PDA

View Full Version : doh! god damned hub caps!

ny-quiL
09-15-2003, 09:27 AM
so this weekend im cruising down the highway in a good amount of traffic and whats sitting in the road? a fuckin hub cap. i had a car on both sides of me so i didnt have much room to move around and i clipped it with the inside of my tire and it flopped up into my wheel well.....ugh, not the best noise you wanna hear.

anyways, i got off at a rest stop and didnt see any damage, so i got back on the highway. next day im cleaning my car and i notice some grease up in the wheel well splattered around...uh oh. so i take my wheel off to inspect and i dont see anything out of the ordinary cept for a spot of grease on the cv joint boot......no rip in it or anything, cept for when i give it a sqeeze i can hear air like a small pin hole or something.....grrr

so heres the question im hoping someone can help me out with, will the honda deal rape me on this, or will they cover it ? i do have aftermarket springs (eibach prokit)

Hatch, Si Hatch
09-15-2003, 09:51 AM
You can try explaining to them what happened and maybe they will fix it under warrenty. I know there was a lady in a new Accord that hit something rather larger on the interstate last time I was at the dealer and they had to replace the underpinning, scrap plate, parts of her exhaust system and some other stuff and they replaced it under warrenty.

In regard to your ProKit, I think they have to prove that is what caused the problem before they can deny you service.

blacksihatch
09-15-2003, 10:03 AM
they will try and screw you because your car is lowered, but its worth a try.

silver ep
09-15-2003, 10:20 AM
If you can make it down near me, go to the Honda dealer in Streetsburo. Classic Honda will do just about anything!

02TafWhtSi
09-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by blacksihatch
they will try and screw you because your car is lowered, but its worth a try.

I agree - just fight back that they are not related. its a big job to replace a CV boot so just keep it in mind that you would have to fork over about $400 after labor ;)

TrippZ
09-15-2003, 04:30 PM
they'll probably say that because the car is lower the hubcap hit, if it was higher up it wouldnt have

the jews at my dealership would do that at least

no offense to jews btw, just a saying. sry

Type X
09-15-2003, 07:08 PM
heres a tip

when u go to honda

if they dont ask u about the hubcap.....dont mention it :);)

ny-quiL
09-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I called my dealer and talked to the shop guy, he said it wouldnt be under warranty because it was an outside object that caused it, so i asked how much it would be and he said 150-170$ (which doesnt sound all that bad to me), and went to go see if they had one in stock, they didnt so he ordered one, then we talk a little more and he tells me that i should come in this weekend and not mention the hub cap at all, just say i noticed grease and i knew that it wasnt supposed to be there. I dont think there will be a problem with the axle just because there isnt a visible hole in the boot, so dirt and shit cant get in there.

Also after talking with him i find out the guy who sold me the car lied to me about the extended warranty and what it covers, like he told me clutch would be covered on it...i was skeptical, but hey, i didnt expect the honda salesman to flat out lie to me.

...oh and that guy "isnt with the dealership anymore"

if anyone cares ill post what happens when i take it in.

02TafWhtSi
09-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ny-quiL

...oh and that guy "isnt with the dealership anymore"

:D
I bet!

Tnhatch03
09-16-2003, 05:03 PM
no offense takin Trippz...but no remarks like that again please....thanks bud...

siver-SI
09-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Ok you can do this fix for cheap yourself. Autozone or pepboys I think it is has a CV boot fix. What it is the boot come with a split down the side of it. You cut off your old boot and then install the new one. You just slid it over the joint and then you clamp it down at each end and the center has like a zip lock bag type thing that holds it togther and every so many inches you take a crimp and crimp it together. I saw it on Shadetree Mecanic now called two guys garage a few years back.

ny-quiL
09-17-2003, 12:14 PM
hmmm thanks for the advice on that. im still gonna take it in and see if i can get it covered, im willing to dish out a little bit to have it fixed by honda in order to avoid replacing the whole axle...

But ill definitely keep this in mind if somethin like this happens again or anyone i know has a bad cv boot, seems like it would be good enough for at least a temporary fix if someone had to get it done and didnt have the $$ to get a proper boot put on.

mmmmm...ephatch at its finest...people helping people :D