PDA

View Full Version : EP - Put to the test. My first break in (LONG)

Kirei
09-11-2003, 02:01 AM
I've had the car for a month and I only have 380 miles on it. Havent driven it much considering I have a beater I drive most of the time. My friend called me up to go up on a mountain run so im like "fuck it, lets go". Its been a crazy shitty month and I was hoping that a good run in the mountains will help clear my head. There was a total of 6 of us. EP (me), s2000, dodge srt, 2 RSX-S, and a WRX. We all met up at my buddies house and took off from there. We went to the mountains in glendora where its got some of the sharpest turns i've seen so far up at mt baldi. The RSX-S led the way in the beginning. I followed closely behind with the s2000 right behind me, the other rsx right behind him, wrx and the srt. We gunned it and I mean we gunned it all over the mountains going at an average of around 55. My car so far is stock. I've got tein springs and some wheels with falken tires on em ready to go but i havent put them on just yet and wanted to test this baby stock. Hung with the RSX-S pretty well on the turns but the s2000 was getting ready to blow pass me any minute and I expected nothing less of it. As I was watching the rsx that was right in front of me, I can tell her car was handling the turns much much better than mine. Then again, my car was the only one in the group that was on stock suspension. About 10 minutes later, the s2000 was in the lead. A different RSX-S was right behind it, I was right behind her, the other rsx was nowhere in sight with the other 2 cars behind it. My car handled great up to this point. There were a couple turns where I almost lost it. I felt the back of my EP losing control with the rear wheels swinging back n forth after the turns. The front held up fine but the rear tires were screeching as it slid from side to side on certain turns. By now, the s2000 was a good 8 car lengths ahead. The last 3 cars (rsx-s, wrx, srt) were atleast a good 30 seconds behind and I was right up on the RSXs ass looking for a good chance to pass it. The whole time I was jumping to each side of the road hugging the edges to help ease my turns. I eventually came upon a nasty "S" shaped turn and I hugged the tip of the road a little too close, the edge of my front passenger tire hit a sand spot as I was in the sharpest curl of the "S" shaped turn and I lost control and my EP spun helplessly in circles doing a complete 1,080 (360+360+360) and some more. After the first 180 spin I countersteered but the car kept spinning. I had to think fast because any second now I'll be flying over the edge of the cliff. I immediately pulled the e-brake, the car did another 360 then skidded sideways for about 7 feet. Luckily there were a small space for people to park and rest right at the edge of that corner and thats where I ended up. I immediately tried to get back on the road and as I try to make a u-turn I heard the sound "glug glug glug glug" and I thought to myself "awwwww fuck". I get out to look at what was wrong with my front passenger wheel and boy was it ugly. When my car skidded sideways, I felt all the pressure pressed upon my front passenger wheel and it ripped the tire half way off the wheel. Just my luck, I removed my spare tire a couple nights before. So I was stranded with a fucked up wheel, a $8 grand payable deal that was waiting for me to close at work which I was going to go right after the moutain run, absolutely no reception since i was in the mountains, and fucked up all my friends fun because i drove 30mph down the mountain which took over an hr. The EP did great for a stock car. I had trouble hanging with them on any given straight away roads but it handled quite well on the turns. We popped the tire back on the wheel and regulated the tire pressure but now the car rides funny. Seems like the alignment is okay but I feel as though the front wheels have absolutely no traction. I already have the dealer looking at it and they will hold the car till friday. Hopefully it will be okay. I have some pictures of all the cars before we raced. I'll post them up as soon as I finish the roll, develop the film and scan them in my scanner.

sonic imperial
09-11-2003, 07:33 AM
wow, what a story. i enjoyed reading that but the main thing is you got lucky and didn't wreck and kill yourself.

Jpax
09-11-2003, 08:36 AM
:eek:

Did you get that deal at work?

JapanExpress
09-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Glad you're okay, but go to the track next time. You shouldn't have pushed the car that far, and you should work on your driving skills in a controlled environment. No sense in putting you, your friends,and other drivers at risk.

K20A3Si
09-11-2003, 09:12 AM
glad everyone is ok...be careful though...the stock SI has the worst stock tires in th eworld....get new rubber before you mess around like that

Kirei
09-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your concerns everyone.

Originally posted by PaXiE
:eek:

Did you get that deal at work?

Yeah but I got some heat for it. I didnt make it to work but my sister was working at that time and she was nice enough to close it for me. Nothing like working with your sister!

Originally posted by K20A3Si
glad everyone is ok...be careful though...the stock SI has the worst stock tires in th eworld....get new rubber before you mess around like that

yeah I didnt realize how bad they were until I took it up there. The dealership says I have to pay $130 for it. Yeah right.

They say the rim is under warranty so they will replace my busted rim but would not replace the tire since that has to do with michellin and not honda. Grinded them for a good 20 minutes and now they're all covered. Hopefully the car will drive normal once I get it replaced. If not I hope I didnt damage the axle.

Kirei
09-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by JapanExpress
Glad you're okay, but go to the track next time. You shouldn't have pushed the car that far, and you should work on your driving skills in a controlled environment. No sense in putting you, your friends,and other drivers at risk.

Yeah I shouldnt have punched it that hard. As I was bringing it to the dealer, I turned off my radio and I noticed the car made a small noise on second gear which I have never noticed before. Maybe its just me. But yeah that was a close call. On a few runs ago, the same WRX that was with us lost control and smashed into the side of the mountain. It was on a sharp left turn and his car skidded straight into the mountain and *WHAM* the car hits it head on. It hit the mountain so hard the back of the car jumped in the air to a point where I could see the piping underneath his car as I was behind him and landed straight back down. It was pretty nasty. Yeah, we get pretty crazy up there.