PDA

View Full Version : sounds from front end HELP

BlackKnight 03
09-22-2003, 08:14 PM
So I have had my pro kit drop for a couple thousand miles now and Just recently I have started to notice the same noise that a good amount of people are hearing from the springs when you turn the wheel to the left all the way. From what I have read they need to be greased up w/ suspension grease.

Now my question is I am at school now and I had them installed by my best friends friend. So can I just take it to MUNROE (shock and strut place in the east) and they can lube all them up for me or do the springs needed to be taken out again? Sorry for being long. Thanks

BlackKnight 03
09-22-2003, 10:03 PM
anyone?

humanshield
09-22-2003, 11:14 PM
hey. i'm not gonna be much help. i'm working on solving that problem now. here's what i know.

the springs turn. so when you turn the wheel it moves the spring a little. what supposedly causes the noise, is if the spring isn't sitting right, or is bound up in the perch.

i just got in from outside. i greased the shit out of the lower perch (too dark to take everything out, and do the top). i also noticed some people leave a little gap between the end of the bottom coil and the end where the factory spring rested against. so i did that. i just took it for a ride. still noise.

i also talked to my friend who owns a custom shop in town here. he said that if you put the spring in upside down, it will make that noise. he said that the tighter coils go toward the ground. he says the tighter coils have the higher spring rate, so they rebound quicker and sit better in the assembly. i haven't tested this yet. when he gets some time off from air baggin everything in town, we're gonna throw my car up on the lift and figure it out.

side note...when you turn the wheel all the way to one side, does it make a knocking noise. when i turn my wheel all the way to the right (while the car is running and not moving), it makes a knocking noise. you kinda have to move it to the right, and release the wheel and move it again. it may not make sense, but it's worth a shot.

good luck.

1abSi
09-23-2003, 07:17 AM
no source yet? "i also talked to my friend who owns a custom shop in town here. he said that if you put the spring in upside down, it will make that noise. he said that the tighter coils go toward the ground. he says the tighter coils have the higher spring rate, so they rebound quicker and sit better in the assembly" as for that if you look at the pic the tighter coils are at the top....thus that would make you putting it in upside down and going against the second sentence
http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_PROGRESS_SPRINGS/EP_PROGRESS_SPRINGS-19.jpg

humanshield
09-23-2003, 09:29 AM
i'm not sure what that meant.

is there only one way for the progress springs to go in? i re read what i wrote and i don't think i contradicted myself. oh oh, nevermind i get what you're saying. i'm feelin ya.

so does anyone know what happens if you turn the progress spring so the tight coils toward the ground?

1abSi
09-23-2003, 02:03 PM
i am not sure what the effects are on performance, but it does seem to seat better if i remember correctly, as i did that in one of the 4 times i have reinstalled my springs to see what is wrong. but the directions say to install with the tighter(closer) coils up top...so it is a matter of taking one off and putting it back on upside down and taking it back off again to see if it works....right now after all this i don't have a desire to do that yet

BlackKnight 03
09-23-2003, 06:01 PM
I know my springs were not installed upside down. I have read from previous posts that many people have this same problem with there springs. Another memeber told me to go to pep boyz and by spray grease and grease the shit out of them and all the rubber parts. Has anyone done this or know if this fixes the problem????

1abSi
09-23-2003, 06:10 PM
dunno how that spray grease will work......if it does it will only be temp. as you need something like axle grease i think it is....something that lasts....and i wasn't saying you did it upside down....but it does seem to seat a lil better not sure how it performs though...i sure it still sucks

humanshield
09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
i used suspension grease on my springs last night. it helped with some of the noise in the clunking. i found the other noise was from the front sway bar hitting the lower control arm. as for the noise when you turn the wheel...it's still there. annoying as ever. thinking it might be a good time to get a new suspension all together (ie. mugen or tein).

BlackKnight 03
09-23-2003, 09:48 PM
I am wondering if this is a flaw in the new McPherson setup on the new civics. The reason why is because I had an 01 Ex and it did the same thing but it was not even lowered. The only noise I have is the one where you turn the wheel. Has anyone gone and got it looked at by honda???? It is kind of funny that my best friends EP is the same setup but it doesnt have this noise. MAybe he lucked out or maybe there is a problem that honda has not recognized.