PDA

View Full Version : Aem Nightmare

02NJHondaep3
09-15-2003, 06:07 PM
So I got my brand new AEM CAI. I tried to install it and i just can't get the pipe thro everything. I call up a friend to help and it turns out i have to cut parts of the inner well. Did any of you have to do this? I followed 3 different instructions. AEM's, Ephatches, K-series'. I just dont get it. Some of the pictures seem off or I'm not seeing them right. My intake is all scratched up from me trying and i'm ready to just have a shop do it. Not only that, I get my intake when we're about to get hit by a hurricane. someone help please

Mantis
09-15-2003, 06:14 PM
I did not have to cut anything. Yes, it is tight and yes you will scratch up the pipe a bit.

I used a screw driver to pull out the plastic studs holding the splash covers together. When you put the wheel well splash back in place it bends a little but it will go.

Not much room for a CAI but it is doable.

dc1972
09-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I just put mine in about 3 weeks ago. It went pretty fast once I got everything figured out. I did have to cut a piece of the thick plastic but not much, maybe about a 2 inch by an inch piece. Hope you have better luck with. But once you finish and take a ride you'll be glad you got it.

BlackHatcher
09-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Basically,
I took the blade from a hacksaw and cut a detailed circle that fit the pipe perfectly. The blade went through the plastic like butter and flexed too giving me great control, made a nice cut. Everything will go back togeather perfectly if you do this. I tried to get the trim and wheel well back togeather without cutting it and it was a nightmare. Never went togeather perfectly. Dont be afraid to do a little cutting. You wont regret it!

-Joe

SiBoy
09-15-2003, 07:52 PM
If you dont cut a hole for the intake, it rub against the car and eventually make a hole in the intake. I instlaled my Injen one and good thing i saw it before it eventually made ahole. Not sure if itll do the same for the AEM.

VBSI
09-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Here is what you need, my friend.

http://www.deepstaged.net/aemcivicsi.htm

02NJHondaep3
09-15-2003, 08:38 PM
It brings a tear to my eye. Thank you.... Thank you all. I LOVE YOU EPHATCH!

redronin22
09-15-2003, 09:52 PM
wow if u dont cut a bigger hole out for the CAI it can make a hole in the intake? anyone else care to comment on this? if so can You help me reinstall it CHUCK of the Mighty SHOWSTOPPERS?

Mantis
09-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Hole Shmole,

I will hopefully have a turbo or supercharger by then. Plastic rubbing on metal will take a while

civic hatch boi
09-16-2003, 07:55 PM
should be an easy instgall.. i suck with cars but i did it.. dont even ahve to remove the bumper or anything. just remove the left front tire and the fenderwell,a nd u're good to go.

chubbychu
09-16-2003, 08:35 PM
willl the intake really get a hole in it?

i was so frustrated by the time i was done that i just gave up and stuffed it in the hole. I really dont wanna go through the pain of re installing everything. but shoud i?

it seems like there is a bit of room.

jandetuning
09-16-2003, 09:16 PM
No matter what I tried, my AEM always ended up rubbing on one of the fans. It nearly rubbed three small holes in itself in about 10 month's time.

phatfreeza
09-17-2003, 12:03 AM
i'm as bad as they get when it comes to car engines :'( but, with the help of 2 friends, we installed the aem in about... 5 hours? :o i know a lot of you out there are going :eek: but it's true! we took off the bumper cuz it makes things so much easier. i can see how you dont' have to, but it was nice to take it off anyway. it took some patience to fit the tube down there, but if i could do it, you can too! also, i cut the mudguard a little, like most members also did. once you get it in and rev it up a few times, you'll forget how long you took to actually put the darn thing in there! i'm a satisfied AEM CAI owner! :p

BlackSi613nin
09-17-2003, 05:06 AM
i installed myne in under an hour.. all you have to do is carefully push the piping up from underneth(start from the bottom, because it will be way to hard to try and get it from the top.)with the wheel off.. and the fender well lining off.. then u have to cut a small hole in both peices of the well.. i used a box cutter and it cut it really easily.

joHn

oogy-boogy
09-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
willl the intake really get a hole in it?

i was so frustrated by the time i was done that i just gave up and stuffed it in the hole. I really dont wanna go through the pain of re installing everything. but shoud i?

it seems like there is a bit of room.

Plainol, I think this is more of a problem to us Injen CAI owners. The Injen follows a different routing path. The Injen goes around the battery and then down into the fender as compared to the AEM going down and then over. the Injen actually squeezes into a small hole through the fender that is all metal. It's a really tight squeeze and can rub if not cut. After a while you can actually have it cut through the intake if you don't take some precautionary measures. i found that with the injen you can do 1 of 2 things:
1 - Cut per the instructions.
2 - Get an additional piece of the silicon connector (connects the intake to the throttle body), slide id down the tube to that metal area and then tighten it on with a hose clamp. I don't have any vibrating. My intake does not have any vibration wear lines on it.

chubbychu
09-17-2003, 04:08 PM
aww man i was hoping that wouldnt happen..oh well i guess ill just go buy some weather srtipping and put it around the hole..i dont wanna cut my car =o)

02NJHondaep3
09-21-2003, 09:28 AM
I got it in. Its amazing I love it. I hear such a louder grunt from my little black egg. I heard a backfire which sounded cool. I love mashing the throttle and shutting off the car. pssssshhhh. haha thanks guys.

66elwood99
09-22-2003, 01:13 PM
It took about one hour for a friend and me to get it done. I did not make any cuts, it seem to fit fine and I figured it was metal against plastic. Do I need to make cuts? I'm goning to have to check it now after all this rain gets out of town. :(
May as well, just get the supercharger and toss the CIA :D