PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit installation kit

sai_iii
09-13-2003, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know where i can get a HU installation kit for our eps? I know that this has been posted before but i can't find it. I think the one i saw was black. Does any one know where i could get a silver one that would match the center console? Any reason would help tremendously. THis is the only reason why i haven't picked a head unit yet.

Civicvtec1ps
09-13-2003, 07:05 PM
www.crutchfield.com
black one fits perfect

sai_iii
09-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Great! appreciate it. I still wanna get a silver one though. but i might just get this one.

SiR Medic
09-14-2003, 03:30 PM
If you are really concerned about getting the silver...

I have found out that TESTORS model paint in the "Silver" color is a VERY good match for the EP's dash!

You could always buy the black kit(like I have) and spray-paint it silver, then give it a clear-coat finish! (like I plan to do!)

sai_iii
09-14-2003, 06:27 PM
sweet... i might do that. Where can i get the TESTORS paint?
By the way i got the black kit from a local dealer, only 15 bucks. I just gottta get some cash for a head unit now...

Zigen5
09-15-2003, 06:30 AM
I though they made a silver HU kit for our car.. Scorche??? Something like that...

SiR Medic
09-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by sai_iii
sweet... i might do that. Where can i get the TESTORS paint?

Check out your local toy and hobby stores, or even Wal-Mart...

You should be able to find the stuff whereever they sell plastic model kits.

I plan on using a automotive grade clear-coat however, just because it's cheaper.

I DID try out the paint today. First I primed the dash-kit (including the trim ring) Allowed to dry, and then applied the first light coat of silver. Remember not to rush things and that lots of light coats is better than one heavy coat.

The silver is a VERY close match (it is a 1/2 a shade lighter). You should not be able to tell the difference unless you are really being picky. This might even change after the clear coat... I'll let you know.

sai_iii
09-15-2003, 07:49 PM
sweet. please post pics!

SiR Medic
09-16-2003, 07:19 AM
I will post pics... Once the paint dries!

Just put on the first coat of Silver. I will put on at least one more and then 2 coats of clear-coat.

BarracksSi
09-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Is there a matte finish clear coat that's good for something like this? Way back when I was doing airplane models, there was a brush-on clear matte finish that was used to secure decals and cover their smooth surfaces. I wouldn't use it for something like this, so I'm wondering if there's another product that'll get a good result.

The stock dash isn't glossy, it's just silver, so I would want to make the texture match as well.

SiR Medic
09-20-2003, 10:04 AM
I painted the dash kit...

It's a pretty close match. Still want to put some sort of clear coat on it but the only stuff I've been able to find says "No Enamel" which is what I used.

I won't be able to post pics 'til I get back from Montreal on the 28th. I wanted to post before I left, but I just didn't have the time.:(

sai_iii
09-20-2003, 02:52 PM
sweet. could you post pics of before clear coat and after?

BlackSi613nin
09-21-2003, 12:52 PM
i have a hu install kit from my 01 civic coupe.. will that work wihth this one?

Civicvtec1ps
09-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by BlackSi613nin
i have a hu install kit from my 01 civic coupe.. will that work wihth this one?
no. i thought it would but didnt work
i had 02 civic coupe kit as well.(my old car_)

sai_iii
09-22-2003, 04:18 AM
i just put my head unit in last night. It was a bitch to put in since it was my first head unit installation. I even blew a fuse. Oh well it was worth it, it sounds Great! The metra kit that i got looks alright, but i got a Sony cdx-ca810x and it matches the dash. So now i really wanna paint my dash kit!

brendanSI
09-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps

no. i thought it would but didnt work
i had 02 civic coupe kit as well.(my old car_)

yeah it doesn't fit at all... although i think it can be modified, but im not sure

!@#$%
10-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Zigen5
I though they made a silver HU kit for our car.. Scorche??? Something like that...

once again it has been delayed.....this thing is worse than the icebox. *sighs I plan on calling them once again in a couple of weeks.

TEFye
10-05-2003, 02:08 AM
I bought the Metra install kit from Crutchfield(in black)and painted it. I used Plasti-Kote brand auto paint(6 ounce spray can)from Advance Auto Parts. The part number is FM8132 & is a nearly perfect match. It didn't have quite enough gloss, but a little clear coat fixed that.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=240105

sai_iii
10-05-2003, 11:33 AM
I painted mine just like i-werks did with Tamiya paint and it looks great! Sorry i-werks i used the same color!(i didn't like any other colors). next up Ctr shift boot and replica shift knob. Woo Hoo!