid will help with the braking.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the car and I've yet to doubt my decision. When you consider the discounts that most people get on these I think they are great value. With a bit of work on the suspension, tires and brakes I expect to have a fun corner carver. The information I found on this site was pretty valuable in helping me make my decision. Thanks!

blackyEP3
09-10-2003, 07:41 AM
NICE!!

how much you pay for you SIR??

You got a boxster so I am guessing this is your "winter beater";)

Some of the guys in the GTA are meeting up at Midland and Steeles today!! You should drop by and show off your beater! :D

CanBox
09-10-2003, 07:51 AM
The car was just under $27K out the door (15% tax, licensing, freight, etc).

I prefer not to think of it as a winter beater :) ... it is replacing my GS-R which was more or less a daily driver/track car. That car was kept in immaculate condition and this one will be also I hope.

I would drop by but I'm in Ottawa :D I must admit that I've been craving Krispy Kremes lately though so I'll have to make the trek there one of these days.

STP03BlueSI
09-10-2003, 08:19 AM
I will try and find something about the EPS, i work for Saturn and we have had EPS for the past 2 years in the VUE, and now in the ION. Let me get to work and i will find some info for u:D

OH and Welcome to the site!!!

CanBox
09-10-2003, 08:24 AM
I should have followed up with regards to EPS... I've been doing some research and realized it also comes on the Insight, S2000 and NSX. I've driven an S2000 and I never noticed anything different about the steering so maybe it is all in my mind :)

I found a link that describes how it works on the Insight that others might find useful:

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/eneps.html

If you can find more details or specifics about the Civic that would be cool.

STP03BlueSI
09-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by CanBox
, S2000 and NSX. I've driven an S2000 and I never noticed anything different about the steering so maybe it is all in my mind :)

The s2000 is RWD correct(if i am wrong then say so), so i think you wouldn't feel it as much.:o

Type X
09-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Why Did Honda Use EPS?

Honda went with an electric power steering system mainly because (1) It's compact and light and (2) it's not parasitic (robbing power from the engine) since it only draws electric power on demand. But it also provides precise control and is easy to vary the amount of assistance with an electric unit. Plus it's simpler to install (especially in a mid- or rear-engined car), there are no hydraulic lines to break, and it's quieter.

How does the EPS sytem work?

The system consists of a rack-and-pinion steering gear with an electric motor installed concentrically around the rack. The motor transmits its power through a recirculating ball drive mechanism to push the rack right or left.

A "steering sensor" is located on the input shaft where it enters the gearbox housing. The steering sensor is actually two sensors in one: a "torque sensor" that converts steering torque input and its direction into voltage signals, and a "rotation sensor" that converts the rotation speed and direction into voltage signals. An "interface" circuit that shares the same housing converts the signals from the torque sensor and rotation sensor into signals the control electronics can process.

Inputs from the steering sensor are digested by a microprocessor control unit that also monitors input from the vehicle's speed sensor. The sensor inputs are then compared to determine how much power assist is required according to a preprogrammed "force map" in the control unit's memory. The control unit then sends out the appropriate command to the "power unit" which then supplies the electric motor with current. The motor pushes the rack to the right or left depending on which way the voltage flows (reversing the current reverses the direction the motor spins). Increasing the current to the motor increases the amount of power assist.

The system has three operating modes: a "normal" control mode in which left or right power assist is provided in response to input from the steering torque and rotation sensor's inputs; a "return" control mode which is used to assist steering return after completing a turn; and a "damper" control mode that changes with vehicle speed to improve road feel and dampen kickback.

If the steering wheel is turned and held in the full-lock position and steering assist reaches a maximum, the control unit reduces current to the electric motor to prevent an overload situation that might damage the motor. The control unit is also designed to protect the motor against voltage surges from a faulty alternator or charging problem.

The electronic steering control unit is capable of self-diagnosing faults by monitoring the system's inputs and outputs, and the driving current of the electric motor. If a problem occurs, the control unit turns the system off by actuating a fail-safe relay in the power unit. This eliminates all power assist, causing the system to revert back to manual steering. A dash EPS warning light is also illuminated to alert the driver. To diagnose the problem, a technician jumps the terminals on the service check connector and reads out the trouble codes.

02TafWhtSi
09-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Awesome explanation X! I love tech articles :)