PDA

View Full Version : EP3 Winter prep

ATRIOT
09-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Any thoughts on rustproofing? Who has the best method? Drill holes or not? I've heard bad things about Ziebart, how do you guys feel about Krown and Rust Check?

civicSIracer
09-20-2003, 02:38 PM
i love southern california.. must suck for you east coasters

ATRIOT
09-20-2003, 02:45 PM
East Coast? Nah i'm in Canada, In Toronto they dump a fucking unbelievable amount of salt on the roads, getting stuck behind a salt truck isnt fun either...

civicSIracer
09-20-2003, 02:48 PM
haha damn.. i love Toronto. i cant say that i have ever been there in the winter but i go there every summer to visit family. i had the greatest luck this year to go there the week of that stupid blackout shit!! that was horrible

Civicvtec1ps
09-20-2003, 04:12 PM
i just wash my car underneath during winter. its bitch but you have to go through it. im lowering my car before winter haha

Type X
09-20-2003, 04:32 PM
i just wash the car alot during winter :)

i am about to winterize the car

Put on USDM bumpers and "winter rims" amongst other things soon

and than start the rebuild for 04:angel:

Civicvtec1ps
09-20-2003, 05:00 PM
weather is still good nowdays. im going to wait until like around mid november to put my stock rims back on

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
East Coast? Nah i'm in Canada, In Toronto they dump a fucking unbelievable amount of salt on the roads, getting stuck behind a salt truck isnt fun either...

damn they still use salt?
they just use sand here, much better on the car than salt.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-20-2003, 05:24 PM
I dunno about rustproofing....

I'll be cleaning out the garage for winter and storing my baby.
I'll let wifey's leased CR-V take all the winter mess.

ATRIOT
09-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Salt does the trick alot better than sand, but it'll kill your car :'( Nearly every 10 year old honda around here has the dreaded honda rot above the wheel wells cause of the salt.

Civicvtec1ps
09-20-2003, 05:49 PM
we get salt during winter. sucks
sand? i never even heard of that :eek:

Mad02Si
09-20-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
we get salt during winter. sucks
sand? i never even heard of that :eek: We usually get a mix down here, sand doesn't melt ice last time I check it's used for grip I beleive after the salt melt the ice. Correct me if i'm wrong.

blackyEP3
09-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Still thinking of getting winter tires or to just use our stock tires for the winter and pick up a decent set of summer tires in the spring when my wallet has more $$.

Ideally, I'd get a set of nice 15" winter tires, then during the winter, I find an awsome deal on a set of rims and I do that.

As for rush proof, I didn't get any on my EK when I got it new back in 98 and the bottom still looks pretty fresh. (I've got 155000++ kms on that car) For most part, I don't plan to keep my car for 10+ years anyways so I'll let someone else worry about the rust. :)

Jaws Of Death
09-20-2003, 06:52 PM
winter prep for us in south Texas involves opening the windows and sunroof.:D

blackyEP3
09-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Jaws Of Death

Die you lucky bastard!!! :p

siver-SI
09-20-2003, 08:21 PM
I just take my car to a car wash every weekend if I can. I go to one of the places that dry your car for you the full service ones. That way I do not have to freeze my butt off trying to keep my car clean.

Civicvtec1ps
09-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I just take my car to a car wash every weekend if I can. I go to one of the places that dry your car for you the full service ones. That way I do not have to freeze my butt off trying to keep my car clean.
i wish we had one of those places to dry cars around my area . getts freaking cold even in my garage.

sintax02si
09-20-2003, 11:47 PM
im getting a bit off subject, but i noticed last winter that my car handled beautifully in the snow. i made a few treks from ri to vermont to go riding last winter...one of them was in in 2 feet of snow I and made it no problem whatsoever. ..i was really suprised at how well the EP handled in those conditions. i got quite a few looks from other drivers like.."lok at this little honda in all this snow...damn."

i love my EP.

siver-SI
09-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps

i wish we had one of those places to dry cars around my area . getts freaking cold even in my garage.

Look around I would think there has to be at least one or two in your area. I live out in the country and I have 3 out by me. One in fox lake, one in McHenry, and one in Crystal lake. Every wash I get has a under carrage wash with it.

If I do get a nice day abouve 32 in winter I will take my car to one of the power wash places and I will go late or early when no one is there and I will then take one of my shop jacks and lift up my car one corner at a time and just pressure wash the crap out the the bottom of the car. I have spent just $2.00 on cleaning the under carrage witch is about 10 min.

Loudpedal
09-21-2003, 08:13 AM
My winter prep. consists of the following:
1) install bra on car (last year I had the clear 3M film applied to the EP, works as well and does not look like shit)
2) install a set of grippy snow tires (I'll be on Michelin Arctic Alpins, but I reccomend Nokian Hakkapelittas for the deep stuff)
3) Get the car Rust Checked (or Krown which is better). Sure this stuff gets grimy and drips, but who cares, you'll be rust free.

I've heard that the Ziebart style undercoating actually traps moisture and salt and actually gives rust a nice home, whereas oil sprays don't.

My .02

JLannoo
09-21-2003, 08:43 AM
We get alot of salt thrown on the roads here in Michigan. I understand why they use it,Sand would not do half the job salt does.

I just hate the way it encourages rust :( Thats one of the reasons I think I'm going to keep getting a new car every 3 years. I just wont have to worry about it that much. My del Sol is ten years old and has the lovely rear wheel well rust :(

You know,last winter I had two paintchips start rusting bright orange already on the EP. I had to scape it down shiny and touch it up. At that time the car was only like 5-6 months old :(

SiR Medic
09-21-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm gonna get a set of cheap winter tires put on the Stock rims. I'll probably get the Rust Check without the hole drilling.

02TafWhtSi
09-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by blackyEP3

Die you lucky bastard!!! :p

:D I'll help you!

dj addicted
09-21-2003, 11:59 AM
makes me love florida more and more!!!!

VBSI
09-21-2003, 01:35 PM
I am storing mine as well. Too many dumb bastards on the road during winter that don't understand the concept of ice and safe braking distances.

potator
09-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Jaws Of Death

:DLOL, I feel ya bro. It's the same deal here in Southern Cali... Gotta love the winters. But that doesn't mean I don't care for the rest of our EP brothers in the Eastcoast! Take care of your cars guys!

graham
09-21-2003, 06:30 PM
I'll be:

- putting on a set of 14" steelies wrapped with Nordic Ice Track tires (the ones from Canadian Tire). I used these on my last car and loved them ... good price too.
- installing my stock air box & filter. I'd rather not get my AEM filter clogged with salt & grime
- visiting Krown for my yearly spraying :)
- installing roof racks ... for skiis!