PDA

View Full Version : OK, getting CompuSTAR.... How's $905 sound?

natesi
09-04-2002, 07:59 PM
For $905 I'm getting the Spread Spectrum 1.25 mile range system. The install includes:
Basic installation 175
Light Flash 35
Trunk Pin 35
Hood Pin (incl w/ basic install)
Tilt sensor 45
Tilt sensor installation 35
Remote locks 50
Batt backup alarm 105
Key bypass 35

TOTAL $905

He said he needs a an actual working ignition key for the key bypass module (for remote start). I guess this makes sense. He said he can grind they key so it can't be used in the ignition, but is still able to send the signal to the brain of the Honda. Will the "valet" key work for this? I haven't figured out what the heck a "valet" key is. The owners manual says it works with everything... so what's special about it?

The only thing I fear is that it's hard to find CompuSTAR installers, if anything should go wrong with the alarm and/or I'm out of town. Should the car not start one day, is there anyway to totally bypass the alarm? Other than that, they only come with ONE remote, which runs something like $125 a piece!!! I hope it doesn't break and/or I don't lose it!

The Spread Spectrum remote is kinda largish, but I guess it will do.

I'll tell ya, there's a lot of shit to know about alarms. It's been a real learning experience for me.

Oh yea, the guy at the alarm shop said I don't need a seperate battery back up for the whole alarm because if they do the old "short out the headlight trick" the alarm is on a seperate circuit (and fuse). Is this correct?

I just want to make sure all my bases are covered... Anything else I should know?

Aside from this, I'll be using an Autolock at night and keep a Pete Rose baseball bat in my apartment for when the pager goes off...

OK, maybe not Pete Rose, but a baseball bat, or something to beat someone with if I catch them....

02blksi
09-04-2002, 08:16 PM
http://www.manifestation.org/~ill/images/funny/whut.jpg

$905 for an alarm system?? does it come with James Bond to? --damn. --joe

natesi
09-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi

$905 for an alarm system?? does it come with James Bond to? --damn. --joe

Dude; I need the best alarm possible. First, I live in a bad neighborhood. Second, an alarm is only as good as it's weakest point. If you skimp, might as well not get anything at all... that's my opinion...

Spidey
09-04-2002, 10:06 PM
I have just got a Compustar put in my '02. It's not too bad but I wish there was a vibrate feature, not to mention that whenever I shut off the car the remote sings a little tune. Not sure why but I think its too let you know that you can you use the car starter feature. The only features I added was the door locks, light flash and shock sensor.

Oh yeah..the valet key does work as you need to bypass the Honda Immobilizer.
I got mine for a steal at $650 Cdn. Most places wanted at least $800.

DJQuikFingaz
09-04-2002, 10:09 PM
$905 for an alarm system?? does it come with James Bond to?
BWHAHAHAHA. JEEZ, that's what I'm saying.

TezGari
09-04-2002, 11:27 PM
two words: Lo-Jack..I did, 600 buks life time warranty+instalation.

civic hatch boi
09-05-2002, 12:13 AM
word to the wise.. an alarm is not going to stop a thief.. the real thief are the people who sell compustar. i say spend that $900 and build urself a garage.

miamijdm
09-05-2002, 06:57 AM
im telling you guys... Autopage 750lcd is the same but better than the compustart... look it up... take care guys....

btw.. it has the vibrate feature..

Ritteri
09-05-2002, 11:04 AM
take it from someone who just "retired" from doing alarm and car audio installs. R-I-P-O-F-F . Better off with a good solid clifford or alpine alarm for half that installed. As the truth is an alarm will keep 99 percent of would be thieves(amateurs)at bay, but if you have a professional that steals cars for a living, nothing will keep him out from stealing your car. The professionals even know how to disable tracking features too.

natesi
09-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Have you guys ever had anything stolen out of your car and/or your car vandalized?

It happened to me once and it bothered me for a LONG time. I was sooo pissed I would actually get stomach aches just thinking about it and how much I'd like to beat the shit out of the loser, piece of shit, scum-bag who's such a fricken jerk off he has to steal other people's stuff and vandalize the car in the process.

I mean, if someone said to me, "look, I'm going to steal your stereo. You can either give it to me now, or I'll come by at night and smash out multiple windows and rip your dash apart..." I'd gladly just give him the stereo.

Since that's not how theives work, I live in a scummy neighbor hood, park 30 feet from one of the busiest roads in town, and I like to actually sleep at night (knowing I'll be notified if someone tries to jack the car--which BTW, I CANNOT hear from my apartment) to me it's worth my time if I have to spend more.

Besides, if someone bumps the door and puts a ding in it, I will be paged and if I get there in time can confront the person or write down their license plate number and haul their ass to court. Or maybe find out where they live and put a couple dents in their door, if you know what I mean.

CivicSiR
09-16-2002, 12:45 PM
Check this out... I'm thinkin' about getting a lo-jack sticker for my car and that's all. Haha. But seriously! No criminal is gunna TEST to see if it actually has it, I wouldn't think... but yeah. LoL.

gpt
09-16-2002, 03:02 PM
Just a little story I thought I would relay - I used to live in South Africa. In one 12 month period my car got broken into 6 times. The thief would crawl under the car, cut the wire from the battery and disable the alarm. My car was parked outside my window behind an electric fence when this happened.
I stoped installing new car radio's after this..... Just remember whatever alarm you install there will be a way around - it just acts as a deterrant and thats all.

Hope you all have better luck than me.....

natesi
09-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by CivicSiR
Check this out... I'm thinkin' about getting a lo-jack sticker for my car and that's all. Haha. But seriously! No criminal is gunna TEST to see if it actually has it, I wouldn't think... but yeah. LoL.

I WAS JUST thinking about the same thing the other night! Where can we get some of those?!?!

Seriously! I mean, what's he going to do, steal a car that says it's equipped with a lojack? If he can't find it soon enough (which he won't if there isn't one) he'll be sweating bullets, right? I think he'd move on to the next Civic Si for that much trouble. Plus, if you add an alarm (with paging) and an auto lock to the mix, he'd have to want your car pretty bad....

natesi
09-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by gpt
Just a little story I thought I would relay - I used to live in South Africa. In one 12 month period my car got broken into 6 times. The thief would crawl under the car, cut the wire from the battery and disable the alarm. My car was parked outside my window behind an electric fence when this happened.
I stoped installing new car radio's after this..... Just remember whatever alarm you install there will be a way around - it just acts as a deterrant and thats all.

Hope you all have better luck than me.....

I don't know how I'd do it (I'd think of something pretty creative), but I'd find that bastard one way or the other (hidden camera?)and either personally break all his arms and legs, or see to it that he was assfucked every day in jail, when they captured him.

Then again, he might like that, so I'd be more prone to go after arms and legs. People like that are so low, I don't even have words to describe it. It really angers me--seriously.

GhettoSamurai
09-17-2002, 01:22 AM
I have a near top end CLifford, the only thing that is diffrent from my model and the top model is some Infared viewing square in the window. Needless to say they still stole my Si, I got it back with Lo-Jack.

natesi
09-17-2002, 05:39 AM
If they stole my car I don't know if I'd *want* it back...

I mean, wouldn't it be all vandalized and ripped apart?

GhettoSamurai
09-19-2002, 12:54 AM
The thieves when they took my car slashed the seats. BAH!
Lame. . but other than that I think they just went and had a joy ride.

Steve02Si
09-24-2002, 08:26 PM
DEI (the company who owns Clifford, Viper, Python, Automate...) has a new device called the 555I that allows you to do remote start without putting a key in a hidden box. IF I were you, I'd do a DEI alarm. They're by far the best stuff in the industry. I guarantee your Compustar or whatever isn't FCC legal. Not that it matters much to you as a user, but if they get busted they'll be shut down and you can forget about getting your alarm serviced if you ever have a problem! I've seen way too many fly-by-nite security companies come along, then get sued by someone like DEI for patent enfringement, then go under. Stick with the best! The Clifford Solaris will do remote start on a manual trans and is reasonably priced.

natesi
09-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
DEI (the company who owns Clifford, Viper, Python, Automate...) has a new device called the 555I that allows you to do remote start without putting a key in a hidden box. IF I were you, I'd do a DEI alarm. They're by far the best stuff in the industry. I guarantee your Compustar or whatever isn't FCC legal. Not that it matters much to you as a user, but if they get busted they'll be shut down and you can forget about getting your alarm serviced if you ever have a problem! I've seen way too many fly-by-nite security companies come along, then get sued by someone like DEI for patent enfringement, then go under. Stick with the best! The Clifford Solaris will do remote start on a manual trans and is reasonably priced.

I don't really care about remote start, although I suppose I'll grow fond of it over time....

Mostly I want something with paging, but not the huge ass, lame looking thing available from DEI or what ever it is. All it does is buzz. I want to know what is going on with my car, because no one really pays attention to car alarms. So, I'd like to know when it's going off. See what I mean?

Audiovox has something kinda like that, but it looks like crap.

I still haven't gotten the Compustar in yet. It's been a matter of time, money, and inconvienence. I have to go to portland and get a rental for the day. So, that blows.

Plus, the thought crossed my mind, that I've never heard of compustar beforet this. I wonder if they will be in business in 10 years.....??

richardmulhern
09-24-2002, 10:33 PM
$60 for a click it club :) i dunno suits me fine :cool:

Steve02Si
09-26-2002, 08:57 PM
DEI has a nice new 2 way system with a remote that will page you when the alarm goes off. The remote has a cool LCD display that will show you which zone is tripped.

Club??? I seriously hope you're kidding. I don't care how strong your club or the lock on it is, your steering wheel is designed to bend in an accident, therefore it's very soft. That means you can cut through it with almost anything, bend it out of the way, and slip the club right off! total waste of money. I've heard of people who've had their cars stolen and found the club laying in the parking spot where they were parked!

natesi
09-26-2002, 09:45 PM
Do you have a model number for that?? Please.

I don't use the club, I use an autolock. YOu would have to saw the brake pedal.... a lot harder...