PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

RockEP_SS**
09-22-2003, 12:57 PM
YO fellow EP-hatchers! I'm goin to change my front and rear speakers, and I was wondering how bigga speakers I can get. Also what kind of speakers and amp would be best- pricewise and quality? I know I can do a search, but I'd rather see some opinions on this post:p . Thanks in advance!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

Lucid Moments
09-22-2003, 02:44 PM
6 1/2's are what fit in the stock holes. I have Infinity 6 1/2's all the way around in mine, plus the Infinity Basslink and I think it sounds good. There are much better setups out there, but my ear isn't good enough to tell the difference in quality.

TrafficJamsEp
09-22-2003, 03:23 PM
6.5" is about the largest size you can fit unless you customize. I recomend you to look into the JL Audio, Phoenix Gold, Pioneer or Alpine. They all carry speakers and amps.

ep3guy
09-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Since you're a big baller, this will be some good stuff for ya:

Speakers: MB quart's Q series are pretty good, a lot better than the alpines etc.

Subs: Image Dyamic IDMAX or the Adire Brahma's seem good.

Amps: JL is OK, Phoenix Gold amps are cool. Many many different types of amps to get.

If you wanna search a little, go over to www.sounddomain.com

RockEP_SS**
09-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Cool! Thanks fellas!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

jaydub
09-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ep3guy
Since you're a big baller, this will be some good stuff for ya:

Speakers: MB quart's Q series are pretty good, a lot better than the alpines etc.

Subs: Image Dyamic IDMAX or the Adire Brahma's seem good.

Amps: JL is OK, Phoenix Gold amps are cool. Many many different types of amps to get.

If you wanna search a little, go over to www.sounddomain.com
Actually I'd avoid Sounddomain's forums like the plague. That's like the ClubSi of car audio sites. If you're really curious, check out www.elitecaraudio.com or www.carsound.com . Those two places have a lot of good contributing members, people who compete, even some people from the companies post their two cents.

I think a better question would be what your budget is, because that'll influence the decisions a lot. :)

ep3guy
09-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jaydub

Actually I'd avoid Sounddomain's forums like the plague. That's like the ClubSi of car audio sites. If you're really curious, check out www.elitecaraudio.com or www.carsound.com . Those two places have a lot of good contributing members, people who compete, even some people from the companies post their two cents.

I think a better question would be what your budget is, because that'll influence the decisions a lot. :)

There we go, I couldn't figure out the other sites. I didn't really like sounddomain that much, but it was the best I could do with my bad memory. I'm not into car audio anymore thats why. :angel:

davidc81
09-23-2003, 07:30 PM
in my front doors, im runnig a pair of focal polykelvar 136k2 components. the tweeter (1") almost dropped right into the stock location, it just needed some filing. the stock midbass location is a little small for a 6 1/2" speaker, but the 5 1/4" woofer i had fit perfectly. if you want to go with a bigger woofer, you may need to do some cutting. i have a pair of nakamichi 6 1/2" coaxial in the stock rear location. they fit perfectly. i have a 12" idmax subwoofer in the hatch. the sub is running off of a phoenix gold zx600ti and the interior speakers off of a phoenix gold zx475ti. connected to the idmax and zx600ti is a pheonix gold basscube ti, which is a one band parametric EQ (my favorite piece of the system!). the focals sound amazing and the idmax plays very deep and very loud! :D hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions. :cool:

RockEP_SS**
09-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Sounds nice! Thanks David! I just wanted to replace my speakers. You think the sound is gonna be way better than stock? Of course, right?

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

jaydub
09-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
Sounds nice! Thanks David! I just wanted to replace my speakers. You think the sound is gonna be way better than stock? Of course, right?

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

You'd most certainly hear a nice change in the sound of the system by upgrading the speakers. I know that a lot of people don't care for MB Quart, but if you haven't got intentions of going all-out on a setup, MBQuart will probably sound BEST running off the stock head unit. A lot of people think it's because MBQ makes their speakers have a sizzle to them, makes them sound like they're being driven by an amp almost.

Another tip for you: Markup in car audio is probably one of the highest percentages of any aftermarket. I've found excellent prices on new-in-box equipment on ebay, and never EVER pay full price at best buy or anyplace like that.

TomR123
09-25-2003, 04:46 PM
To use 6.5s in the stock door locations all you need are plastic spacers (1 in I believe)you can get from scoshe. With those all you have to cut are the one ring around the speaker outline on the door, but no worries its very flimsy plastic.

jaydub
09-25-2003, 04:47 PM
"wow, you spelled fhqwhgads correctly!" :p LOL!

Yeah I had to put spacers as well, though I made mine from 3/4" fiberboard.

03hatch
09-25-2003, 04:59 PM
if you want some gangster shit...go for dynaudio speakers, either 2 way or 3 way speakers or pioneer premier speakers, focal 165k speakers,. if your front speakers are good you dont need back speakers. as for amps get either phoenix gold 4 channel Ti series, or arc audio amps, diamond audio amps. =) good luck :D

jaydub
09-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 03hatch
if you want some gangster shit...go for dynaudio speakers, either 2 way or 3 way speakers or pioneer premier speakers, focal 165k speakers,. if your front speakers are good you dont need back speakers. as for amps get either phoenix gold 4 channel Ti series, or arc audio amps, diamond audio amps. =) good luck :D

I agree with what you've said about front speakers, and if they're good enought that you don't need rear speakers, but as far as the brands you've listed, I've got a few issues.

First, in terms of speakers, dynaudio and focal are at absolute opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of sound. dynaudio is super laid back and neutral, focal is a bit more lively and bright. I don't think Premier belongs in their category.

As far as amps, all those you've listed are nice, but they're really a bit much for a daily driven car. I had an Arc amp before my two Orions, and it also put a helluva load on the charging system, being a Class A/B amp.

davidc81
09-27-2003, 07:57 PM
if youre looking to run new speakers off the stock headunit, dont expect too much. there is not enough power to drive the speakers, so expect a lot of clipping. if you're just looking for something simple, driving some aftermarket speakers off of an aftermarket headunit should sound pretty good (not as great as an amp, but it should hold you over). also, i would also suggest running a 6 1/2" midbass in the rear location instead of a full range speaker. hope this helps.

jaydub
09-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by davidc81
also, i would also suggest running a 6 1/2" midbass in the rear location instead of a full range speaker.

Agree completely. :cool: