PDA

View Full Version : Oil analysis results

chunky
09-19-2003, 05:38 AM
At the time of this oil change, I had 51,473 miles.

I use mobil 1 15w-50 with a bosch 3312 (b-series) filter changed every 3000 miles or as close to it as I can.

here's the links to the virgin sample & used sample.

http://www.darksci.net/~chunky/virgin_sample.png

http://www.darksci.net/~chunky/used_sample.png

all the wear metals are really low, basically the results of this oil change & my compression test verify to me that my engine is in great shape at 51k+ miles. :)

JSIR
09-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Chunky , all looks really good, nice low wear numbers. That's a pretty thick motor oil but it seems to be working well.

I've got about 5 used oil analyses to date, my best wear numbers have been achieved with Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (german made fully and "real" synthetic oil version) which has a viscosity on the thicker end of the spectrum for a 30 weight (almost a 40 weight). My readings were about the same as yours. So I think thicker oils do help, especially on that lead count, the oil cushions the bearings (where the lead readings stem from). I'm just sending in my Mobil1 5w-30 sample today to see how it compares to my german made Castrol 0w-30.

If you want to run a thinner oil than your 15w-50 I'd recommend the Castrol 0w-30 german made version if you can find it in your area, its still a thicker viscosity oil but may give you some mileage benefits and it pours down to -81 degrees in winter.

intelli
09-19-2003, 11:59 AM
How or where do you get the oil analyzed?
Any recomendations on when to get it done?

chunky
09-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
Chunky , all looks really good, nice low wear numbers. That's a pretty thick motor oil but it seems to be working well.

I've got about 5 used oil analyses to date, my best wear numbers have been achieved with Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (german made fully and "real" synthetic oil version) which has a viscosity on the thicker end of the spectrum for a 30 weight (almost a 40 weight). My readings were about the same as yours. So I think thicker oils do help, especially on that lead count, the oil cushions the bearings (where the lead readings stem from). I'm just sending in my Mobil1 5w-30 sample today to see how it compares to my german made Castrol 0w-30.

If you want to run a thinner oil than your 15w-50 I'd recommend the Castrol 0w-30 german made version if you can find it in your area, its still a thicker viscosity oil but may give you some mileage benefits and it pours down to -81 degrees in winter.

I live in GA man. startup wear is not an issue for me, thermal breakdown of oil is a more reasonable concern. we only hvae 3 1/2 seasons here, spring, summer, fall, and 1/2 winter. :D

The thicker oil coats parts better. There is probably a small mileage hit, but I still get 30+ mpg on the highway, so i'm not complaining at all.

all the mobil 1 oils give great results according to the guys at bobistheoilguy.com, even with modest moly counts compared to more expensive oils.

if i go with a new oil, it would be the mobil 1 0-40 oil, but i'm pretty happy with the 15-50 so I see no need to change.

JSIR
09-19-2003, 01:22 PM
yeah I didnt see GA location, for some reason I thought you were in the northeast.

I'm impressed with the new mobil1 supersyn formula, anxious to see how my 5w-30 sample works out.

Actually I would prefer Mobil1's 0w-40 oil over the 15w-50 , I think it's better suited to our engine and its a more modern oil formula which still meets the toughest euro standards. I'm willing to bet it would work as good as the 50 weight if not better.

DynaSpeed
09-19-2003, 01:48 PM
How or where do you get the oil analyzed?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ Is where I get mine done. They send you a free sample jar, you put your oil in the jar, and send it back to them with payment, then they email and send hardcopys of your test results back to you.

When you should get it done is up to you. Every oil is different, and every oil additive package will yield different mileage intervals - just get the TBN.