PDA

View Full Version : Paint Sealent

Rey
09-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey guys,

My dealership screwed me by losing my downpayment check and cashing a holding check I gave them while I came up with the real down payment.

Well, after clearing up my account being at -1005.78, They decided to give me something for my trouble.

They gave me a prepaid add/remove equipment voucher for my entire car to be "paint sealed"?

What is that? They said it's an 800 dollar procedure mainly for BIMMERS and Jags. Humm, this could be interesting. Here is a pic of my current ride, I guess I will post a pic in about 1.5 weeks of my new car, hehehe.

todaCspec
09-19-2003, 05:54 AM
It protects the paint from fading and blemishing(acid rain,tree sap, and etc). If it does fade or blemish, they will repaint your car at no charge. They have a two year and five year warranty.

Zero Three Si
09-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Screw that...tell them to tint your windows, give you fog lights, floor mats, and free life time oil changes, and whatever else you can think of.

Rey
09-19-2003, 09:00 AM
I'm not one to negotiate. But, I'm happy with this, but having my car tinted and some other stuff would be great too.

PRODIUS
09-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Paint sealant is WAX. That's it, that's all.
There is no such thing as "paint protection" aside from a few more coats of Clear Coat, and that's paint. Period.

Get your money back.
Good luck

AkronSi
09-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Listen to PRODIUS. If you want to put a "sealant" on your car. Go buy some Meg's #20 polymer sealant. It's probably what they use.

Get it here for $17. (http://properautocare.com/megsno20pols.html)

Either get your money back, or have them give you something else like the wing from the GFX kit or something else.

bloodzombie
09-23-2003, 01:01 PM
I got suckered into buying the "protection package" and it was the paint thing, fabric protection fo the seats, and an undercoating to reduce road noise and protect the underneat, and it cost $600.

$800 is a lie, but at least make them give you the rest of the package.

Rey
09-23-2003, 05:49 PM
For reals??

:( :( :(

I feel like an ass................

Would DIY paint sealent take a long time to apply?

icegrill
09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, There is no such thing as a "sealent" they will just put some klasse, or product of less quality on your car and spray your interior with a bottle of 3M fabric protectant. I love that my old civic had the "harsh weather package" on it, which mainly consisted of extra undercoating. You wonder if Honda Corp. even knows what some Honda dealers try and pull with customers?. :rolleyes:

I just don't see what a paint sealent would be? If it were a true sealent it would penetrate and permanently bond with the pigment and paint is already sealed by the clearcoat.

chubbychu
09-23-2003, 09:41 PM
yea...forget that! all their scotch guarding and stuff wont last longer than a year. lol. just get some DIY meguiars stuff. works miracles.

either get your money back or...ask them for an array of accessories that equal up to the amount they owe you

bobdobbs
09-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Could it be 3M Paint Protection Film?

AkronSi
09-24-2003, 06:34 AM
It doesn't matter if it's 3M, Meg's or Klasse or something else.....it won't last more than a year. period.

Instead of the $800 "value" of the protection package, get $800 worth of accessories. Have you already paid for floor mats, splash gaurds or anything else? You might want to get a bra to put on during long trips. That will protect your paint more than a sealant....as long as you keep it clean and don't leave it on your car.

Better yet, make them give you free oil changes for as long as you own your car or force them to pay for you to have a Clear Bra put on your car. Now, that would be worth $800.

If you don't know what a clear bra is, it's basically flexible clear coat that's stuck to your paint with adhesive. It's totally removable and will keep all the stone chips away. You can wax them and even polish them to a slight degree.

Check these out: Stoneguard (http://stoneguard.com/sgcontent/default.asp)

Xpel (http://www.xpel.com/)

Also, putting something like Klasse or the Meg's #20 wouldn't take you very long at all. It's really no different than waxing your car with any other wax.

todaCspec
09-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Well,

Could be B.S. but after a couple of years(less than 5 or whatever your warranty expires) if the paint/clear coat fades they will be responsible.

Same goes w/interior, you know when you get in and out of the seat and your sides rub against the seat(it'll fade, even put a hole in fabric) it'll be covered.

If it's free, why not?

Rey
09-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Well, all I got now is floor mats and sun visor.............

I am going to the dealer tomorrow. I will see what I can do.

I would be happy with tint and for them to fix the key scratches on my car some ass left.