PDA

View Full Version : Do you think mid to high 14's will be possilbe for our cars...naturally aspirated?

02SilverSiHB
09-03-2002, 09:03 PM
I was wondering if a daily driver (not stripped or drag tires) for our cars can get mid to high 14's. I know that i/h/e isn't going to do it. But at the same time I don't want to be loud. I'm thinking of getting a hp header, mid pipe, and injen intake later on. I'm not going to boost. I was thinking today about how much freakin money I wasted on my last car for boosting it. I'm not doing that again. Plus I don't want to have the maintenance that comes along with boost. Even jrsc need maintenance....damn pulleys, and belts!
Any way, I'm thinking along with I/H/E, I'm going to need a raised limiter (rev), internals to compensate, cams (sprocket and shaft), and a chipped ecu?
So any thoughts?

miamijdm
09-04-2002, 12:20 AM
buddy anything is possible.... but you got to give it time. It's not going to be easy to dip into the 14's on motor but it definately is possible.. I think were going to have to swap some parts with the rsx and crv in order to get those times... peace out

civic hatch boi
09-04-2002, 12:45 AM
miami, u got 157whp with just i/h/e.. u mean that won't put u into the 14's??? i thought it would easily

02SilverSiHB
09-04-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
miami, u got 157whp with just i/h/e.. u mean that won't put u into the 14's??? i thought it would easily
he got a 15.8 with the injen intake. so the extra 15 (I think) hp he gained won't take away that .8 seconds left over. Now if he had slicks and stripped some crap out, maybe it could happen, but .8 seconds is hard to take away with just simple bolt ons

ssvr6
09-04-2002, 04:17 AM
With 157whp you should be running low 15's...theorhetically. The VW GTi VR6 has a 172 "rated" hp (MK3 Platform 96-99). I ran a 15.1 best with that in "stock" trim. (chip, intake, engine mount, and removed resonator.) While I never dyno'd my car, similar VR6's dyno'd anywhere from 155 to 168 with similar mods and their times varied from 15.3 to 14.8 (not respectively).

So, I think with I/H/E, cams, pulleys, (basic bolt ons) 14's are DEFINITELY possible. But like Miami said, we're going to have to wait. I'm not buying RSX-S cams or similar RSX parts. I'm waiting for performance cams to be made, cams that have dyno's and tesitmonies.

I/H/E is easy and I'll do that with no hesitation.

As for "stripping" out the car. I don't do that. I make sure I don't have loads of extra crap in it, but I don't strip it. I hope to have an extra pair of wheels with some drag radials or possibly slicks installed so I can get better launches at the track, but that's about it.

Steve

02SilverSiHB
09-04-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
With 157whp you should be running low 15's...theorhetically. The VW GTi VR6 has a 172 "rated" hp (MK3 Platform 96-99). I ran a 15.1 best with that in "stock" trim. (chip, intake, engine mount, and removed resonator.) While I never dyno'd my car, similar VR6's dyno'd anywhere from 155 to 168 with similar mods and their times varied from 15.3 to 14.8 (not respectively).

So, I think with I/H/E, cams, pulleys, (basic bolt ons) 14's are DEFINITELY possible. But like Miami said, we're going to have to wait. I'm not buying RSX-S cams or similar RSX parts. I'm waiting for performance cams to be made, cams that have dyno's and tesitmonies.

I/H/E is easy and I'll do that with no hesitation.

As for "stripping" out the car. I don't do that. I make sure I don't have loads of extra crap in it, but I don't strip it. I hope to have an extra pair of wheels with some drag radials or possibly slicks installed so I can get better launches at the track, but that's about it.

Steve
yeah, I just can't wait :) I hope to see some na mods by early next year

drack2k2si
09-04-2002, 06:55 AM
just need to up the compresion, switch the cams, valve springs, pistons, change the ecu.

miamijdm
09-04-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by drack2k2si
just need to up the compresion, switch the cams, valve springs, pistons, change the ecu.
easier said than done buddy... :D

drack2k2si
09-04-2002, 07:40 AM
did not sense the sarcasiam

2K2SilverSi
09-04-2002, 09:13 AM
I managed a 16.08 on my third run ever in this car in the middle of summer. I still couldnt get the car to launch right as it was wheelhopping like crazy on the launch. I think with some better tires I could have diped doun into the 15.8-15.6 range if I could get it to launch better. With the stock tires I couldnt launch above 3500 while slipping the clutch without getting horrible wheelspin (and 3.0+ second 60foot times). I turned a 2.4 60 foot time on my 16.08 run and I should be able to get it to 2.2 with better tires which should drop the time considerably.

David K.
09-04-2002, 09:54 AM
I think we can get there w/o too much trouble. My I/H/E combo gave me great improvements in performance, and I think if I added pulleys, light wheels, and maybe an ECU upgrade of some kind even more performance will be realized. The poblem is waiting on these parts to arrive. I'm planning on the all-motor route (stock intenals), and maybe a modest shot of nitrous.

ssvr6
09-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Dave, you and I are thinking alike.

Steve

02SilverSiHB
09-04-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 2K2SilverSi
I managed a 16.08 on my third run ever in this car in the middle of summer. I still couldnt get the car to launch right as it was wheelhopping like crazy on the launch. I think with some better tires I could have diped doun into the 15.8-15.6 range if I could get it to launch better. With the stock tires I couldnt launch above 3500 while slipping the clutch without getting horrible wheelspin (and 3.0+ second 60foot times). I turned a 2.4 60 foot time on my 16.08 run and I should be able to get it to 2.2 with better tires which should drop the time considerably.
:) yeah, I know, I was there....I did worse :(

civic hatch boi
09-04-2002, 10:41 AM
maybe you guys aren't really good drivers.. didnt' someone get 15.5 stock? that driver could prob run 14's with just i/h/e IMO.
if you're running 16's in our car. that's not good.. unless it's 100deg where u live. in sunny san diego it's always cool :)

2K2SilverSi
09-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Yeah that day it was around 100 degrees with around 80% or so humidity. Not a good day to get good times. All my friends were .2-.4 seconds off their times so I didnt do too bad.

ssvr6
09-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Me too, I'm running 16.1 with a CAI in south FL with 90% humidity and 90 degrees out.

When it cools down, you'll see a change. (That and I'm taking too long between gears. I need to shorten the clutch pedal travel.)

Steve

02SilverSiHB
09-04-2002, 05:59 PM
maybe you guys aren't really good drivers.. didnt' someone get 15.5 stock? that driver could prob run 14's with just i/h/e IMO.
if you're running 16's in our car. that's not good.. unless it's 100deg where u live. in sunny san diego it's always cool :)
so what's your best time there boi. I'm a good driver, but maybe not in this car....maybe I'm not used to it yet

nikkotyper
09-04-2002, 06:20 PM

From what I remember one of our members got 15.5 stock with .511 rt which could mean three things

1) He is a world class driver - .511 is supernatural time on a .500 xMass tree

2) He got lucky

3) He misrepresented his rt

Most likely - HE GOT LUCKY.

ssvr6
09-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Last time I checked...RT has ZERO to do with your ET.

:rolleyes:

I've made 6 runs with the Si so far. 4 of those 6 runs were .5XX lights. It has NOTHING to do with the ET. What is indicitive of the ET is the 60' (show's what kind of traction you had) and your MPH (shows what times your should be running).

Steve

02SilverSiHB
09-04-2002, 08:25 PM

I've made 6 runs with the Si so far. 4 of those 6 runs were .5XX lights. It has NOTHING to do with the ET. What is indicitive of the ET is the 60' (show's what kind of traction you had) and your MPH (shows what times your should be running).

Steve
yeah, exactly. I don't know what that guys on to think that a reaction time has a huge affect on 1/4 mile time. I don't even concentrate on my reaction times when I'm at the track, just the 60ft.

2K2SilverSi
09-04-2002, 08:56 PM
I still remember the second time I ran my si I decided to try to launch it at a higher rpm oh boy did that hurt my time. All I can say is spinning through all of first all of second and half of third (finally got traction at around 50-60mph and I was in third) is not good for times. I was pritty disappointed with the 17.9 with the around 3.5 60 foot time. Our cars need some better rubber than the no grip pos rubber that is on the car.

And as for reaction time effecting things it never does unless of course you are going for a good reaction time for a competition or you are bracketracing

grooveline
09-05-2002, 09:05 AM
I like to run over poop with my car tire for that *extra* traction

02SilverSiHB
09-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by grooveline
I like to run over poop with my car tire for that *extra* traction :confused:

civic hatch boi
09-05-2002, 10:42 AM
haha, i didn't mean anything mean by my comment. hehe :) cuz i'd get a far worse time. i sucK!!! and i'm too poor to waste money on mods for my car.. it's just a daily driver :) but once my financial aid money comes. i might get some stuff :) either that or buy music stuff.. eg. Martin HD-35, Fender Strat(usa), Marshall Half Stack... ahaha with the money i'd use on my guitars, i can make my car run 13's!!!! geez.. and i thought car stuff would cost more.

nikkotyper
09-05-2002, 01:07 PM

Steve

Sure, I understand.
I was pointing out that the guy had some suspicious data. BTW, he was not from this forum. Another one, clubsi.com or honda-tech.com - I am not sure.

SpeedRacer
09-05-2002, 01:22 PM
i run 10's stock i dont know what car you guys are driving

SpeedRacer
09-05-2002, 01:35 PM
1/8 mile that is

02SilverSiHB
09-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
1/8 mile that is
:D your rediculous!

spike
09-05-2002, 08:29 PM
i don't think you EP guys will have too much trouble getting in to the 14's. it takes about 145whp (which is pretty easy to make) to get us focus boys into the high 14's. currently the best hp effort has been 182whp with a head package an other bolt ons, i think that car ran a 13.78. hell, we don't even have i-VTEC. but like i said, i don't think you guys will have too much trouble. good luck!:D

02SilverSiHB
09-06-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by spike
i don't think you EP guys will have too much trouble getting in to the 14's. it takes about 145whp (which is pretty easy to make) to get us focus boys into the high 14's. currently the best hp effort has been 182whp with a head package an other bolt ons, i think that car ran a 13.78. hell, we don't even have i-VTEC. but like i said, i don't think you guys will have too much trouble. good luck!:D
one guy here has 158whp with I/H/E. I don't think he was in the 14's. Maybe the focus is lighter?

spike
09-06-2002, 05:29 PM
the ZX3 is about 2550 (depending on options), so it is lighter, and i'm sure that makes some differance. but how much? maybe the gearing is better?:confused:

ssvr6
09-06-2002, 07:03 PM
High 13's with 182 whp? Interesting. There's a VR6 that does high 13's with a few mods and 190 whp but that thing has torque out of his ass.

I can't see a Focus running that. I can't see an Si doing it either. We weigh in at almost 2700 lbs so with all things being equal, it's about a tenth of a second faster just from that alone.

I don't know, I'm skeptical.

Steve

spike
09-06-2002, 08:14 PM
i should have mentioned that the car only weighs 2200lbs. not exactly gutted but it is stripped of just about every comfort item the car came with.