PDA

View Full Version : Help! Shifter popping out of first gear

sonic imperial
09-22-2003, 06:34 AM
For some reason, just over recent weeks, when I shift from first->second in feels like I never had it in first all the way. You press the clutch and pull down towards second and it "pops" out real fast, so fast it's like putting it into neutral and makes going into 2nd much more difficult because it messes up your motion. Why would it pop out like that? I've tried alot of things, and seems like the only way not to have this problem is to put it into first a couple times while at a stop, and even then it's not a guarantee. At least it doesn't pop out while driving, it's always when I go to shift it feels like the shifter was never all the way in gear.

Brettnyt
09-22-2003, 06:42 AM
It has happened to me a couple times before, just make sure you put it into first while going veeeeery slowly, or else it wont allow you to go all the way into first....

sonic imperial
09-22-2003, 07:04 AM
I see. I'll see if I can try that. I have made it a point to practice that every once in a while but even when going extremely slow I'll experience a nasty clunk pushing into first. I usually have to be at a dead stop.

BarracksSi
09-22-2003, 07:15 AM
I just don't think that first gear is intended to be used except from a dead stop. 2nd is low enough to start from a crawl if necessary.

In 13 years of owning Civics, I've never shifted into 1st except when I'm stopped, and I've never had problems like you describe.

sonic imperial
09-22-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
I just don't think that first gear is intended to be used except from a dead stop. 2nd is low enough to start from a crawl if necessary.

In 13 years of owning Civics, I've never shifted into 1st except when I'm stopped, and I've never had problems like you describe.

I've owned civics for 11 years and this is the first time I've had this problem. That's why it concerns me.

BarracksSi
09-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Hmm, ya got me, then.

I've never shifted into 1st while moving just because I didn't feel it was necessary. Heck, I'll sit at a light with the transmission out of gear and the clutch engaged, then put it back in gear when the light gets ready to change. No reason for me to be standing against the pedals with both feet. ;)

KickerSi
09-22-2003, 02:52 PM
I have the "poping" effect too. I love the way it pops out and almost into second just by hitting the clutch, expecially (sp) when I'm racing. I've notice the poping from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. I thought that it was perfectly normal for our cars. I just thougth it was part of the cable system. And oh yeah, you should be able to put it in 1st at about 18 MPH.

sonic imperial
09-23-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by KickerSi
And oh yeah, you should be able to put it in 1st at about 18 MPH.

:eek:

tony speed
10-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Mine started doing this the other day too. I think it's just that it's not going all the way in for some reason. If I'm very careful putting it into 1st, it does not happen.

My personal feeling on this is that I bent something on the shifter that's making it a little bit more difficult to go directly into gear. But then again, I am kinda pessimistic.

BlairSpeed
10-06-2003, 01:20 PM
how many miles are on your car? did it just start doing it after a good amount of miles?

tony speed
10-06-2003, 02:12 PM

turbocro
10-06-2003, 05:29 PM
hrm, try a shift linkage adjustment

fkagti
10-06-2003, 05:43 PM
shit happens to me too. i just live wit it.

blueiedgod
10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by KickerSi
I just thougth it was part of the cable system. And oh yeah, you should be able to put it in 1st at about 18 MPH.

I think our linkages are solid, not cables. And to shift into 1st at 18 mph, I would strongly suggest you give it a little gas.

Our 1st gear is a perfect creeper/crawler gear. I can match semi's speed without clutching. It is just perfect for 5 mph traffic crawl.