PDA

View Full Version : few Q's about tein s tech

staticflo
09-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Ok I just had my springs installed today, I watched the mechanic do the whole job, he was recommmended by a friend.
My questions are

1. no bumb stop was removed, should there have been?
2. im trying to figure out how much of a drop it gave me. The logical way, im thinking, would have been to measure the height between the tire and wheel well before and after, yet i did not measure before. So if someone knows what the height is stock that would help.

I must say the ride is a little more harsh then I expected but its a looks great and handles even better. I would def. recommend these springs

thanks!
Mike

02TafWhtSi
09-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by staticflo

1. no bumb steer was removed, should there have been?

I think you mean the "bump stop". The stock ones need to be trimmed or replaced with shorter ones. My Eibach prokits came with a replacement set that was shorter than OEM. So he should ahve either trimmed your OEM set or replaced them.

staticflo
09-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Like I said no bump stop was removed or altered at all. Are there going to be any negative effects due to this? Damn, I knew I should have said something at the time, but didn't looks like I may be taking it back.

Tenacious G
09-10-2003, 09:01 PM
the stock bump stop needed to be trimmed to prevent your struts from bottoming out too easily. since you're lowered and the S Techs are relatively soft, the struts will run out of travel quicker.

staticflo
09-11-2003, 05:20 AM
ok, thanks for the help so im guessing my best move would be to take it back to the guy who did it and have him trim some.

Civicvtec1ps
09-11-2003, 09:58 AM
how much do you have to cut bumpstops? around 1 inch?
just want to make sure before i install them in next week

Tenacious G
09-11-2003, 12:32 PM
according to the sheet that comes w/ the springs, it says to leave the front bump stops as is and cut 0.6 inches off the rear.

i'd recommend doing a search and see what others have done.

EDIT: keep in mind that these springs were designed for the EM2s (01-current civic sedans/coupes), so that's the car the directions are covering. so cutting the front bump stops on the EP3 might not be out of the question. I'd call or e-mail Tein to get an official word.

staticflo
09-12-2003, 08:48 PM
I e-mailed tein and asked them if they know how much bump stop should be remved ill post again when they answer so everyone will know for future reference.

Jpax
09-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Weird last time i check My tein S tech s didnt need the bump stops cut. oh well i guess i ll bottom out quicker.

staticflo
09-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
Weird last time i check My tein S tech s didnt need the bump stops cut. oh well i guess i ll bottom out quicker.

the guy that installed mine also said I didnt need to remove any bump stop but I just wanted to be sure. The ride seems so harsh, especially when I hit a bump. I didnt know if that was because the bump stops were still in or if that just comes along with having lowering springs.

Kwazie
09-13-2003, 09:59 AM
when i didnt have the s tech on my car i had 4 - 5 fingers (i got small fingers :p ) but after the drop i got 2 fingers i got pictures if you like... and my bump stops i cut the front ones in half and in the back it has 2 lil oval shape things i cut one of them off and ride is very good to me not harsh at all.......

www.aiyahz.com/davidtong409/car

Civicvtec1ps
09-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Kwazie
when i didnt have the s tech on my car i had 4 - 5 fingers (i got small fingers :p ) but after the drop i got 2 fingers i got pictures if you like... and my bump stops i cut the front ones in half and in the back it has 2 lil oval shape things i cut one of them off and ride is very good to me not harsh at all.......

www.aiyahz.com/davidtong409/car
excellent pics. i cant wait to lower my car:D

oldschoolimport
09-14-2003, 03:04 AM
if you dont cut the bump stops, when cornering and you bottom on the stop, that is the same as the spring rate going up astronomically. cornering loads on the outside tires will be too much. that is actually very dangerous. I would definitely find out teins specs for the ep3 before doing any major curves. just erring on the side of caution.

abstrack
09-16-2003, 08:46 PM
wow i never knew this stuff.. ive had my springs for about 3 weeks now. post wat tein has to say when u get the message... cuz i dont think they even touched my bump stops. oh and wat does it mean to bottom out?

oldschoolimport
09-16-2003, 11:06 PM
when you bottom the shock/strut is when the shock body that has the bump stop on it and the shock mount that bolts to the strut tower all touch and the car is no longer riding on the spring. at this instance the spring might as well be non-existant because the mount/bump stop/shock body are all touching. at this point the "spring rate" for use of a better term, would be the breaking point of the weakest component. you are basicly riding a gocart with solid suspension and the tendency is for whatever corner is bottomed, or loaded, to break loose and slide. the unpredictable nature of this is what makes it so danderous. it is also called "snap oversteer' because that is how quick it can happen.

RockEP_SS**
09-17-2003, 01:40 PM
I didn't cut mines at all, and everything's fine over here!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

staticflo
09-17-2003, 02:19 PM
I still haven't received an e-mail back from tein. I don't know what to do some people cut there bumpstops and others don't. The ride does feel pretty harsh and I was thinking it was because I didn't cut the bump stops but I dunno...

SiR_d1
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
I didn't cut mines at all, and everything's fine over here!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

Same!

And I'm going on 4 months now w/ teins

dannysi
09-18-2003, 04:43 PM
I did not cut the front bump stop on my car. The rear I cut the .6 recommended by Tein for the coupe's. At first the ride was harsh and was questioning on whether I needed to cut more, But eventually the ride got smoother. Now I have a near stock feel with a lower stance. Maybe after you've driven the car around for awhile the ride will settle in and start smoothing out.

rs_1101
09-18-2003, 07:11 PM
its when u hit a bump and ur shocks run out of travel.. and they in essence "bottom out"

Tenacious G
09-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
its when u hit a bump and ur shocks run out of travel.. and they in essence "bottom out"

OOOOOOOOOk, this post is about 20 posts too late.

j/p

:D

potator
09-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Bumb Steer. :D

Civicvtec1ps
09-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Still no updates yet?

LedFoot
09-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1

Same!

And I'm going on 4 months now w/ teins

No cuttin here either. Had the Tein springs on stock struts for 1 1/2 months now and it's all good.:cool:

staticflo
09-22-2003, 07:06 PM
I e-mailed tein and asked them if they know how much bump stop should be remved ill post again when they answer so everyone will know for future reference.

heres my answer from them,

Mike,

Sorry for the late response. We do not have that information as the kit was not designed for the Si. The rates and length are not optimal for that vehicle, so TEIN is in development for a Si specific spring set. But again we have no information as to how much of the bump stop you should trim as those springs were not developed for that car.

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com

Civicvtec1ps
09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
blah im not cutting anything

eurosteez
09-23-2003, 07:07 PM
So the bumpstop modification is only to help minimize bump steer.
Does trimming it lower the stress on the suspension or just give it some room for flex?

MoodySi
09-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by eurosteez
So the bumpstop modification is only to help minimize bump steer.
Does trimming it lower the stress on the suspension or just give it some room for flex?

Cutting the bump stops allows the suspension to travel more. I cut the rears as the directions indicated. I've had my Tein springs for 6 months now with no issues at all. I think the stock suspension was little stiffer though.

Tenacious G
09-24-2003, 03:59 PM

heres my answer from them,

Mike,

Sorry for the late response. We do not have that information as the kit was not designed for the Si. The rates and length are not optimal for that vehicle, so TEIN is in development for a Si specific spring set. But again we have no information as to how much of the bump stop you should trim as those springs were not developed for that car.

Staff @ TEIN USA INC.
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA 90241
Phone: (562)861-9161
Fax: (562)861-9171
www.tein.com

oh, NOW they are in development for an EP-specific spring now that I already purchased the EM2 springs. great

:rolleyes:

rs_1101
09-24-2003, 04:35 PM
uhhhhhhhh..... does this mean i should not buy s-techs yet? wtf..

Tenacious G
09-24-2003, 08:47 PM
the S Tech springs Tein currently offers were made for the EM2 Civics (the 01-up coupe/sedans), but they do fit and work OK with the EP3. that's why their spring rates are a bit softer than stock and a lot softer than other lowering springs

personally, i think i'm going to sell mine and see if the new springs offer anything different.

rs_1101
09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
i just dont want to deal with a lowering spring thats softer than the stock springs. if i just wanted my car to be lower, id cut the springs. but i would really rather have a tighter ride, and thats y im curious

LedFoot
09-25-2003, 07:26 PM
I didn't notice much difference than stock when I put the Tein S springs on my car. But having the car lower to the ground felt atleast a bit better on turns. that's just my opinion though. But when I got my rims- better handling than stock.

No $ for coilovers right now. :'(

staticflo
09-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Damn I wish I would have researched this more before I jumped on buying these springs. I already paid to have them installed and im not gonna pay to have someone take them off or id sell them and get EP specific springs...

Civicvtec1ps
09-25-2003, 10:12 PM
insatlling tein s tech springs tommrrow. i will post pics and reviews. and im not cutting bump stops at all.