PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Vibration

HondaCivicSi
09-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I just got some new tires put on and it seems like me steering wheel is vibrating more than normal. I had the new tires balanced. When you guys are driving at like 70, does your wheel vibrate a little? I can't actually see it moving, but I can feel it. The whole car actually vibrates a little. I was just wondering if you guys have any vibration or its just me. If so, should i get an alignment, or should I have me wheels re-balanced? TIA

Speck
09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
I have the same stock tires, and maybe it's because they are wearing down, but I do feel a vibration, not a horrible one, but I do notice it. Have had it for about 5k now.

-=speck=-

chet
09-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Go back where you purchased your tires and tell those dudes to re-balance your shit man. If you don't feel it all the time, and you can "drive in" and "drive out" of the vibration, "it's gotta be the shoes man!!"

JSIR
09-18-2003, 07:22 PM
some shops are too cheap to carry all the different weights. Our stock rims cant accept the usual clip on weight on the outside surface. They require stick-on weights to be placed just inside the spokes and clip on weights can be used on the rear edge of the rim lip. The wheels need to be dynamically balanced. Some shops will just place clip-on weights on the backside of the rim and static balance it only. That wont work and will lead to vibrations. Chances are that is what happened. Only other thing is that a weight may have broken loose. Either way take it back.

bsams
09-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Here is most likely the problem: Just because a rim and tire assembly is balanced doesnt mean it wont vibrate. esspecailly at high speeds, you have to go to a shop that has a hunter balancer with road force capability. road force is how your tire reacts to speed and irregularities in the road. #1 no tire is perfectly round,#2 no rim is perfectly round. Ideally, you want to match the low spot on the rim with the high or heavy spot on the tire. there is alot more to it than that but that is the basic idea. this will cure your problem, unless you bought cheap tires and have an out-of-round tire to begin with. Hope this helps!:D

chubbychu
09-23-2003, 09:29 PM
the only time my steering wheel vibrates is when i go 60+ right after i turn the car on in the morning

HondaCivicSi
09-24-2003, 01:14 AM
I took it back to the place I got them balanced and they said one wheel was missing a wieght, but that it was only a couple ounces off. They put that one on and sent me on my way. It still vibrates. I can kinda notice it at slower speeds, but when im going 70 plus it become more pronounced. I can grab the wheel really tight and some will go away, but its still there. I have no idea what to do.

02TafWhtSi
09-24-2003, 03:47 PM
It may be your new tire choice. Grippier tires will send more vibrations through the wheel/chassis than softer/generic OEM tires will ;)

g33s0n6656
05-14-2004, 09:36 PM
I've got the same problem and i did go to the dealer they said one tire was 1/4 of an ounce off they added the wieght and yes i still have the problem its anywhere between 40-70 mph i feel it in the pedals a bit and the steering wheel lets keep this thread alive we gotta get this fixed please

BarracksSi
05-15-2004, 05:22 AM
My set of Rotas came with tires, mounted & balanced, and there's no more vibration coming from those than there was before (which was none already).

I'd vote for one of the tires being a bit out of round. Either that, or a manufacturing defect, like within the belts.

Black 02 SI
05-15-2004, 06:58 AM
i had the same problem. go get yur brakes checked. i replaced front rotors and pads, and bye bye vibration. and i only had about 30k on the car, and i dont brake hard. give it a try, see how that works.

sonic imperial
05-25-2004, 11:57 AM
mine has started vibrating recently too and coincidentally the rotors feel warped. could it be that the warped rotors are causing unequal weight ditribution as the tires spin making it vibrate/wobble some going down the road?