PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Suspension Installed, before and after pics. (56K)

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:07 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pf16906f0014d734e03cc3c69dacdad67/fb1fe9b1.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pa9cae3008bf1cea8a3dbe39423b8c7b7/fb1fe9af.jpg.thumb.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:13 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pa9cae3008bf1cea8a3dbe39423b8c7b7/fb1fe9af.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:15 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pda46581c387e86d4af61fb855ee3e889/fb1fe9ab.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:16 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p8fbbb24dcb4e379ecbc5ccf74800b75a/fb1fe9a7.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:17 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pcb88ac373826cca8ad4caaa907c70d20/fb1fe9a3.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:18 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p2530dbab82f496f37425980e5fb17714/fb1fe9a2.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:19 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p8b9238ec36c38cd952144c42b37f4cd5/fb1fe9a0.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p97ae6a0afe3781de55e4861ad6a5f133/fb1fe99e.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:22 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p782203d5280d0ebf4f28cfea18945c66/fb1fe99d.jpg

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:22 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pa2157a5db7ed9397ee805714a6f3c4fc/fb1fe99b.jpg

Hatch, Si Hatch
09-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Nice, I like that drop, not too low. So how are you liking it so far? I'm still undecided between mugen and tein basic.

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:28 PM
here are my thoughts so far:
install was very easy, it took 4 hours and everything went perfectly fine. I was afraid before the test drive but no suspension noise or steering problems. car goes straigt, steering wheel is straight and no pulling or whatsoever. my tires are 215/45/17 toyo proxes fz4 and my wheels have 40 mm offset. the car is stiffer and stronger but at the same time it is a little less comfortable when compared to the oem shocks. enjoy the pictures and let me know what you think, any more pic requests are welcome.

ALCT
09-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Hatch, Si Hatch
Nice, I like that drop, not too low. So how are you liking it so far? I'm still undecided between mugen and tein basic.

I don't know how tein feels but so far I am really happy with my choice. if you decide to have non adjustables like me I say go with Mugen

raiyo
09-10-2003, 07:41 PM
nice.........drop, sweet.

i'd have to agree, go with mugen if you dont need adjust height. If you go with tein, then u gotta measure here and there to get all sides right.

bobdobbs
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
If you go with tein, then u gotta measure here and there to get all sides right.

Aw, come on. You make it sound like a chore. It's easy. How else would you adjust your ride height exactly the way you want it? The freedom to do that is worth the extra 15 minutes it takes to measure and adjust your spring seats.

raiyo
09-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs

Aw, come on. You make it sound like a chore. It's easy. How else would you adjust your ride height exactly the way you want it? The freedom to do that is worth the extra 15 minutes it takes to measure and adjust your spring seats.

yes, it's not hard to do, but whatever u do, it's hard to make each side perfect.

trabadoo22
09-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Very nice drop. Each time I see a post on these makes me that much more wanting to buy them. Hopefully I'll have them on my car by next summer. I live in NY though so I just hope they can withstand the weather.

IceD out N CALI
09-10-2003, 09:06 PM
looks good, nice pics

bobdobbs
09-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
yes, it's not hard to do, but whatever u do, it's hard to make each side perfect.

What do you mean "perfect"? It doesn't have to be perfect. You just measure how much thread is showing on the left front strut and make it the same on the right front. Then you do the same for the rears. The fronts do not have to match the rears and you don't even need to remove the wheels to do it. If it takes you more than 15 minutes total, you're making too big a deal of it.

raiyo
09-10-2003, 10:49 PM

What do you mean "perfect"? It doesn't have to be perfect. You just measure how much thread is showing on the left front strut and make it the same on the right front. Then you do the same for the rears. The fronts do not have to match the rears and you don't even need to remove the wheels to do it. If it takes you more than 15 minutes total, you're making too big a deal of it.

hehe, maybe I am, or just lazy :D

AkronSi
09-11-2003, 05:56 AM
Nice pics. I'm still undecided on the Mugen's or the KW's. I keep going back and forth.

Regardless....I like your use of the tic-tac box to show the change. Very nice. :D It really shows the change.

digitldlnkwnt
12-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by AkronSi
Nice pics. I'm still undecided on the Mugen's or the KW's. I keep going back and forth.

Regardless....I like your use of the tic-tac box to show the change. Very nice. :D It really shows the change.

i heard that...im so torn :confused:
i think the kw's might have me cuz they are also lighter than the mugens and god knows this civic has a wieght problem (cough cough FAT ASS cough cough).
Ive already owned 5way tokicos and i loved being able to adjust them just the way i wanted to.

LordKoo
12-20-2003, 12:09 AM
ALCT,
How do you feel the car at highway speed and corner now with mugen?
How much did you pay for it? Where did you get the mugen from?
Part numbers?

Thanks!

trk
12-20-2003, 10:15 AM

Come on now Bob...

15 minutes my ass... out here in snow country, my friends coilovers always get fucked by the salt/snow and it takes us HOURS to do it after the seasons over.

But 15 minutes... maybe in perfect weather when they are brand new.

:*

ALCT
12-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LordKoo
ALCT,
How do you feel the car at highway speed and corner now with mugen?
How much did you pay for it? Where did you get the mugen from?
Part numbers?

Thanks!
it rides stiffer,less comfortable but handles/corners much better. my gf has a 03 stock si so everytime I install something new I have the chance to compare my si with her stock si. Mine is definitely way more fun to drive with this setup.

$1038.00 shipped from kingmotorsports.com
patr# 50000-XK2-K0S0

ANDYWlovesHONDA
12-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Nice drop bro. Exactly what i like. Not to much. Good job:tongue:

bobdobbs
12-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by trk
Come on now Bob...

15 minutes my ass... out here in snow country, my friends coilovers always get fucked by the salt/snow and it takes us HOURS to do it after the seasons over.

But 15 minutes... maybe in perfect weather when they are brand new.

:*
Hours? To do what? Seriously. What exactly are they doing that takes hours?

This is what I do: Push jack under front support, jack up car. Turn wheels, measure spring seats, turn seats as necessary, set lock rings, lower jack. Repeat for rear.

I'd like to spend hours screwing around with that, but I don't see how that would be possible, even with crud on them.

trk
12-20-2003, 10:57 PM

This is what I do: Push jack under front support, jack up car. Turn wheels, measure spring seats, turn seats as necessary, set lock rings, lower jack. Repeat for rear.

I'd like to spend hours screwing around with that, but I don't see how that would be possible, even with crud on them.

Basically they rust shut ... ground controls 97 coupe... always happens... every damn year.

bobdobbs
12-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by trk
Basically they rust shut ... ground controls 97 coupe... always happens... every damn year.
Teins are aluminum seats on chromed threads; neither of those materials is prone to rust. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I'd bet they're a little more corrosion-resistent than GCs.

scwafish
12-21-2003, 10:45 AM
If it happens every year why not put on a little anti-seize before winter so you don't have to be "surprised" by the predictable.

trk
12-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by scwafish
If it happens every year why not put on a little anti-seize before winter so you don't have to be "surprised" by the predictable.

I think you guys really have to "see" them to believe it. They are thrashed, Everything out here gets thrashed from the road salts/chemicals/rocks/etc. Its beyond some spray fixing it... he needs to cough up some money and get some new shit.

scwafish
12-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Antiseize isn't a spray, you brush it on. I use it on all of my boats at work to avoid the kind of corrosion giving you hell. Your roads might be salty, but their not worse than the ocean. If it use it in a corrosive environment from the beginning, your shit will last a LOT longer, and bolts will come apart without using the gas axe.

SiR_d1
12-21-2003, 02:44 PM
thats a nice subtle drop you have there, almost looks like my tein techs

william
12-22-2003, 06:50 PM
any creaking from your front struts yet?

trk
12-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by william

Occasionally ... BUT very subtle and quietly ... especially compared to before.

Si Death
12-22-2003, 07:33 PM
do mugen suspension "settle" over time??? will the drop be a tiny bit lower after a while of driving on them?

trk
12-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Si Death
do mugen suspension "settle" over time??? will the drop be a tiny bit lower after a while of driving on them?

mine appeared to settle.

HondaMan
12-23-2003, 08:42 AM

I'm glad I saw this...I haven't sat down long enough to figure out a faster way to adjust my Tein's. Now that I got a floor jack (Santa got here early) I can do it like this and much faster.

I will try this out next year when AutoX starts up again...I plan on trying a lower ride height and probably do one of those Evoluation schools to figure out corner weight and adjust my Tein's accordingly...this is a big plus for the Tein's over the Mugen's in my book.

http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html

Gasp23
12-23-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm saving my pennies for the Mugen setup. I love the way it looks.

HondaMan
12-23-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Gasp23
I'm saving my pennies for the Mugen setup. I love the way it looks.

Interesting, since you can't see the suspension unless you get down on the ground a look through the wheels, but whatever floats your boat. :rolleyes:

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan
I'm glad I saw this...I haven't sat down long enough to figure out a faster way to adjust my Tein's. Now that I got a floor jack (Santa got here early) I can do it like this and much faster.
Yeah, with a floor jack, you don't even need to remove the wheels to adjust the coilovers. For the fronts, turn the wheels outward so you can reach the spring seats. The rear seats are harder to reach than the fronts, but you can do it. You sorta have to reach around the rear sway end links and the exhaust (on the right side).

klik
12-23-2003, 11:56 AM
TEIN BASIC ALL THE WAY

ALCT
12-23-2003, 12:22 PM

I have them since July, no creaking sounds at all.

I remember asking the same question to kingmotorsports salesmen and he said mugen won't settle. I didn't notice a difference myself.

2003EPHatch
12-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Looks very nice.

Gasp23
12-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Interesting, since you can't see the suspension unless you get down on the ground a look through the wheels, but whatever floats your boat. :rolleyes:

LOL, I meant the way it makes the car look. To me it's the perfect drop.

HondaMan
12-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Gasp23
LOL, I meant the way it makes the car look. To me it's the perfect drop.

LOL! :o

Az02Si
12-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Let me get this straight...Not being an ass or rude...But those are 1K and NOT ride heighth adjustable?????? If so im glad I bought Basics instead....

william
12-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Az02Si
Let me get this straight...Not being an ass or rude...But those are 1K and NOT ride heighth adjustable?????? If so im glad I bought Basics instead....

there is allot of voodoo involved in dampners, so to find a set that is a great comprimise between ride comfort and handling is a great find. And the mugens are just that, A great set of dampners perfectly matched with firm springs that give a ride height that is completely livable all year round. Sure you wont get to absolutely SLAM your ride to the pavement, but to be honest , that set up is only good for temporary stuff, like car shows and such. I'm a beleiver in the mugen suspension, and once you've driven a car with them you'll see that they're a great value.

HondaMan
12-30-2003, 03:11 PM
there is allot of voodoo involved in dampners, so to find a set that is a great comprimise between ride comfort and handling is a great find. And the mugens are just that, A great set of dampners perfectly matched with firm springs that give a ride height that is completely livable all year round. Sure you wont get to absolutely SLAM your ride to the pavement, but to be honest , that set up is only good for temporary stuff, like car shows and such. I'm a beleiver in the mugen suspension, and once you've driven a car with them you'll see that they're a great value.

The ability to "slam" your ride with the Tein suspension is not why I bought them and I'm sure most people that bought them feel the same way. The height adjustment gives you the ability to fine tune your suspension for Autocross events < http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html > and other forms of spirited driving. It's all about the GO not SHOW in my book.

Plus, the ride with them is great (far better than my Progress springs & stock shocks setup) and I dare say they are as good if not better than the Mugen setup...not to mention they are a better value than the Mugen's (Tein Basic's are $100-200 cheaper & made in Japan like the Showa/Mugen setup).

Az02Si
12-30-2003, 04:53 PM
a lot of voodoo...rofl,been reading the tech articles in SCC much? ;) I bought the Basics so i could have an adjustable setup that would be comfortable on the streets,and be halfway decent on the track.I could care less about "slamming" the car,i just want to be able to adjust it for different conditions,and taylor it to MY taste at any given time.And the Mugens DO NOT allow me to do so.Sure,maybe they ride great,but so do the Basics.And the Basics have more features(height adjustability) and cost LESS!!!!! And like i said in another thread,ive never had any of the bumpsteer issues with the Teins either.Tein makes some of the highest quality suspension components you can buy,bar none.To MEEEEEEE,1300 for a non adjustable coilover is assinine.Are a lot of people buying them because of the name?Thats a serious question too.......

william
12-30-2003, 05:13 PM
just a news flash, have you read the topic of this thread? There is a mugen vs tein thread pretty close by, go post there.

HondaMan
12-30-2003, 05:19 PM
just a news flash, have you read the topic of this thread? There is a mugen vs tein thread pretty close by, go post there.

The same could be said to you...you did fuel the Tein vs. Mugen fire here. :rolleyes:

william
12-30-2003, 05:46 PM
The same could be said to you...you did fuel the Tein vs. Mugen fire here. :rolleyes:

read my post, not once do I use the word "tein" in my post. So how exactly did I fuel this argument? I simply explaind that the suspension has more subtle attributes that make it a good value.

HondaMan
12-30-2003, 06:42 PM
read my post, not once do I use the word "tein" in my post. So how exactly did I fuel this argument? I simply explaind that the suspension has more subtle attributes that make it a good value.

You quoted his post about the Tein's being better. Any ways, let's just move along or I can lock the thread (if needed).

Si Death
12-30-2003, 09:56 PM
nub question, how long will the mugen suspension last?? say like decades????:rolleyes:

Jontis
12-31-2003, 08:02 AM
I whant the Mugen suspension.
I'm no technician and i trust them in knowing
what's good for my car.

potator
03-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Some good shit. I'm definitely going to go with the Mugens for my next mod.