PDA

View Full Version : Growing sick of cars?

SpeedRacer
09-14-2003, 06:16 AM
ok maybe growing sick of them is a little extreme but man maybe it is because do alot of canyon raceing but lately i cant justify to my self to keep spending 400 bucks on new tires every 4 months, ya know what i meen? Im also always fixing something wether it is a sway bar link a d link, a broken cat, screwed up srs light(just been to lazy to reset it. and my bumpers are all fucked up because i park outside everynight and you have to parallel park because there is no parking where im at. Honestly i just cant afford to keep dumping all this money in the car i've already put like almost 10,000 dollars into it. How i have no fucking clue i dont make that good of money and im tired of being broke.

P.S. Dont get me wrong I LOVE MY CAR if i had to do it over again id buy the same thing. shit i need new rotors now which are 12.2 inches and i need pads and a mess of other shit. im really tired right now and what i wrote might be completely crazy to you guys but if ANYBODY relates please tell me how you feal about the situation because there is no way i will give up my car and if i have it im going to race it so im kinda screwed i guess i just need to save up money for a daily driver and only use my car for raceing. anyways sorry for going on an on just needed to vent a little

thaks guys.

oh yea please dont talk shit this is a real issue for me.

RiceCzechs
09-14-2003, 06:50 AM
I think in my line of work I'd be in real trouble if I ever just became "sick" of automobiles. That said, I can completely understand and relate to the feeling that I'm spending too much and getting too little in return. From the extent of your activities and the wear-and-tear on your EP, it sounds like you're a real automotive enthusiast, and someone who is willing to spend a decent chunk of coin on their hobbies. Perhaps it is time for a change of pace? Another way to get your speed and g fix? Maybe a motorcycle, or a mountain bike, or something? I'd recommend buying a shifter cart or something, but that gets expensive in a hurry, as well. Hell, buy a skateboard or a huge stunt kite or something...

That, or take a break from the scene... try and figure out why you started tinkering and racing in the first place, and see if it is still worth it to you. I wish you the best of luck. Having suffered from this same disease for more than 27 years, I can tell you that your fixation is probably fatal.
;)

SpeedRacer
09-14-2003, 08:48 AM
thanks that was a great answer i apreciate it. i want a bike but all my famly members say i will kill my self and keep giving me shit for even thinking about it.
anyways thanks alot i have to get to work i would apreciate some more responses though

civic hatch boi
09-14-2003, 09:21 AM
although i only spend 1/100th of the money u spend on ur car.. sometimes i feel the same... even when i spend like $50 on my car, im like. why? what will it do for me? nothing.

team ERA 5
09-14-2003, 11:00 AM
yep yep i get u iman...this is from my girlfriends perseptive>>>>why do u lower your car and it makes it harder for u to get around and u have to watch out for bumps and speed bumps.....then she says why do u need to be fast and look all good...what do u get outta it....braggin right? i dont kno girls dont understand guys and they think thats all we do.....but sometimes i do think about it....u buy an exaust for like 500 bucks then u gain like a couple hps and lose tq haha it doesnt make sense....and intakes like 200 bucks and u gain like 2 hps hahah its all fun and having that sound but is it really worth it...but im still gonna hoook up my car...just gonna go show and a lil speed later on in life when i have enough money to fix thinks if they break...but ones a modder always a modder....hahah but i get u iman.....ill take ur wing if u run low on funds :p :p :p

dw735
09-14-2003, 11:45 AM
there is nothing wrong with putting a lot of love into your car. it is a hobby like someone has skateboarding, biking, drawing, running, but our hobby just takes a lot of money. i think of it as this way: it gives me a rush to race my car, whether its on the street track or strip. im only going to live once. if i dont spend my money on my car, then ima gamble spend it on clothes and save it so when i get old, i can buy a house. that is why i am going to college, so i can buy a house. but you're young once, have fun. i spent a lot of money on my car too. in a few months, ima hit a big dent in my wallet buying a crap load of stuff for my car. its all about your pride for yourself and your car. its a hobby, everyone has one, but ours is just expensive as hell

02TafWhtSi
09-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Some days I just want an Accord auto so I don't have to think about driving :)

SilentGiant
09-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Speedracer,

I came from riding bikes..and just started to get into cars and tuning.

I can't say I blast the canyons in my car as much as you do, but I did when I rode my motorcycle. It was getting to the point that I would ride them so much it was cheaper to trade in to a newer one instead of paying for new clutch, gearbox and tires. I still have my current bike, GSXR-1000 and I usually go through a rear tire every 2000 miles. You'll be spending just as much on tires with a motorcycle. I put 16000 miles on my 2nd bike in 3 months just blasting the twisties and doing track days. I think I spent close to 700 bucks on tires that summer.

I got to the same point as slowly my riding group dwindled due to accidents, getting married, going back to school. Until I was the last one....now its just sitting in my garage, its fun, but I don't get the same joy...maybe its just motorsports A.D.D.

Take a break from your car like RiceCzechs said.. I am selling my sportbike for a few years playing with my EP and then come back to it. It was fun but it engulfs you.. all I did for 4 years was work to feed my habit of living and breathing motorcycles..you are the same with your car no?

chubbychu
09-14-2003, 07:22 PM
i didnt read any of the previous posts...but personally, if you are having a hard time with this wear and tear stuff, maybe you should cut back a little. i mean cars are definitely fun...but fun has got to be taken with a bit of moderation.

ep3guy
09-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I agree with you on the money part. I'm broke now and jobless. I messed something up on my car and it costed $420 to fix everything. And recently, I basically got scammed online by "Law" on this board. And I still need shocks and a major alignment. :'(

ep pilot
09-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Personally I feel dumping a ton of cash into a daily driver is a moot point. whether or not your in a C5 Vette every day, to a Porsche Cayenne (turbo) you will get sick of it if it's your daily driver.

I have come to the conclusion, not to invest another dime into the aesthetics or performance of my car, as it's most notable asset to my needs is a commuter. I've put a few miles in the year I've owned the car. It already needs rubber all the way around, it's always dirty, even though I wash it twice a week. But I love it for it initial qualities. Great milage, It's plenty peppy for scooting in-&-out of traffic jams, the car is also reasonably ergonomic and accommodating with the rear seats folded.

My Ep3 I admit, is no-longer the exhilarating pocket-rocket it was the first week I owned it. But it has switched roles per-se in a sense that will become a means to an end.

-Ryan

Type X
09-14-2003, 08:41 PM
My thing is if your gonna be into this hobby its not about
flashy things , auto x whatever its maint.

if your not willing to shell out the $ for replacement brakes, oil changes and if dented or scratched ....repairs

i get rock chips i get repaint :)
i get brake fade i replace the brakes

but till your ready to do that
u need to stop buying "new things" and keep the car nice

my .02

- me

* on a side note ....really awaiting this reply:cool:

IceD out N CALI
09-14-2003, 09:29 PM
yeah thats pretty much how it is when u mod cars-it is expensive to watch yourself

Suk02Si
09-15-2003, 03:20 AM
You've had your Wilwoods for over a year now, I think they were well worth the $800 you spent on them. You drive the hell out of your car everyday and blast through canyons more than anyone else we know, I think that with the amount of spirited driving you do $400 for tires is well worth it.

Its not like your dumping all this money into performance parts only to use them for stop-n-go traffic.

CleanBlackSi02
09-15-2003, 02:58 PM
I want to save up to boost my EP, but I've also considered what else I can do with 4 grand. That's not even including a new clutch and exhaust! My problem is that I love cars AND guitar equipment, so I have to decide what I spend my cash on. For four grand I could even buy myself an old muscle car, a bike, or several new guitars and amps! Hrmmm... Suddenly boost doesen't seem so appealing. In the end it comes down to what gives you the most pleasure. If it's your car, I say go for it! Spend the cash!

phatfreeza
09-15-2003, 03:00 PM
a few remarks from this corner:

if you REALLY do LOVE your car that much, and you REALLY do LOVE canyon racing and what not, then you my friend need another job or get a raise. i know, the unemployment rate ain't sliding down like ice on a slippery slope, but hey i won't get into that. there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing, heck i would love to do what you do! i love the thought of modding my car and looking good in it!

just like most other people, i've come to the realization that this has become my latest hobby, and hobbies are supposed to make your life more enjoyable, as i'm sure your car has made your life more enjoyable. but for every "enjoy" there's a ... well opposite of that. okay i'm rambling.

two options i see.
1) raise that income
2) stop racing your car and concentrate on maintaining it for awhile.

i'm sure there are more options but that's all my feeble little mind could come up with at the moment. whatever the case, good luck and have fun while you can!

civic hatch boi
09-15-2003, 03:48 PM
yo cleanblack, i love guitar stuff too. i want a american fender strat :) i have a hondo fame electric, a gretcsh electromatic, and a yamaha apx8a acoustic. i need a new electric (good one this time) and amp... as for acoustics.. i want a Martin HD35 :) John Mayer style wooHOO.