PDA

View Full Version : back from dealer...same noise!!

kenis138
09-10-2003, 09:37 AM
hey all, my car had been making a funny little clunk on left turns over rough pavement. called dealer and they sed it was the struts. they replaced the front struts and the car is making the EXACT SAME NOISE. guess i hafta call dealer again, but WTF, do they actually test drive these things before and after to a)see what the problem is and b) to see if they fixed the problem it was brought in for?!

EP2002
09-10-2003, 09:43 AM
I hate going to the dealer. You just have to keep going until the problem gets taken care of. They just guess what the problem is, and if you don't come back, they assume it's fixed.

I've already gone twice to David McDavid Honda for my rattling driver-side door. And it still rattles on occation. Very annoying.

Good luck!

AkronSi
09-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Find out if they checked the wheel bearings or the CV joints. You never know, they could have over looked those areas (but, I don't know how they could).

PogoFX
09-10-2003, 01:49 PM
I have the same problem, except it is not just in turns. Kind of a clunk, clunk, clunk sound over rough pavement. Dealer replaced both of my front struts also, but it didn't help. They've looked at it several times but found nothing. They've retightened everything. I've beat all around my car with a rubber mallet trying to find something loose, but found nothing. I'm convinced its in the suspension somewhere. I'm getting new springs in the next couple of weeks and am hoping that I'll get lucky and the problem will disappear. I just don't have time to keep taking it to the dealer for them to troubleshoot right now. The car drives fine, but this is really irritating.
:(

IchBinEinSiR
09-10-2003, 05:29 PM
I completely agree... mine also makes that noise mostly while turning left, but at the right strut area. Tomorrow it goes in for both struts to be replaced, and I will find out if that fixes it. This will be the 4th time I have gone there, and it is like they are randomely choosing things to "fix". I see them going for a short test drive... but they don't seem to hear anything if you are not with them. I'm afraid I am going to flip out if it's not fixed after tomorrows "repair". I have owned 8 other cars with McPherson strut suspension in front and have NEVER had this sound eminating from the front end (regardless if that is the problem or not). It is EMBARRASSING to have my new car do this, makes me wish I had just kept buying used...:mad: :mad:

Now that its out of my system...:o

I do like the car, and that is almost the only trouble I have had to date (rattle in dash - fixed, crappy tires - will replace under warranty).

Heres hoping they do their job, and I can enjoy the car once again.:rolleyes:

civic hatch boi
09-10-2003, 05:42 PM
after i got my neuspeed springs installed, my car make clunks all over the place. esp over uneven grounds and such.. recently, after i installed my LOVELY rear sway bar, ALL NOISES are gone!!!!!!!!! best thing that could have happened ever.

IchBinEinSiR
09-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Perhaps you can explain to me how front end noises are fixed by replacing the rear stabalizer bar? From what I have seen when they took the strut out , the spring was winding up in the strut and releasing as the strut turned and moved up and down over bumps causing the seat of the spring to move back and forth (metal to metal contact), and making the noise.

I have to leave for my appointment with Honda...

sonic imperial
09-11-2003, 07:37 AM
I have stock suspension and tires and my car makes a ton of noise on uneven pavement, even just slight uneven pavement. In turns, the right front makes squalling sound too. I've never had it checked, I just figured it wouldn't hurt anything and would maybe go away with time. I'm at 21k miles and it's still the same as day 1.

pLopSI
09-11-2003, 08:21 AM
same thing happened to me in my 94 accord. The clunking was a result of me taking corners really fast all the time which led to me replacing my cv joints.

Spidey
09-11-2003, 12:32 PM
this is already a problem with several owners. Is it a clunking noise or does it sound like something is rubbing against each other?
I have talked this with bsdbytes and I believe that he already had the struts replaced and same noise. He managed to slightly fix it (i can't remember how) so it's not as loud. My car still drives that way, I'm wary of taking it into the dealer as they will likely waste my time dickering with it only to find nothing wrong with it. :(

Mugen Power
09-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Oooh, glad this thread came up when it did, I thought I was the only one with that noise. I just started noticing it a few weeks ago and mine seems to be coming from the right. It doesn't necessarily happen when I turn, just when the suspension is upset in anyway. I'm hoping to get it checked out soon.

IchBinEinSiR
09-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I had the car in for service today, and they changed their minds again, and instead of replacing the struts, they replaced the right front strut bushing that they played with earlier, and installed "spring warmers" (sort of like the ass wipe warmers at grandma's)... actually rubber sleaves like are on the top of the springs.

This has quieted the noise, muted it, but has not solved it. Along with the obvious movement of the spring on its lower perch (at a previous visit they removed the strut and took the spring off. The perch and the spring were down to metal on metal...

Replacing the whole strut assembly might not fix the problem. It may be a design flaw, but if so, why hasn't there been a deluge of complaints? I have heard that some people ignore it or believe it is regular suspension noise. But all my other vehicles never exhibited any of these traits in their McPherson assemblies.

For now I will have them do the alignment and let it go fo a few months as I can't keep taking the time to bring it in, and it hasn't affected the handling, so I guess I can just leave the radio on...

Oh, and the problem only started at around 10k kilometers.

IchBinEinSiR
09-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Wow... the alignment they did fixed the pulling to the left but know it pulls to the right, and the noise as bad as ever or worse.

Perhaps it is the axle or wheel bearing? Honda is waiting for the Honda Canada Service Representative to come to town and take a look.

I am so sick and tired of this noise/problem that I wish they would just take it back and give me a new one...:(

2k2ep
09-13-2003, 03:30 PM
I bet I know what it is the same thing happend to alot of 7th gener's when I had mine. A bushing at the top of the spring moves and (klunk) every time you turn. Most had problems after lowering and the spring was not aligned right.