PDA

View Full Version : Lovin' my EP! 1000 mile thoughts...

droideka
09-19-2003, 07:10 PM
actually, 1010 miles. After three weeks of ownership today, I still LOVE this little car. I'm using it exactly as I intended, as a daily driver and I can't quit gushing about it. Once I managed a proper seating position I found it to be quite comfortable and put that comfort level to the test twice this week in two-hour stints of bumper-to-bumper traffic. The feather-light clutch and smooth shifter are an absolute pleasure in heavy traffic and after two hours plus in the car I felt no fatigue whatsoever.

The engine sound is intoxicating. Wish it had more power although it's more than adequate for tooling around in city traffic. It may be slow compared to most sport compacts, but it does have enough go to make short work of jackjaw frat boys in their Tahoes like the fuckwit I embarrassed on the way home last night. I've averaged 25-27 mpg in city-only driving and I do have a heavy right foot. I checked the oil tonight because of reports I've read of burning oil during the first few thousand miles and it doesn't appear I'm suffering from that. The oil is only 1/8" off the high mark. I didn't really break-in the car either, only allowing for proper coolant and oil warm-up before hammering the throttle.

In closing, I'd like to thank the fine members of this forum for creating such a superlative knowledge base. I'm continually impressed by the sheer volume of smarts here in contrast to other sport compact sites where the bling of cross-drilled rotors are more important considerations than the C of F of brake pad compounds. Perhaps that is part of the EP ownership experience, to be a breed apart from the rest of the APC loving world of sport compacts.

IceD out N CALI
09-19-2003, 07:15 PM
nice thoughts-another happy customer:)

ep pilot
09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
I am happy to hear you are enjoying your new Ep3. I still love mine very much, even after a year behind the wheel. I am getting ready to switch roles with you my friend. Being I'm looking to buy an '04 RX-8 or an '04 350Z for a fun car, and keep my Ep3 for my daily driver exclusively. First off I wanted to add that my feelings about my Ep3 are mutual. It's no contest against the likes of an SRT-4 , Evo Lancer or any WRX save for a few other compacts. Yet if this car isn't your weekend warrior, it is a riot as a daily driver. Very spirited performance from an N/A inline four. A plentiful torque curve below 4K and inspiring power above that, make this car a hoot to jettison in & out of traffic and around slow moving vehicles.

Seriously, in a very comical way (oxymoron) I make childs play out of every opportunity behind the wheel of my Ep3. It's like playing pole-position all over again, as the most direct communication between driver and the Ep3 are translated at the steering wheel and drive-train. The car is somewhat sloppy in tight apex situations, yet defines the cars character, also it causes you to become more refined with your driving habits in essence.

As far as breaking in and oil consumption, I noted when my car was new, the oil appeared to be down to the 1/8 mark from the top hole on the dipstick, at approx 1100-1500 miles. I found it dropped drastically after putting more miles on the car. I felt around 5K I was going through an oil consumption problem, I watched it closely for the next 5K. At around 10K the car appeared to be not consuming much oil, and in fact I've got 19K on the car now, had my last oil change at 15K and it hasn't consumed an ounce of oil since then.

Also the shifting problems you have heard about. I developed around 900-3K the problem had progressed on past 8K miles. by 12K my shifter has been shifting like a jewel ever since.

I am mostly happy with how well this car takes abuse. I spend 74% of my commute between 5 & 6K on the tach. I am not the easiest on my brakes, but I balance pressure whenever possible. I use cheap gas & oil in my car, but It idles beautifully and runs great. At 19K and three auto-X events, one track day & driving school and my beating on the car in rush hour, still has the brakes, clutch and engine feeling as tight as a drum (no mushiness) and running top notch. I have ran cars into the ground not nearly as hard as I've driven my Ep3, and this is the first car that has yet to show any signs of wear & tear in almost 20,000 miles!!! save for my tires.

-Ryan

droideka
09-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ep pilot
I am mostly happy with how well this car takes abuse. I spend 74% of my commute between 5 & 6K on the tach. I am not the easiest on my brakes, but I balance pressure whenever possible. I use cheap gas & oil in my car, but It idles beautifully and runs great. At 19K and three auto-X events, one track day & driving school and my beating on the car in rush hour, still has the brakes, clutch and engine feeling as tight as a drum (no mushiness) and running top notch. I have ran cars into the ground not nearly as hard as I've driven my Ep3, and this is the first car that has yet to show any signs of wear & tear in almost 20,000 miles!!! save for my tires.

-Ryan

Are you telling me you ran a track day on stock brakes? Even stock pads and fluid? What was the length and layout of the track, long straights to cool the brakes?

I am going to break down and get new wheels and rubber, but will wait until next spring since winter's right around the corner. The 195 all-seasons are detrimental to any kind of spririted driving. I can see why the auto rags pick on our car.

IceD out N CALI
09-19-2003, 09:03 PM
The 195 all-seasons are detrimental to any kind of spririted driving.

true true

Brettnyt
09-19-2003, 10:43 PM
Nice ride list dude! U have got quite the cars... 350Z, Si, and Accord... impressive... Glad you like the EP!

513n179
09-20-2003, 01:35 AM
dang, you put a G on ur car in 3 weeks? u must drive a lot...

TrippZ
09-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 513n179
dang, you put a G on ur car in 3 weeks? u must drive a lot...

thats exactly what i tohught

im glad you like the car. it also puts me to ease to know that i'm not the only one that didnt follow the exact rules for breaking in the car.

now all i need is that F***ING DROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

02TafWhtSi
09-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ep pilot
Yet if this car isn't your weekend warrior, it is a riot as a daily driver. Very spirited performance from an N/A inline four. A plentiful torque curve below 4K and inspiring power above that, make this car a hoot to jettison in & out of traffic and around slow moving vehicles.

VERY well said - my feelings exactly :)

NBP_03Si
09-21-2003, 09:07 AM
i'm happy to see another ep owner happy with their car ;), like me, my car has 7500 miles and runs perfect only with an AEM CAI and 20% tint all-around. good luck with the new Si :D :D :cool: