PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have a laundry list for their Honda dealer?

ep pilot
09-14-2003, 08:11 PM
I

ATRIOT
09-14-2003, 09:14 PM
my window leaks
they said they fixed it
i got wet in the car wash
:(

jackson03si
09-15-2003, 12:47 AM
See my post about the A/C compressor.
Besides that major problem, the only thing that has happened to my Si since I bought it are little dings in the body. Seems to happen to Hondas alot though.

Oh yeah, and I can never seem to get my windshield clean either. What's up with that?

Jackson

StrangeShadow
09-15-2003, 01:24 AM
windows, when closed i can hear wind still coming through.

Suk02Si
09-15-2003, 01:51 AM
1- tranny probs, jammed syncro(my fault)
2- clutch pedal creak

Thats it:D

oldschoolimport
09-15-2003, 02:00 AM
ok heres my list
first visit, sunroof leak
second visit, sunroof leak and they broke my windshield
third visit, windshield and sunroof replaced
fourth visit, sunroof leak
fifth visit, sunroof leak, ends up they messed up the windshield seal. they broke the windshield trim. discussed the lemon law. they offered me a rental. I told them I bought an si not a focus. they gave me a 03 si. at 32 miles on 03 loaner their ac compressor goes out.
sixth visit, numerous rattles fixed. and windshield trim replaced.
seventh visit is scheduled for an oil leak.
when I go by to buy parts for my crx, they have learned not to inquire about the si!!!
I love my car, but I almost had them buy it back because of the trouble. honda dealers don't know how to act when you throw a copy of the lemon law on their desk. shit will start to happen. they have a "reputation" to uphold.
this car is built in England. no offense to our British members, but my father had an MGB (made in England) and it was notorious for shit messing up. I mentioned the similarities to my dealer and they gave me the "honda worldwide quality program" speech. what ever. maybe I am almost took care of though.

furious
09-15-2003, 05:30 AM
1) gaslid cable loose (opens most of the time)
2) clutch makes incremental quiet klunks (very quiet though, can mostly feel it)
3) I too hear wind noises with windows closed but I am just suspecting the side mirrors doing that (not much can be done about the aerodynamics)
4) I can't stand the smell after hard acceleration, but from what I have read - I am NOT alone on this
5) I hate my tires but I'm just going to wear them out as I drive like I autocross every morning and afternoon..

1st dealer visit) attached the rear Si as they are notoriously missing on many 03 hondas in my region, had them replaced the steering column covering caused they cracked the tabs after installing factory alarm LED

2nd dealer visit) had popping and crackling noise checked on the suspension components.....they tightened everything and the noise has been reduced but not gone - yet I am also aware that I am NOT alone on this one

3rd future visit) have them look into clutch noise and tighten the gaslid cable

blueiedgod
09-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Listed Chronologically.
1. Center vent broke - replaced under warranty
2. Driver's door rattled: retaining clip broke during assembly - replaced under warranty
3. Driver's window popped off the track - dealer replaced regulator and the weather seal under warranty
4. Trunk leaked - dealer re-adjusted tailgate under warranty
5. Driver's door handle snapped - dealer fixed under warranty
6. Trunk leaked - dealer replaced the seals under warranty
7. Passenger window came off track - to go in next saturday
8. Brake rotors are warped - to go in next saturday
9. Trunk is still leaking - to go in next saturday
10. The silver center console is all pimply, the dealer will have to see to replace it.

To add injury to th einslut, I called American Honda asking them to give me 7 year/100 000 mile extended warranty because they have failed me as a company. I was turned down, if the hatch is still leaking after this visit, I am going to lemon laywer.

blacksihatch
09-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Well I am working on a list.

1. My car smells worse then my ass in the morning after a hard night of drinking.

2. The plastic piece by the seat is coming off, I seem to kick it when getting in to the car.

3. The clutch peddle makes that wonderfull squeaking sound.

Other then that the car seems to be running good and keeps me dry.

trk
09-15-2003, 07:14 AM
1- window off track
2- seats bunching up
3- window off track again
4- driver side seat lever
5- window off track again
6- windshield trim replaced
7- window off track AGAIN...

etc..

seattlecivic
09-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Bought EP3 in July 03.

1) After seeing other Si's, I came to realize my Civic Emblem was crooked. Had that fixed.

2) After washing my car the driverside quarter panel was leaking. I am like.. what the hell. Had that fixed.

3)awaiting 5,000 miles so I can get my first tune-up :)

One thing that bugs is the 6800 rpm limit. When I am in 2nd gear I can't even reach 60. The engine cuts out... When they say 6800, they mean it! I don't want the Hondata cause I am too close on getting Boost! Hmm... it will probably just sit in a box for a while. Ohhh... better save this for another thread :)

ahhhonda
09-15-2003, 11:48 AM
At nearly 4500 miles all I've had to have done so far is have my rattling speakers tightened. Since my first oil change at ~3000 miles, I've had no visible oil loss yet either. No leaks, no broken parts, no rattles or squeaks yet. I am sometimes disappointed with the power, but most of the time it's still very enjoyable to drive. This is my first car with a dark black interior, and dang is it hard to keep clean! I just hope this car treats me as well as my 94 Civic DX hatch did..

SexySIgiRL
09-15-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't know what's wrong with my car..but there's this funny knocking sound like it's coming from above my front left tire. and it's hard as hell to get my car into reverse! does anyone else have this problem? like, i'll put it in reverse but it won't click in..so i have to press the gas a little bit and pull a little harder and then it knocks in. I think I need to have a guy bring my car into the shop to have it looked at because I think since I'm a girl...they're gonna think I'm stupid and say nothing's wrong with it...or say all kinds of things are wrong with it and rip me off.
Are these kind of things still waranteed with Honda? I've had my car for a year..and 20,000 miles...so i should still be covered, right?

Mugen Power
09-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Hmm, here's mine:

Bad bearing in idler pulley (replaced under warranty)
Crunchy synchros (brought it in 3 times to 2 different dealers, still not fixed)
Front right suspension area clunk
Croaking clutch pedal
Rattling speakers
Slight click when stepping on brake pedal sometimes

That's all I can think of for now. Besides the pulley, everything else isn't fixed. The only ones that really bother me are the tranny and the suspension clunk.

On that note, I was thinking while coming back from the dealer this past Saturday (for sched. maintenance and checking out the tranny, among other things...) that maybe for the lucky few who HAVE gotten their tranny fixed/replaced under warranty to please share which dealer fixed it and possibly who the tech was that you talked to that fixed it. I think it would be a great help to those of us who are in your area and have this problem cuz if a dealer/tech never knew about this problem, they may never admit to it.

IchBinEinSiR
09-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Canadian Bacon...

1. Rattle in dash - looked at
2. Rattle in dash - fixed
3. Front end noise - looked at
4. Front right strut removed and spring and mount greased
5. Front right axle splines greased (???)
6. Left and right struts removed, rubber spring covers installed
7. Right strut mount replaced - they wrecked the original
8. Alignment done - pulled left, now pulls right
9. Going back Thursday for another alignment
10. Going back next Thursday to meet Honda Canada Rep.

I love my car but:

HOLY SHIT, I have done less to used cars with 200,000kms on them!! And though the work is free but my time isn't. After next Thursday I will have seen them 10 times (excluding oil changes).

Do we have a Lemon Law here in Canada? Any help out there? I would love to get another one hopefully without problems...

StrangeShadow
09-16-2003, 02:43 PM
1. My car smells worse then my ass in the morning after a hard night of drinking.
rofl

I don't want the Hondata cause I am too close on getting Boost!
...doesn't that mean you are now going to get to the red line/cutoff SOONER/FASTER...

I don't know what's wrong with my car..but there's this funny knocking sound like it's coming from above my front left tire. and it's hard as hell to get my car into reverse! does anyone else have this problem? like, i'll put it in reverse but it won't click in..so i have to press the gas a little bit and pull a little harder and then it knocks in. I think I need to have a guy bring my car into the shop to have it looked at because I think since I'm a girl...they're gonna think I'm stupid and say nothing's wrong with it...or say all kinds of things are wrong with it and rip me off.
Are these kind of things still waranteed with Honda? I've had my car for a year..and 20,000 miles...so i should still be covered, right?
try taking your foot off the clutch/completely letting it out with the car in neutral, then clutch in and shift to reverse. I think there is a safety feature that keeps you from going from 1st to reverse, cause I can't go from 1st to reverse when I first start my car(after leaving it parked in 1st). If that is'nt it, it probably needs to be checked out. =)
-and yep, take someone w/you to any shop, if you are not too sure about something. Don't want them to try to take advantage and rip you off.
warrenty should still be good.
-good luck. =)

cjonesgo
09-16-2003, 03:15 PM
-speaker rattled, got it fixed.
-my sun visor does not stay all the way towards the windshield, it just falls to the lowest point. very annoying. have yet to take it in.
-rubber gasket on roof is warping, have to take it in.
- and i have that clunk in my front end!! i just assumed it was due to the tein springs i installed!! is this the case with you guys? i am thinking that as it is suspension related, they will just say the springs caused it. clunk seems random. i cannot duplicate it's cause. seems to do it more often when turning left and weight shifts (brake/accel) i have looked for loose bolts etc, and found nothing!! what's wrong? anyone know?

-also, will a grounding kit help with my headlights dimming when i use windows or sunroof? the headlighs dim signifigantly whenever i push my up/down buttons. also, when i catch my cat sleeping on my car and pick him up and beg him not to, i get a shock!!! not bad but noticable. pretty much every time. this does not seem normal to me, and i am used to british cars. i did not think i would be able to complain about any other car after ol lucas electrics (king of darkness). any suggestions? i do not think the dealer covers static shocks by cats.

Z-49
09-17-2003, 01:21 AM
warranty is 3 years/36k miles. you can get everything fix by honda with out paying for anything & you can get a rental car too, (if your old enough) peeps with wind noise, do you have tinted window? your runchannels might by cut for the tinter, it has happen. the cluch petal noise, just have to wd40 it.

Mechanic
09-17-2003, 05:21 AM
Not trying to start a war here, guys, but after reading through your lists of problems, I kept thinking: Boy, standards sure have changed as to what constitutes a significant car "problem."

You guys should have lived through the era of '50s and '60 British sports cars. What a/c? Power steering? When it rained, water pored into the passenger compartment. When the sun came out, the interior of your car turned into a smelly sauna. Mechanical problems were ENDLESS. If a clutch lasted 20k, you obviously were nursing it. In most cases, you got a six-month, 6k warranty and it was limited to the "hard parts." And American cars, while marginally more reliable -- i.e., for the most part they'd start when it was raining -- they were dull as dirt. And the fit-and- finish levels stank. Until the mid-'70s when the Japanese makes began to hit their stride, the only car on the road that you could count on to start, take you to-and-from work, and not cost you an arm and leg to run was a V-dub. Even then, however, VW owners consistently burned up engines because they refused to check their oil level. Five-thousand miles after an oil change, they'd show up in a service line, their fried V-dub hanging from a tow-truck hook, and demand -- demand!-- that VofA replace their engines for free. (The really ballsy ones would insist they deserved a NEW engine, not a rebuilt one.)

Thus, when I read about guys who have "a rattle in the dash--been to the dealer twice (!)," or "had to have my front struts replaced and I'm getting a lawyer," or my personal favorite, the guy who mod'ed his car with a Hondata computer, subsequently blew up the engine, and then pissed and moaned that his constitutional rights had been violated (!) when Honda replayed the data from the ECU and confirmed his history of abusing the piss out of his car. ROTFLOL.

Sorry guys, but I gotta say, on their worst day, you can't do better than a Honda. If you really do get a bad one -- meaning a failure from a mechanical defect that strands you by the side of the road -- well, then, that's how you know for sure that God hates your guts.

IchBinEinSiR
09-17-2003, 06:50 AM
I am not comparing my car to the ones from the 50's and 60's... I am comparing it to other Honda Civic hatchbacks from the late 80's to the late 90's. Examples:

1. 1999 Civic HB - 200,000kms+ only maintenance
2. 1995 Civic HB - 165,000kms+ only maintenance
3. 1992 Civic HB - 225,000kms+ only maintenance
4. 1988 Civic HB - 427,000kms+ changed shocks, rad and only maintenance

I can go on, with examples from Mazda and Toyota as well, but need I? The rattle in the dash was no big deal (a loose screw) and I was more than happy that they did it without complaint. The noise in the front end however is a big deal, as it could be the struts, the steering rack, an axle, or bearing etc., and it only is getting worse sounding. So yes, I would like to have this problem fixed before it does leave me stranded or worse...

cjonesgo
09-17-2003, 11:01 AM
ok, to start off, i should note that my first (and only other) car was a 74 mgb. i know quite a bit about the brit cars and their (lack of) build quality. i kept the thing going for the past six years, and in that time rebuilt every part on it with the exception of the transmission. having an mgb as a daily driver will make even the most devout enthusiast want a honda.
going from that, there are a few things that i expect from a new car.
1) 30 years of development and technological engineering should not allow for things like leaks, loose sun visors, or minor trivialities. granted accidents happen, screws are not tightened, whatever. this just happens, but i can completely understand people wanting the dealer to fix it.
2) reliability. a new car should not leave you on the side of the road unless you forget to fill the gas tank. anyone that has had their ep strand them has every right to complain.
3) warranties allow us piece of mind. it should not be more work to get repairs or replacements by the dealer than doing it yourself.

i am the first to admit a mistake on my part, and that is why i have not brought my clunking suspension into the dealer. i put lowered springs on it, and now it makes a funny noise. if i broke it, i expect that i will have to fix it. if something goes wrong with my engine, as i have not touched it, you bet i will be taking it in to be repaired. and i expect that it will be covered. it is cause and effect people. if you abuse your car and jack your tranny, you should (and will likely) have to pay for it. warrenties are there to cover manufacturing defects, or otherwise sub standard parts, not mis-shifts, or glazed clutch plates.

with that out of the way, if anyone has any insight to this front suspension noise, let us know!! it will help those that want to fix it, and also help those that want to convince the dealer to fix it for them.
:D

Zero Three Si
09-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Driver door...something was TOTALLY LOOSE in the door
even the door panel wasn't on right.

Whatever they fixed the problem went away (it sounded like the door was completely hollow when you closed it)

Now when i start the car the Maintenance light flashs for like 30 seconds after the car has been started and then goes away....not sure what the heck that means.

AkronSi
09-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
Now when i start the car the Maintenance light flashs for like 30 seconds after the car has been started and then goes away....not sure what the heck that means.

Are you close to 10000 or 20000 miles? When you get close, the light blinks and then eveuntually it will stay on. The dealer will reset it if you get your oil change there....or you can read the owners manual and do it yourself. It's easy. I'd tell you know, but off the top of my head, I forget the specifics.

AkronSi
09-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Oh yeah, defects.

I had a problem with my oil pressure light that seemed to correct it's self. The dealer could never duplicate the problem and it hasn't been a problem since. So, i don't worry about that any more.

The only other things are the clutch squeak and both of my door liners are fading and wearing very bad. I don't even rest my arm on the damn things and it looks worse than my previous 12 yr old ford. One of these days I'll take it in.

One question: What exactly do the rubber weather stips on the roof do? Mine have buckled a bit, is that a problem? Thanks.

Zero Three Si
09-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by AkronSi

Are you close to 10000 or 20000 miles? When you get close, the light blinks and then eveuntually it will stay on. The dealer will reset it if you get your oil change there....or you can read the owners manual and do it yourself. It's easy. I'd tell you know, but off the top of my head, I forget the specifics.

Yup....I'm at 8,000 miles

What fockers....

cjonesgo
09-17-2003, 12:52 PM
the weather strips on the roof cover the main welds in the body. they are strictly cosmetic. as such, if they warp, i think that they should be covered under warranty.
at least that is what i am going to say when i take mine in...

AkronSi
09-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks cjonesgo.

eurosteez
09-20-2003, 12:20 AM
this thread scares me

StrangeShadow
09-21-2003, 03:07 AM
yeah, this is getting crazy, I've only had prbs with one window...and that was on a cold day....if my car had as many prbs as some of these mentioned I'ld take it back.

eurosteez
09-21-2003, 05:26 PM
only prob is my stock shocks clunk and click constantly. hopfully this problem can be picked apart when i install some new springs.
thanks to all the helpful info on EpHatch, doesn't seem to be anything major.

karlo_ep3
09-25-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by SexySIgiRL

I have the same thing on my car.

intelli
09-25-2003, 08:43 PM
This thread scares me. I have had 6 other Honda's for a total of 27 years of Honda driving. The only thing outside of scheduled maint. was a fuel pump fuse on my 87 SI and 5th gear on my 87 SI. The 5th gear was an autocrossing "incident".

My EP3 is going in for the second time Monday.

Problem 1. CD Player DOA. Replaced by dealer.
Problem 2. Steering Column Cover doesn't snap close. Replacement scheduled for 9/28.

Love the car but I am worried that Honda quality has declined.

My first mod goes in tomorrow. K&N Filtercharger. Small but it is just the begining.