PDA

View Full Version : newest noises thread

humanshield
09-20-2003, 09:29 AM
okay. i've searched everywhere and i cannot seem to find an answer to my problem(s) yet. so let me explain.

NOISE #1
i just installed the progress springs and sway bars this past week. the first noise i noticed is something i'm hearing alot of people are having. when i go over a speed bump or a series of bumps in the road, it sounds like the spring is sitting loose in the suspension assembly. so it sounds like when the wheel is the furthest from the car and comes back it clanks. it seems grease is the fix for this, but if i'm wrong let me know.

NOISE #2
when i turn my wheel all the way to the left (from all the way right), i hear a series of clicking noises. this concerns me. not only can you hear them, but you can feel them ever so slightly in the wheel.

NOISE #3
this is the biggest problem for me. when i turn the wheel to the right (from all the way left), i hear the same series of clicks i did before...but when i reach the end it clanks. this only does it when it's all the way right. not left. just right. it almost seems like it goes to the end of the power steering, then goes a little further, and clanks against something.

i haven't really checked into these too much yet, i'm just waiting for a day off. when i get that day off though, i wan to have an arsenal of things to check.

thanks in advance. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

thanks-
Dan
Las Vegas

rs_1101
09-20-2003, 04:02 PM
your first problem:
progress springs.

humanshield
09-20-2003, 07:44 PM
why are the progress springs a problem?

i'm looking for some serious responses. so if someone can give me some ideas, or some solid answers, backed up by personal know how...that'd be great.

i'm sure someone has some ideas. if the progress springs are such a problem, let me know why. don't just say they are the problem. they wouldn't let a whole line of springs go on to the market if they were a problem (ie. noises). without a recall anyway.

anyone?

Dunrick
09-21-2003, 08:22 AM
I've never heard springs cause this problem. Sounds like your electric steering has a problem. Take it to honda, imo.

BlackSi613nin
09-21-2003, 02:17 PM
did you install this yourself? i hat that same problem on my old 01 civic coupe.. i installed sleevedcoilovers myself and when i reassebled the top of the assemble i messed up, and it would click/bang, as i turned the wheel. you might have reassembled it wrong or you might need more greese on the pivot point at the top of the strut

joHn

scwafish
09-21-2003, 05:10 PM
As a lurking newbie I wonder if anyone ever read this board before posting. This topic has been covered about a million times.

Your bearing that lets the coil rotate isnt re-assembled correctly or your coil isnt installed right or you need to lube the coil. There is also a post about making little washers out of plastic so the beairing spins intead of the coil.

humanshield
09-21-2003, 06:26 PM
thanks so far for the responses.

i've got tomorrow off. so i'm gonna pull those bastards down and re-grease them and triple check everything one more time. it can't hurt. i just wanted some imput.

as for searching for similar posts. i did that. i found nothing that led me to believe the problem i was having was the same or related to the same problems others were having...thus the new thread. why must we be so sensitive about similar threads?

thanks again.

jose
09-21-2003, 06:42 PM
i had the same problem . i got ground control coil-overs when i first put them on when i turned the springs made noise. it's because the spring turns on the strut. put some grease on thetop and bottom of the spring and it will go away.

humanshield
09-21-2003, 09:26 PM
thanks for the response. the clanking noise i was guessing had to do with grease. the steering thing is my biggest concern. i'm not sure why it does that. any info anyone?

02SilverSiHB
09-22-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by rs_1101
your first problem:
progress springs. :rolleyes:

rs_1101
09-22-2003, 10:56 AM
sorry. i didnt mean to be a arsehole there. im very skeptical of neuspeed and progress springs cuz while they offer a dramatic drop for show, they have a lower springrate than the stock springs do, which is absolutely terrible for any kind of driving, but alot of people dont have a problem with this. and i guess it wouldnt be too bad so long as u stay away from potholes!
i apologize again, i didnt mean to leave u hangin

boston's ep3
09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
did you make sure that you aligned the arrows at the top of the shock itself with the firewall and the outside fender. I believe if you did not do that the shock itself tends to move witch will cause the knocking noise

humanshield
09-22-2003, 01:24 PM
i haven't gone outside and started moving shit yet. i will soon. i think i've got the answer for the springs knocking, but still no idea why the steering would do what it's been doing.

maybe a bad power steering pump? any ideas?

rs_1101
09-22-2003, 01:37 PM
there is no steering pump. the ep has electrically controlled steering.. crazy huh? it could be tie rods. that seems to be the answer to everything these days