PDA

View Full Version : Options For Shocks Besides Koni?

NamingException
09-10-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm currently on Pro-Kits with my stock shocks. I really want a less pliant damper. I want to know what my options for aftermarket shocks are. The only option I know of is Koni Yellows, and they're not even application specific to our vehicle. I'm pretty sure I could do the modifications necessary to make them fit myself, but for the money and hassle I'd rather just invest in a set of KW V2s or V3s, which is probably what I will end up doing. Basically I'm disappointed in my lack of options.

Am I missing something here? Is there a set of Tokicos that will fit our car that I just don't know about? Why are there not more shock options?

andy
09-10-2003, 08:47 PM
AFAIK, there aren't any other options. I "believe" some are
coming out soon, but I don't know when. I would also think that
you could get some aftermarket RSX shocks and maybe modify
them a la the Konis, but you'd probably be the first to do it.

bobdobbs
09-10-2003, 09:50 PM
If you're budget-conscious, consider the Tein Basics. The damper isn't adjustable, but it's at a comfortable yet sporty setting. And you can adjust the height.

The Tein SS work really well and are a couple hundred cheaper than the KW V2 and you could probably resell them easier if you had to, just because of the Tein name. I'm very happy with mine. Then again, if you get more winters like the last one, the stainless steel might be worth the extra cost.

02SilverSiHB
09-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
I'm currently on Pro-Kits with my stock shocks. I really want a less pliant damper. I want to know what my options for aftermarket shocks are. The only option I know of is Koni Yellows, and they're not even application specific to our vehicle. I'm pretty sure I could do the modifications necessary to make them fit myself, but for the money and hassle I'd rather just invest in a set of KW V2s or V3s, which is probably what I will end up doing. Basically I'm disappointed in my lack of options.

Am I missing something here? Is there a set of Tokicos that will fit our car that I just don't know about? Why are there not more shock options?
nothing but koni for us when it comes to just the shock replacement. I have them. The install is actually easy. Click on my link that says click here, you'll be glad you did. Once your at the site, click on the technical and there is a how to on installing the koni's. Very easy

glw
09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
spoon makes some non-adjustable dampers that use stock springs...

try http://www.spoon-sports.com/ep3-suspension.html

http://www.spoon-sports.com/Brochure/suspension/Fixed-Damper-Kit-DC5.jpg

don't know where to buy them though (no prices at aj's) ... anyone?

NamingException
09-11-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm not super buget-conscious, but it takes a certain leap of judgement that I'm not willing to take to pay the ultra-premium price that Spoon components command. Thanks for the heads up on those though, I forgot about them already.

As far as the Teins go, the basic are too basic for me. I want to be able to adjust the damper. I do like the stainless steel of the KWs, which is why I will probably end up with them. Tein Flex are teflon coated, I think, but they're too expensive to justify.

I'm just frustrated there's not a good option for just replacement shock absorbers in the $500-700 range beside Koni.

02SilverSiHB
09-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by NamingException
I'm not super buget-conscious, but it takes a certain leap of judgement that I'm not willing to take to pay the ultra-premium price that Spoon components command. Thanks for the heads up on those though, I forgot about them already.

As far as the Teins go, the basic are too basic for me. I want to be able to adjust the damper. I do like the stainless steel of the KWs, which is why I will probably end up with them. Tein Flex are teflon coated, I think, but they're too expensive to justify.

I'm just frustrated there's not a good option for just replacement shock absorbers in the $500-700 range beside Koni.
get the koni's their easy :D

bobdobbs
09-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by glw
spoon makes some non-adjustable dampers that use stock springs...

Those look a lot like the Mugens, minus the springs and painted a different color. Could they be the same manufacture?

Driftin SI
09-11-2003, 11:30 AM
The Mugen shocks are made by Showa, not sure about the Spoon stuff

2k3vbpEP
09-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Also spoon is not releasing the struts after all. I e-mailed AJ Racing and they said that due to the low value of the Yen right now a lot of the Japanese companies aren't releasing products and that Spoon scrapped the struts for our car.

klik
09-16-2003, 11:48 PM
get a Tein basic dampers u can get them for 700

NamingException
09-17-2003, 06:01 AM
I don't want Tein Basics. What I was hoping for when creating this thread was more shock-only options. Besides being full coil-overs, Tein Basics don't allow you to adjust damping, and KW's marketing campaign against corrosive metals has stuck in my brain since the roads up here have a constant layer of slush and salt on them during the winter. So it's Tein Flex (teflon coating) or no Tein at all, and considering the approaching-two-grand price tag, it's no Tein at all by default.

FailureToStop
09-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by klik
get a Tein basic dampers u can get them for 700

Where?

Tenacious G
09-17-2003, 11:04 AM
KYB and Tokico both said they had dampers that will be released "late summer/early fall," but we all know good companies are about release products when they say they will.

NamingException
09-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Excellent! That's what I wanted to hear.

NamingException
09-17-2003, 01:08 PM
I emailed KYB and got this response:

"These should be out in 2004, had a tooling issue which delayed production."

Tenacious G
09-17-2003, 02:53 PM
another delay in the release of an EP product, what a shock!

:D

sorry NamingException, maybe Tokico will release something sooner.

SiR_d1
09-17-2003, 03:34 PM
sorry but I have just a quick question.. exactly how much do the koni yellows even go for??

02SilverSiHB
09-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
sorry but I have just a quick question.. exactly how much do the koni yellows even go for??
about 500 shipped. Best price I've seen is at www.importhorizon.com

IceD out N CALI
09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

about 500 shipped. Best price I've seen is at www.importhorizon.com

how is the ride? any problems with the konis? thanks:)

nozomi
09-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Eibach has the Pro-Sreet coil-over kit for EP3 now

02SilverSiHB
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

how is the ride? any problems with the konis? thanks:)
the ride is great, no problems. I can adjust them easily for whatever driving mood I may be in. But since I'm the type to adjust the ride heighth a lot, I'll be getting some real coilovers one day.