PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo...no more bottoming!

GRMPer
09-04-2002, 10:57 AM
I rebuilt the suspension on our Project Si yet again...this time with shorter Koni inserts and revised damping rates.

The car corners much better now, no more bottoming mid-turn and less understeer as the car shoots past the apex of the turn.

The second installment of this project car series is in the November issue of Grassroots Motorsports (look for it on newsstands in a few weeks)

Per
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com

02blksi
09-04-2002, 01:12 PM
excellent read. BTW : when will ground control be releasing there *revised* 2002 si coilovers? i want to get these and i would like them with the firmer spring rates like you are using on your grassroots ep. let me know thanks -- good work! -joe, btw you have a private message-- :)

GRMPer
09-05-2002, 05:55 AM
You can tell the guys at GC what spring rates you'd like or what your intended purpose is and they'll hook you up. The basic coilover kit is the same, I just revised how it mounted on the strut and worked over the Koni a bit. (autocross-specific damping...mega rebound rates)

I tried PM'ing you...no dice:

Are you talking about the shot with Shad from Comptech? If so..that was when we were just replacing the filter element in the stock airbox.

Now that we've moved the battery to the trunk, I actually had room to use a slightly curved section of an old intake from a past project, cut it, and mount the filter where the battery was.

I also tried what you did...seemed to work ok, but I was in the mood to make it a little more "Home Depot"

Per

GRMPer
09-05-2002, 08:37 AM
I posted a pic of the new intake system.

Per
GRM

HondaMan
09-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Wish I had the money to do all that suspension work on my ride. :(

GRMPer
09-05-2002, 11:12 AM
It's actually a reasonable amount to spend on a suspension....think of it this way..I'm not putting a huge stereo in the car or other stuff that a lot of enthusiasts do...all the money is going to making it handle.

Per

HondaMan
09-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Probably true...no stereo upgrades here either but it's still some where in the $1000 plus range I bet for that coil over/Koni setup. Not in my budget. :(

GRMPer
09-05-2002, 11:30 AM
True, about 1200-1500, depending on how custom you're going with the shock valving. These were revalved at Koni for this specific application.

Now...What's kind of nuts is that this is on the low side of what people spend for prepping a competitive autocross car. Ever see Penske shocks? They're...ahem...pricey, and legal in stock class autocrossing.

Winning isn't cheap...but we're trying to do this on a reasonable budget.

Per

02blksi
09-08-2002, 08:29 AM
"Are you talking about the shot with Shad from Comptech? If so..that was when we were just replacing the filter element in the stock airbox.
Now that we've moved the battery to the trunk, I actually had room to use a slightly curved section of an old intake from a past project, cut it, and mount the filter where the battery was.
I also tried what you did...seemed to work ok, but I was in the mood to make it a little more "Home Depot".. "

Thanks for posting. I went to the link and clicked on project si but i still dont see the pic of the intake :confused: but then again thats prolly just me . Someone posted in another thread a pic of it so i have seen it, looks like a nice piece. Where is that tubing run to? OEM fog light location? Have you dynoed the car with this setup? Also you mentioned that you tried what i did, (are you talking about my homemade shortram?) by any chance did you do any dyno runs with my short ram setup on the stock tubing? Im curious because my ASS DYNO says its peppier but im wondering if in fact it is? Also what oil are you guys running? are you using oem 5w20 or another weight? -- thanks for answering all my questions, i trust what's written in your mag, so far reading GRM i can see that you guys are down to earth, and really know how limited a true tuners budget is at times ;) thanks, regards -joe