PDA

View Full Version : accident with other person lying

handurass2u
09-16-2003, 04:38 PM
I was going on a 3-lane road. I was in the right lane before the accident happened. I changed to the middle lane. After my car completely merged to the middle lane, a car on the left lane smashes into me. Hitting my rear left door. Then we both pulled over and called the police. Once the officer arrived, the officer first approached the other person for information, and then asked me about the accident. After hearing my side, the officer told me he is getting a different story from the other person. I am not sure what the other person told to the officer, but obviously, the person was lying because the only damage done on my car was the rear left door. The rear left fender of my car is perfectly fine, so if I was the one at fault my rear left fender should have hit him, but as you will see from my car, the rear left fender has no damage at all. In addition to my innocence, damage to the other car was his front right bumper, clearly showing he hit my rear left door. From the looks of the damages on both cars, it indicates that I was going straight in the middle lane and the other person was switching from the left lane to the middle lane without caution.

this is the story i planned to tell to my insurance company. what will happen to a sitsuation like this? any of you guys work for a insurance company? what else can i do to help my case? thanks in advance for any help.

JR03si
09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear that.
In a situation like this the other person's insurance company will also hear your side of the story. You will most likely give several recorded statements, over the phone, about the details of the accident. Eventually, a decision is made between your insurance company and the other person's insurance company as to who is at fault.
Be honest and very thorough when you present your case and don't get discouraged. From what you said about the accident it looks like the other guy is at fault. I hope everything works out. Good luck.

fishboy
09-16-2003, 05:30 PM
the insurance company will take all that into account. they deal with accidents all the time and are probably very good about making sense of the dents on boths cars.

my experience with a lying motorist happened when a lady ran a red light and plowed into me. she said i ran the red, of course.:rolleyes: she hit me in my rear left side. fucked up the bed of my car quite a bit. there were no tire marks on the ground indicating that she didn't even try to stop. i took that as showing that she wasn't paying attention. but it is really tough when it comes to red lights. her insurance company ended up paying for half my costs, meaning i had to pay half my deductable. they refunded me the other half. so i thought does that mean the other lady conceeded? i wanted to fight it more because i didn't want to be out of the 250, but it had been a few months and i just didn't want any of the hassle anymore. so if they can do that for me, i can only hope a better turnout for yourself.

handurass2u
09-16-2003, 07:49 PM
thanks for the support guys.

fishboy, after their insurance paid for half of ur deductable. did ur insurance go up?

IownAmaxima
09-17-2003, 04:56 AM
you need to be very consistent in your story, but don't be surprised if you're also found at fault initially. Keep at it and you might not have to pay.

from the sounds of it either the other person switched lanes into you or you cut off the other car... if the other driver claims you cut him off and he hit you, then slammed on the brakes to avoid more damage, there would only be damage to your door and not the rear fender. So you shouldn't think your logic will convince anyone. You need to keep exactly to the story you told the cops and after they or the insurance company asks you both the same questions 8 or 10 times, the other guy will change or forget a detail and then his story will be suspect.

and keep telling your insurance company "I'm not paying because he hit me!"

furious
09-17-2003, 05:33 AM
I have been in two major accidents in the last half year with two different civics, neither of which was the SI - THANK GOD!. BUT, here is some advice as I had not been at fault either times and were found not to be both times.

1) Act very calm and refer to the other driver as Mr or Ms and behave extremely well mannered.

2) Do NOT lose your patience with either agents and be addedly patient with the other driver's agent.

3) Do give details to the incident and do voice your opinions and logic, but don't be forceful - agents don't appreciate being told how to do their jobs.

4) Inform them that you are there to assist either of them in any further information necessary and send them off on the phone with a "Thank you and have a great day..."

I know they may seem obvious, but once you lose that temper....it will not be advantageous to you. Best of luck!!!

handurass2u
09-18-2003, 12:22 PM
thanks again for the supports guys. i found a witness working at jiffy lube right next where the accident took place. now the liar is gonna pay. :D

IownAmaxima
09-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by handurass2u
thanks again for the supports guys. i found a witness working at jiffy lube right next where the accident took place. now the liar is gonna pay. :D i LOVE this stuff... it's like when a guy hit my rear bumper and tried to say it was my fault but he failed to notice the there was a cop right behind him who was pulling over to be my witness.

PLEASE keep us posted on what you decide to do and what happens!