PDA

View Full Version : si airbox modseses

rs_1101
09-22-2003, 01:00 PM
i was just kinda thinkin and id like to kno if anyone has any input.. im about to do the hondata airbox mod on my a3, its supposed to free up like 7 whp.

so i got to thinkin.. hey the airbox is abs right? abs is a high melting point, low conductivity plastic. so would it work to go to home depot or somethin and make an abs cold air/ ram scoop? ghetto as all hell.. but would it work? could it work? any input?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
09-22-2003, 01:07 PM
i dunno about 7whp.
yes, you can make your own cold air inlet, if you do so, take some pics along the way.

blackbirdEp
09-22-2003, 03:53 PM
i did the airbox mod... I LIKE IT! a lil more pull and responsiveness in mid-high end...

dont know about 7whp tho... i think it was like 2-3 stock and 5-7 on a boosted motor...

post how it feels after!

C.

rs_1101
09-22-2003, 05:34 PM
blackbird.. what else do u have done to ur ep. anywho i think ive got it figured out. im going to use the airbox inlet and try to place a cold air extention roughly where the aem one goes, im going to do this by unbolting the front fascia and making a quick trip to home depot. if this works at all.. id be glad to make them for fellow ep'ers at roughly waht it costs to make/ship. basically, were modifying the airbox for high flow, then adding an abs cold air extention, much like a really ghetto-fied comtech icebox

rs_1101
09-23-2003, 10:23 AM
well.. i did it. the butt dyno is a two thumbs up! but i also got the midpipe redone, so later today ima cruise on down to home depot, and pick up some assorted abs piping. the car defintily has alittle more pull, especially at higher speeds and rpms. id reccomend using a dremel tool tho.. the hacksaw can get kinda ugly.. i had to use a blowtorch to glaze over all my little scrapes..

BlasTech
09-23-2003, 11:05 AM
I made an air-scoop thing for my Si that basically replaces the bend at the battery with a scoop that gets air from above the radiator, where the grill is. I notice a big difference in throttle response and pull all the way through the band.

Its made with 30-gague sheet metal from Home depot ($5) that is cut into the shape and soldered together. I also painted it with engine paint and used heat-shield to insulate it from the radiator hose.

PICS:

http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/airram1.jpg

http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/airram2.jpg

1fastminivan
09-23-2003, 12:27 PM
I did the hondata airbox mod also..........I too also torched the insides for the flakes also. I does make a noticable difference. Im trying to make a cold air extnension like the comptech icebox snorkel. I tried somewhat but it got in the way of the "shiftlinkage" <---dont know how to explain it....its in the picture above. When you shift it would hit the hose I installed. So I need to get a longer hose and push it away more from the tranny.

rs_1101
09-23-2003, 06:02 PM
wow. so has anyone just plain unbolted their front end? im hoping i can use abs 90' bends and 45' bends to hook up a 3-4 inch cold air extension.. gonna try it tomorro. but the hodata mod definitly seems to make me pull alittle harder, i noticed a slight reduction in acceleration time.

1fastminivan
09-23-2003, 09:06 PM
please post results and pics when done!!!:D

irrational
09-24-2003, 01:14 PM
i made my own airbox mods to go along with my spoon filter. i drill 12 3/4 inch holes in the box. ill put pics up soon. feels like it works!:)