PDA

View Full Version : anyone elce have a gas gauge that doesn't work??

03silverEP
09-10-2003, 07:42 AM
I fill up at 1/2 tank and it only takes 4-4.5 gal. it's a 13.2 tank, wtf?? anyone elce have this problem?

Mugen_EP
09-10-2003, 07:47 AM
I have an pesimistic gas gauge.:D Which I guess is better then it saying I have more gas then I really do.

JSIR
09-10-2003, 09:11 AM
mine just pisses me off, I'll arrive home with like 1/8th of a tank left before the E mark, then I'll go out an hour later and the needle is at the bottom of the E mark, drives me crazy. But Ive never had your problem . There is a procedure listed in the shop manual on how to test the guages, might be worth a try.

Joey

NamingException
09-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Unless my gas light comes on with 3.5 gallons in the tank still, my tank only holds ten gallons.

Mugen_EP
09-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by NamingException
Unless my gas light comes on with 3.5 gallons in the tank still, my tank only holds ten gallons.

lol yup thats when its set at coming on....kinda nice to know you dont need to worry when you see the light come on though.

02NJHondaep3
09-10-2003, 11:31 AM
One time my gauge didnt work. I restarted my car and it went up. Since then i havent had a problem. I got scarred tho.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
09-10-2003, 11:56 AM
This has been an oversight before. The EP must be off when filling it with gas. The fuel guage will not reset until the car is off for a bit. I filled my tank with the car on and the gauge stayed empty until I left my car off for almost a minute. When I restarted, it went right up the Full mark.

Just an FYI.

NamingException
09-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP

lol yup thats when its set at coming on....kinda nice to know you dont need to worry when you see the light come on though.

Damn... to think of how nervous I've gotten when the light came on and I had to think about how many miles away the closest gas station is... wow. That's still a lot of gas left.

Hachiman
09-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I don't really pay attention.

AkronSi
09-10-2003, 12:24 PM
I think that most new Honda's have issues with the gas gauge.

Both my girlfriend and I have the same problem where you'll be at a quarter tank and then be on E in like 5 miles and then a couple miles later be back to a quarter tank. pisses us off.

She's had her car in the shop for it twice, they even replaced something on it too.....but the problem is still there.

The maintenence manager even told us that his 2002 Accord does the same thing.

Wierd.

Spidey
09-10-2003, 01:32 PM
yeah the gauges are tricky. I've had the low fuel light go on and then after starting again it turned off. It seemed like I the needle was going up instead of down as I drove.
I thought it was kinda funny. :rolleyes:

shimmy_yaz
09-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah from 1/2 to E seems to go alot quicker than F to 1/2 for me it seems.

streaker666
09-10-2003, 02:44 PM
I just got a tank of gas today, filled it up with 91 octane...according to the gauge, there were 3 little increments left... Judged from past experience, I knew the low fuel light was about to come on...when I finished pumping, there were still a whopping 15 litres in the tank! I could have lasted a day or two more and wait for the gas prices to dip a little!

I think it's bad 'cuz sometimes it tricks me into thinking that a tank lasts not nearly long enough, while the fact is I can go another couple hundred kilometers...

ep88
09-10-2003, 06:15 PM
my gas gauge doesn't work :'(
it is stuck at F(ull) eventhough i've traveled 120 miles already...(maybe i have some sort of an unlimited 76 gas hahah) I'm taking it to the dealer tom, they said they already ordered the part that my car need.

vivid blue Si
09-10-2003, 07:12 PM
I have the exact problem as jsir exactly. i mentioned it to the service writer at the dealership he said it may be the cluster it
self. I will have it checked at my first oil change.

intelli
12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
I filled up Friday at a local gas station. The low fuel light was on. I put 14.2 gallons in the car. I got pissed off because I thought I was ripped off. How can you fit 14.2 gallons in a 13.2 gallon tank? I yelled at the attendant and called the state consumer protection department.

Today I look at the dash and see that my gas gauge is still full and I put 120 miles on the car. I'm like, WTF. Now my gauge is busted. Ats about 135 mile the gauge starts to drop. Now I've got 175 miles on this tank and the gauge reads 3/4 full.

Anyone have a clue as to WTF is happening?

vivid blue Si
12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Im thinking the guage cluster or the float in the tank may be stuck.
its under warranty let the dealership check it out

Vivid-Cruz
12-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
I think that most new Honda's have issues with the gas gauge.

Both my girlfriend and I have the same problem where you'll be at a quarter tank and then be on E in like 5 miles and then a couple miles later be back to a quarter tank. pisses us off.
Wierd.

I have exact same issue with my gas guage.. very frustrating sometimes.

BarracksSi
12-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by intelli
I filled up Friday at a local gas station. The low fuel light was on. I put 14.2 gallons in the car. I got pissed off because I thought I was ripped off. How can you fit 14.2 gallons in a 13.2 gallon tank? I yelled at the attendant and called the state consumer protection department.

Good -- get a hold of the Better Business Bureau also, and whoever else in government that might deal with stuff like this.

Years ago, my mom & I went to fill up our Plymouth Valiant, and the pump charged us for two gallons over what the tank could hold. She talked to the right offices, and the gas station was closed within a week or two.

If anyone EVER gets overcharged for gas, report it IMMEDIATELY. Shady gas stations bet on consumers who only fill partyway and would never notice that they're being ripped off. There's no telling how much extra cash that station's been swindling out of people, and the sooner they're stopped, the better.

Ripping off gas customers is no different from lying. Liars piss me off to no end.

Mugen Power
12-17-2003, 06:35 AM
I already brought the car in for the gas gauge not going up all the way and they said they had a document from Honda stating that that's how it is (i.e. design flaw, I guess). They said they'd show it to me but I forgot all about it because I was all caught up in trying to convince them that my transmission was crunchy. :(