PDA

View Full Version : Car weights

Rey
09-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone.

I just came from my cousins house and he lives by a huge truck stop. I had an idea, I was just thinking about how much our cars weigh, and if gutting our beauties is worth it. I walked right up to the truck stop service lady, and asked if I could use the truck scale to weigh my car. She said sure, 8 bucks, I was like SOLD!!

My car weighed 2740 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas!!!!

My cousin had a 92' civic dx hatchback, and he weighed his too.
2050 lbs!!!

No wonder that 100 hp car can keep up with me, but I still win. heh. So if you do plan, or have already gutted your car, go get it weighed, you never know what you will find out.:p

JLannoo
09-15-2003, 06:03 PM
It would be cool to use the scales after you gutted it (if thats your thing). Stock weights however are listed right on the Honda site.

2744 / 2752 (w/side airbags)

Rey
09-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Yah, I know that, but have you ever just wondered???

NamingException
09-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Yes. I was thinking about doing the same exact thing.

ep pilot
09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo
It would be cool to use the scales after you gutted it (if thats your thing). Stock weights however are listed right on the Honda site.

2744 / 2752 (w/side airbags)

Oh-damn! I've got the one with side SRS!! arggg!:rolleyes:

I only weigh about a buck-50 though so it's all good!

-Ryan

BlasTech
09-15-2003, 09:07 PM
I've been thinking about calling the recycling centers around here to see if any of em have car scales, too. :) I just wanna know.

nozomi
09-15-2003, 09:48 PM
I weighted my car with full tank of gas, 2752 pounds

just go to one of those scale station on the highway at nite, it's free:D

Quicksilver
09-15-2003, 10:21 PM
You can also try the dumps. Their scales are usually more accurate than the truck scales. Plus it's free as long as you're not dumping anything.

oldschoolimport
09-16-2003, 05:46 AM
wonder if a truck stop would care if I pulled up with a trailer and unloaded a less than street legal crx and weighed it

I am hoping for about 1400lbs:D

Rey
09-16-2003, 04:13 PM
I think you will be alright, as long as you can drive it up on the scale and back off.

Tenacious G
09-16-2003, 05:29 PM
i weighed in at the track at right about 2900 lbs with about an 1/8th of a tank of gas. i'm about 160, so the 2740 curb weight sounds about right.

EP3_DC5
09-16-2003, 05:47 PM
I weighed my car recently when it was being cornerweighed.....
2683 without me and 2857 with me in it.
This is with no spare, jack or Bose sub. Almost 1/2 tank of gas in it. Pretty good IMO!

Rey
09-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Crazy.........

Any gutted EP's weighed yet??

dw735
09-23-2003, 09:26 PM
i have almost everything out, but the nearest truck scales is 50 miles away, and i am always having crap in my car, so next time i am just gonna go without my junk. ill post it when i get it done

chubbychu
09-23-2003, 09:37 PM
gutting sounds really cool, but its so ugly. haha I wonder if there is a way to make things lighter while keeping a somewhat good lookin car.

ALSO, is it the interior plastic and such that weigh it down? will taking out carpeting and stuff make that much of a difference?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-24-2003, 10:18 AM
I dunno if the scale at Englishtown was off or not but I weighed in at 2650 lbs w/o driver last time out.
That equals 3,000 lbs w/ driver!! :eek:

BlasTech
09-24-2003, 10:25 AM
2650 without driver is pretty light compared to the stock spec of 2744.

You must have light mods.

Zero Three Si
09-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
I dunno if the scale at Englishtown was off or not but I weighed in at 2650 lbs w/o driver last time out.
That equals 3,000 lbs w/ driver!! :eek:

Damn you way 350lbs dogg.....damn you a big mo fo....

BlasTech
10-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Just went to the public scales at the recycling center today, removed my spare, jack, self (145lbs), and half-tank of gas:

2640 lbs!

I'd like to do mods that get it down into the 2500's and still be in STS for auto-x. :D

bratkat64
10-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Fiberglass where you remove the plastic - isn't it way lighter?

SexySIgiRL
10-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
will taking out carpeting and stuff make that much of a difference?

I don't think it'll make any difference. it's like contemplating on whether or not you want to wear clothes while you're sitting in your car and weighing it. haha. too light to tell. But shooot..this post is a big encouragement for me to lose weight!!!

it's also kind of nice knowing that i have a slight advantage being a girl since girls typically weigh less than guys :)

Dunrick
10-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by SexySIgiRL
I don't think it'll make any difference. it's like contemplating on whether or not you want to wear clothes while you're sitting in your car and weighing it. haha. too light to tell. But shooot..this post is a big encouragement for me to lose weight!!!

it's also kind of nice knowing that i have a slight advantage being a girl since girls typically weigh less than guys :)

Yeah, no fair. I weigh 170's

Depends on when I take a crap hahahha

Vivid-Cruz
10-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Yeah, no fair. I weigh 170's

Depends on when I take a crap hahahha

wrong... flat out ..wrong..

Tenacious G
10-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Vivid-Cruz
wrong... flat out ..wrong..

sooooooo ... you've measured how much his crap weighs?

p.s. i think he was just kidding.

BlasTech
10-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the story with weight reduction is it can have an effect on handling and braking if you autocross, and it also pertains to how high off the ground the cars "roll center is". Bigger drops in wieght can affect quarter mile times, too, and it could be the difference between 15.0 and 14.9 for some people.

I've wieghed the carpet swatch and padding that sits in the hatch area, and I would estimate there's about 10-15 lbs total carpet and padding in the car.

Just remember that one dramataic thing will help, and many small things will help, but one or two small things wont.

In autocross, there are restrictions on how much stuff you can tear off your car and remain in the "street" classes. Take out too much (replace the sunroff with a CF plug, for instance) and you just slipped into the same class of cars that come wheeled in on trailers because they're not street legal. The competition is fierce.

Street classes do however allow you to change out some parts for performance or safety parts...and every part you switch out is an opportunity to drop the overall weight of the car.

MrCivic03
10-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by SexySIgiRL
I don't think it'll make any difference. it's like contemplating on whether or not you want to wear clothes while you're sitting in your car and weighing it. haha. too light to tell.

i would say if he wants to ditch it go ahead and while ur at it take ur clothes off and race Buck Naked(heh maybe 5 pounds lost). hey plainol if u want to ditch all that u should just carpet the parts that end up bare. it will look good and will lose weight. also how about losing them stock seats they weigh like 30 lbs. so just some things to consider...

blueiedgod
10-16-2003, 09:00 AM
I think a few years back either Sport compact car or one of the other magazines wrote an article about vehicle weight. They chose Nissan Sentra as "Victim" By th end of the article they had a 1500 lbs racer with no doors, no glass, 4 doghnut spares, and chopped off trunk. I am sure the article was a spoof on how far people would go, but it was entertaining. I think most of the weight in our cars is from the bracing. Remove the A pillar cover, there is a pipe in there. There are pipes in doors, and under the floor.