PDA

View Full Version : What parts do I need for a k20a2 swap?

trabadoo22
09-20-2003, 10:36 PM
I know this is sort of a stupid question, but my engine knowledge is just about zero so if anyone could let me know what I need besides the engine, transmission and ecu I would appreciate it. Reason for asking is I've seen some type s swaps on ebay and they say they come with axles, shift linkage, and other stuff I can't remember. I don't know if I need this stuff or not. Also where is a good place to buy one besides ebay and other forums? I used to see these engines listed at hybridgarage.com, but they don't seem to be listed there anymore. Thanks.

TheMutt
09-21-2003, 02:03 PM
:o He he, sorry I can't add much. I'm waiting too for someone who isn't clueless like me to reply.

Yeah you can reply now. ::whistle whistle::

andy
09-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Your best bet (while waiting for bioevolve or port to answer) is
to just go look up their old posts. Search on their usernames - I
believe both have gone through the A2 swap. There is probably
some good discussion on this on both honda-tech and k-series.com
as well.

TheMutt
09-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Also, if you don't mind me throwin this in your thread :p, are the K20A and K20A2 pretty much the same as far as what's required and how easy it goes in?

bioevolve
09-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Engine, Tranny, ECU, Wireharness is about it on the A2 swap. Everything else on A3 is reused. If you are doing it yourself like me, you need some appliance carts, jack, jack stands, engine hoist, tools (metric, 3/8 and 1/2 drive ratchets), a breaker bar, and some down time.:D

here are some links to my swap, Look in that order.

#1 (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12491)
#2 (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12535)
#3 (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12564)

2k2civicSi
09-21-2003, 06:32 PM
you can use a si cai on a swap right bioevolve

bioevolve
09-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Yes you can, also the Si's AFTERMARKET header, tranny (if you dont want 6spd), fuel rail, hondata IM gasket, ES motor mount inserts, j's racing damper, etc...

bioevolve
09-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by TheMutt
Also, if you don't mind me throwin this in your thread :p, are the K20A and K20A2 pretty much the same as far as what's required and how easy it goes in?

JDM ITR K20A
CR 11.5:1, LSD, Lighter Flywheel, 220hp, 160ish tq, better cams, True 4-2-1 header design, better geared 6spd tranny, etc..

USDM RSX Type-S K20A2
CR 11.0:1, 200hp, 140ish tq

Those would be the biggest differences.
You will have trouble with JDM exhaust fitting correctly to EP's system and swaybar prob, Port had to spend an extra $800ish for the 2-1 down pipe and some other issues like: no cruise control on TB, ECU hack (that works on JDM ECU's only).
That is about it, unless Port can add some other issues he ran into, but he hasn't been on lately.

S800Racer
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bioevolve
[B]Engine, Tranny, ECU, Wireharness is about it on the A2 swap. Everything else on A3 is reused. If you are doing it yourself like me, you need some appliance carts, jack, jack stands, engine hoist, tools (metric, 3/8 and 1/2 drive ratchets), a breaker bar, and some down time.:D

here are some links to my swap, Look in that order.

The pics are great. I'll be doing the same swap soon - in my garage with a hoist. I'm going to pick up some appliance carts now that I see your pics (Home Depot?, Lowe's?) I already have the A2 but plan to keep my 5-speed rather than use the 6 speed. That should make things a bit easier.
How important is it to have the shop manuals? Do you think someone could wing it without the manuals or is there critical info in them?

bioevolve
09-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Appliance carts, I bought those at Harbor Freight, but Lowes or Home Depot should have similar ones. If not just buy some 2x4's and 4 heavy duty casters and make them yourself.
Change the tranny while both enginges are out of the car, makes it alot easier lol.
You should be able to wing it, you really can't plug the wrong wire harness ends into a wrong sensors lol. If you have any probs, just let me know and I'll answer your questions.

trabadoo22
09-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Sweet. Thanks for all the info. Nice pics too. Bioevolve, in the reply to the pm I sent you and in this thread you said I only need the engine, (tranny if I want a 6 speed), ecu and ecu harness, but I've seen swaps that come with the type s axles. Could these be used on the si and would there be any advantages by using them?

bioevolve
09-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
Sweet. Thanks for all the info. Nice pics too. Bioevolve, in the reply to the pm I sent you and in this thread you said I only need the engine, (tranny if I want a 6 speed), ecu and ecu harness, but I've seen swaps that come with the type s axles. Could these be used on the si and would there be any advantages by using them?

You can only use the Type-S axles only if you are converting to 5 lug knuckle/spindle. Type-S axles are different on the outer splines that ONLY fit the RSX knuckle/spindle. But they both have the same inner splines, so just use the Si's Axle's. If you are going to use Type-s axles you will need the RSX knuckle/spindles. That is the only difference, there is no performance or strength differences between the alxes.

trabadoo22
09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Oh ok. I'll just stick with the si's axles then. No need for the extra hassle of installation.

S800Racer
09-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bioevolve
Appliance carts, I bought those at Harbor Freight, but Lowes or Home Depot should have similar ones. If not just buy some 2x4's and 4 heavy duty casters and make them yourself.
You should be able to wing it, you really can't plug the wrong wire harness ends into a wrong sensors lol. If you have any probs, just let me know and I'll answer your questions.

Honda has always been pretty good about designing things so that you can't put them on backwards or upside down or plugged into the wrong end. I appreciate the advice & support. When I get around to doing my swap, I'll probably be asking for your phone # in case I run into a problem.

bioevolve
09-23-2003, 03:35 PM
lol ok, maybe I should open up a 900 number for tech support and charge $2.99 a minute hehehe.:p