PDA

View Full Version : TRIED to buy my ep tonight....:(

civicracer1128
09-22-2003, 09:26 PM
well i went up and test drove a new vivid blue 03si. damn nice if i do say so myself. the interior is awsome and the controls are simple for anything youd ever want to do inside of it. shifter is nice and short and the dash mount is comfortable as hell. there was a slight SLIGHT notch into 2nd but that didnt bother me too much as ive felt that in alot of other cars. so i decide maybe if i get my payment i want ill drive it home:):):)....

sticker is 19,XXX......didnt see that till after i drove it.....

after mudflaps,trim,wheel locks....21,XXX(dont ask i dont know how they came up with it but it was about 1500 for the "package"

i have a 00 jetta 1.8t and trade in is about 10,000 and i owe 6,000.

i want 220 as a payment. it could work with the right bumping up of the trade and down of the price....considerably down with the price.

long story short.....

he says hes got a good deal for me.... $8000-8700 for my trade and hell knock the price of the car down to $$$18,995

all in all payment would be about $270. hope i have better luck at the next dealer:( if you know a good one in MD let me know....)

Si Death
09-22-2003, 09:33 PM
uhmmmm thats reallllllly expensive for a 2003. Got mine down to 15000 only cuz my friend bought a civic the same time i bought my SI. but 19000 bit too high

chubbychu
09-22-2003, 09:36 PM
yea...thats too much...you should be able to get it down a couple thousand more because they "arent selling too well" lol

andy
09-22-2003, 09:44 PM
If you only owe 6K and your Jetta is worth 10K, you should be
able to get the Si for ~12K. Don't pay more than 16.5K - I think
you can get that as a price quote from carsdirect.com. Talk to
several other dealers in your area (even if it is 1 or 2 hrs away)
and take their quote into the dealer you just visited. There's NO
reason to pay more than 17K for an EP3 right now.

Go_EP_Go
09-22-2003, 09:45 PM
for reals thats expensive...just for the car i got mines for 16500...u can live without mudflaps, trim, and wheellocks...u can get wheellocks for like 20$ outside while honda sells it for like 100+

just tell em to take em off and they'd probably throw those stuff in for free thats if u get a decent salesmen...that what my cousin did for his si.

also my friend told me that dealers r more willing to lower their prices during the end of the month to meet their monthly sales (probably everyone knew that but i sure didnt)...so u can try to wait a few days

-kevin

VBSI
09-22-2003, 10:44 PM
Call dealers that are within a 300 mile radius. Don't be afraid to drive for the car that you want. I leased mine at 17,600, and at the end of the lease, my buyout will be 2-3 grand less than the car is worth if I sell it(but I am not, I am boosting it). Dealers are starting to play the rare game with our Ep's, since they have a cult following like the coupe Si-I saw a used Electron Blue Pearl 2000 Si at a dealer for 18,800 stock with 55,000 miles on it. Keep looking.

Most-Wanted
09-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Most dealers are so damn ridiculous. They wanted to give me 9k for a perfect bone stock 2000 Type-R. The bottom line on the Si is about 16,8 and that includes destination. Si's are not 15k, there are more numbers in that equation. But you should have no problem being in the 16k range. The only questionable part is the trade in. Can't tell you what it's worth, but it's only worth what the dealer or someone will give you for it. Suck it up, trade it in, you won't be disappointed. I have had mine for only three days but love it. Good-Luck...................

blueiedgod
09-23-2003, 07:06 AM
I think the dealer is a little low balling you on the trade. Try to get better trade value or sell it privately.

Go to www.carsdirect.com and plug in your zip code. you will get the exact price for the vehicle. Use that and see if any of the dealers are willing to beat it. If not, go with carsdirect. I heard they accept trades-ins now.

furious
09-23-2003, 09:03 AM
19k is high,

but really peeps...I'm sick of the braggin, cut the shit.

THERE ARE STATES THAT HAVE OVERSTOCK, like CA. But then there are those unfortunate ones like myself who live in a friggin state that is very very lucky to get a SI around 17k, and forget the 15 or 16 unless we're talkin older model....

it is the end of the 03s...so 19k is high. but if they are hard to find in your area...then I would just wait for the 04 and buy that for nearly the same price simply for the higher value (it is a 04).

so there...the braggin rights are gettin old

Kirei
09-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by civicracer1128
well i went up and test drove a new vivid blue 03si. damn nice if i do say so myself. the interior is awsome and the controls are simple for anything youd ever want to do inside of it. shifter is nice and short and the dash mount is comfortable as hell. there was a slight SLIGHT notch into 2nd but that didnt bother me too much as ive felt that in alot of other cars. so i decide maybe if i get my payment i want ill drive it home:):):)....

sticker is 19,XXX......didnt see that till after i drove it.....

after mudflaps,trim,wheel locks....21,XXX(dont ask i dont know how they came up with it but it was about 1500 for the "package"

i have a 00 jetta 1.8t and trade in is about 10,000 and i owe 6,000.

i want 220 as a payment. it could work with the right bumping up of the trade and down of the price....considerably down with the price.

long story short.....

he says hes got a good deal for me.... $8000-8700 for my trade and hell knock the price of the car down to $$$18,995

all in all payment would be about $270. hope i have better luck at the next dealer:( if you know a good one in MD let me know....)

60 x $220 = $13,200 + $2k equity = $15,200 Out The Door

If you listen to just half the people on this board and you're trying to get that price, dont waste your time. Lets do this. Give me information on your trade

Year:
Model:
Engine:
Miles:
Color:
CD/Tape/AM FM?:
AC?:
Power Windows, door locks, side mirrors?:
Leather seats?:
Power seats?:
Allow Wheels?:
Tinted Glass?:
Automatic?:
Wood Trim?:

Give me all that info and anything else I might've missed and I'll give you a rough appraisal for you. If theres only one honda dealer in your area within atleast 50 miles, chances are you're not going to pay the kind of money that some of these people here paid for on this site. Here in L.A., Theres a honda dealership within every 15 miles so its a little different. You cant compare apples to peaches. Once I get the figures on your trade I'll let you know how much you should be able to get the EP for realistically.

Kirei
09-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Go_EP_Go

also my friend told me that dealers r more willing to lower their prices during the end of the month to meet their monthly sales (probably everyone knew that but i sure didnt)...so u can try to wait a few days

Thats just a closing tool that we use as sales people. Its really just a load of bull.

IownAmaxima
09-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by furious
19k is high,

THERE ARE STATES THAT HAVE OVERSTOCK, like CA. But then there are those unfortunate ones like myself who live in a friggin state that is very very lucky to get a SI around 17k, and forget the 15 or 16 unless we're talkin older model....

it is the end of the 03s...so 19k is high. but if they are hard to find in your area...then I would just wait for the 04 and buy that for nearly the same price simply for the higher value (it is a 04).

so there...the braggin rights are gettin old then go to cali and buy it and have it shipped to the local dealer so you don't pay cali tax. It might cost $200 for the ticket and $300 or so to ship it but if you save $3,500 it's worth it.

hell, I went to sweden to buy a volvo and saved $4,500... cali isn't that far.

bobdobbs
09-23-2003, 12:21 PM
19k is high,

so there...the braggin rights are gettin old

Carsdirect.com will sell an '03 Si to anyone in Worchester, Mass (zip 01601) for $16,821. So much for your CA overstock theory.

Kirei
09-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs

Carsdirect.com will sell an '03 Si to anyone in Worchester

I really doubt it. Carsdirect.com only deals with dealerships who supports their site (monthly charge) and theres not a lot of dealerships that supports them which is why they have already claimed bankruptcy twice. Even dealerships who do deal with carsdirect do not have to grant carsdirect.com price. Especially places where honda dealerships are seldom, they really dont have to grant you shit. They'll tell you to go buy it from carsdirect.com and see where that'll take you. But if anything, give it a try but dont be surprised if you get treated like shit.

Originally posted by IownAmaxima
then go to cali and buy it and have it shipped to the local dealer so you don't pay cali tax. It might cost $200 for the ticket and $300 or so to ship it but if you save $3,500 it's worth it.

This would never happen. You're asking for a dealership to lose money to sell you a car, then go through all the troubles to ship it out to you? Thats a joke. Its simple. If I asked you to sell me something from your business way below cost, then have you go and find a place to ship out all 2,800lbs of it for me while not just doing it without any profit but losing money doing it, would you do it? Not to offend anyone but most people on this site have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Take advice from the people who know.

bobdobbs
09-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Kirei

But if anything, give it a try but dont be surprised if you get treated like shit.

About a month ago, I walked into a local dealer and he quoted me $17,500 for the EP3 they had on the lot. I pulled out a printout from carsdirect.com that showed a price of $16,471. They matched it and threw in a set of floor mats and 1.9% financing. I didn't feel like I was treated like shit. :D

blueiedgod
09-23-2003, 03:12 PM
according to guy's profile he is in MD. Maryland is not that big of a state, plus there are numerous dealershios in DC, phila and NYC area. I think the guy has a chance to get the Si for what he is comfortable paying for. His only problem is the VW that is upside down. If I were him I would keep driving VW until he broke even. If his VW is as bad as some of the stories, then he should proceed with the lemon law and have VW buy it back.
Trading in a 1 year old car is not a wise financial move.

Kirei
09-23-2003, 03:24 PM

About a month ago, I walked into a local dealer and he quoted me $17,500 for the EP3 they had on the lot. I pulled out a printout from carsdirect.com that showed a price of $16,471. They matched it and threw in a set of floor mats and 1.9% financing. I didn't feel like I was treated like shit. :D

Congratulations. Should we hand you an award?

bobdobbs
09-23-2003, 03:57 PM

Congratulations. Should we hand you an award?

Nope. I'm happy enough just to demonstrate you're wrong. ;)

Tucker
09-23-2003, 04:46 PM
I just purchased my 2003 Si last Friday in Bellevue, WA. I paid $16,500 plus TTL and got the 1.9% financing. I've been following these cars for about a year now and finally decided to grab one at a cheap price to replace my old '92 Si commuter.

I think anyone should be able to buy one for around $16,821 or less since that's about the effective invoice with the current $1000 dealer cash incentive. It's the end of the model year and these cars need to go. If the dealer has one in stock and they want to move it you should be able to get a great price.

civicracer1128
09-23-2003, 05:16 PM
thanks for all the replies guys. i didnt think i was being rediculous. i know 220 is low but its doeable. maybe 230-240 would do better. but 270 is too much. and the cars just not worth 19k. ill try to see what i can do. ill call around and try to trade this thing in.

civicracer1128
09-23-2003, 05:34 PM

60 x $220 = $13,200 + $2k equity = $15,200 Out The Door

If you listen to just half the people on this board and you're trying to get that price, dont waste your time. Lets do this. Give me information on your trade

Year:
Model:
Engine:
Miles:
Color:
CD/Tape/AM FM?:
AC?:
Power Windows, door locks, side mirrors?:
Leather seats?:
Power seats?:
Allow Wheels?:
Tinted Glass?:
Automatic?:
Wood Trim?:

Give me all that info and anything else I might've missed and I'll give you a rough appraisal for you. If theres only one honda dealer in your area within atleast 50 miles, chances are you're not going to pay the kind of money that some of these people here paid for on this site. Here in L.A., Theres a honda dealership within every 15 miles so its a little different. You cant compare apples to peaches. Once I get the figures on your trade I'll let you know how much you should be able to get the EP for realistically.

Year:2000
Model:jetta gls
Engine:1.8t
Miles:30000
Color:tornado red
CD/Tape/AM FM?:radio and tape
AC?:yes
Power Windows, door locks, side mirrors?:yes
Leather seats?:no
Power seats?:no
Allow Wheels?:yes
Tinted Glass?:no
Automatic?:no
Wood Trim?:no

IownAmaxima
09-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Not to offend anyone but most people on this site have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Take advice from the people who know. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I bought a car in georgia and had it shipped to NH and paid a little over $350 to get it here. AND, I had it shipped to a dealer and went there to sign the papers so I didn't pay sales tax in georgia.

Airplane ticket, $250. Shipping, $350 ($600 total so far). One day out of work, free (used a sick day). Saving about $2,900 ($3,500 saved - $600 spent) because the dickhead up here wouldn't deal and dared me to find a better deal? Priceless. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've bought cars in Georgia and Maine as well as one 0.4 miles from my house. I flew to Sweden to save $4,500 on a volvo. I work hard for my money and don't plan to piss it away just for the convenience of a short drive to a dealer.

BTW, you should have seen the look on the guy's face when I showed up at the place in NH... he was PISSED, but he really had no choice but to go through the process with me because the dealership on georgia worked it out. I laughed out loud when I left the dealer. Obviously I don't go there for service :D

KickerSi
09-23-2003, 05:56 PM
19K for an SI? That's way too much. Did the dealer offer you the 1.9 % finacing (sp)? That's how I got mine, sure does feel nice paying 1.9 instead of the 8.0 that they were offering. The dealer said that there was no such thing as a 1.9 offer, so I went to Honda's website and printed out the offer, they shut up and gave the 1.9. Good luck, and I hope you get an EP.

bobdobbs
09-23-2003, 06:09 PM
thanks for all the replies guys. i didnt think i was being rediculous. i know 220 is low but its doeable. maybe 230-240 would do better. but 270 is too much. and the cars just not worth 19k. ill try to see what i can do. ill call around and try to trade this thing in.

With $2000 cash down or trade equity, you're looking at about $280 for 60 months if you can pick up the car for $16.5K + TTL (which you can). I know this personally.

Stop fixating on monthly payment and focus on getting the most for your Jetta (sell it yourself), paying the least amount for the EP3 (currently mid $16's), and getting a good finance rate (currently, 1.9% for 60 months). You should have no problem getting the car for below invoice. Don't believe the bullshit that the dealer "can't lose money". There's a $1000 factory-to-dealer marketing support that they won't admit to. And putting more money down to get the payment to $220 doesn't make much financial sense when you're getting 1.9% interest. That's cheap money.

IownAmaxima
09-23-2003, 06:29 PM

There's a $1000 factory-to-dealer marketing support that they won't admit to. that's an excellent point... ask the sales MANAGER (forget the sales people) point-blank... "how much is honda's holdback on this car?"

edmunds says it's 3% of MSRP.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

But if he dodges the question in any way, you're going to get screwed in the long run so just leave and never go back to them.

bobdobbs
09-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by IownAmaxima
that's an excellent point... ask the sales MANAGER (forget the sales people) point-blank... "how much is honda's holdback on this car?"

I've found they ALWAYS dodge this question. But, it's a good bullshit-stopper when they start whining about how they "can't lose money". All you have to say is, "Why, there's no hold-back on this car?"

droideka
09-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Tucker
I just purchased my 2003 Si last Friday in Bellevue, WA. I paid $16,500 plus TTL and got the 1.9% financing. I've been following these cars for about a year now and finally decided to grab one at a cheap price to replace my old '92 Si commuter.

I think anyone should be able to buy one for around $16,821 or less since that's about the effective invoice with the current $1000 dealer cash incentive. It's the end of the model year and these cars need to go. If the dealer has one in stock and they want to move it you should be able to get a great price.

Tom, are you on AWOT? You'll know what I mean if you are. I just bought the SAME car for my daily driver a little over three weeks back.

Welcome!

Tucker
09-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by droideka

Tom, are you on AWOT?Don't think so :-)

Re: price negotiations... you really have to be firm and know your facts. The whole buying process at a Honda dealer is just a stupid game and is quite a joke compared to buying at a more up-scale dealer.

At my dealer I had to sign a form and give them a credit card "to show I was serious" (are they serious?). They write your offer on the paperwork sheet along with the highly inflated sticker price, which in my case was over $21K. The sales guy then took my offer into the sales manager, and returned a short time later with a sheet showing the "invoice price" of $17,821. He asked me why I should get the car at $1300 below invoice. I told him about the $1000 dealer cash and pointed out these were clearance cars they needed to sell. I said my offer was firm and if he didn't like it I was walking out. Trip two to the sales office was even shorter and he came out and said we had a deal.

I have about 150 miles on the new toy and I really like it... but it could use a bit lower stance (Mugen sport suspension?)... and oh, some 17" wheels too :-)

droideka
09-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Tucker
Don't think so :-)

AWOT = AudiWorld Off Topic. Thought you might be a member of that site.

Kirei
09-24-2003, 01:24 AM

Nope. I'm happy enough just to demonstrate you're wrong. ;)

"dont be surprised if you get treated like shit"

Notice I never said "You Will", I said "dont be surprised". Please learn how to read before you try to flame.

I must've hurt your ego when I corrected you about carsdirect and now you're looking for some lame shit to get back at me. Grow up. Its the internet, get over it.

Like I said, im not here to offend anyone. I just want to make sure the poor guy dont get mislead. Im not going to waste my time arguing with a bunch of people over the internet about something they obviously dont know much about. I've sold hondas for 2 years and im one of the top sales person in the region. I think I might know just a tad more about the entire process than you.

Kirei
09-24-2003, 01:55 AM

Year:2000
Model:jetta gls
Engine:1.8t
Miles:30000
Color:tornado red
CD/Tape/AM FM?:radio and tape
AC?:yes
Power Windows, door locks, side mirrors?:yes
Leather seats?:no
Power seats?:no
Allow Wheels?:yes
Tinted Glass?:no
Automatic?:no
Wood Trim?:no

Tired as hell but I quickily looked it up. Im missing a few things but if they offered you the kind of money like you said, Its pretty damn good. VW are very very soft on the used car market and dealerships often take it 3 back the book meaning 3 grand back of what its worth.

Carsdirect has it marked for $16,621 and thats digging way into holdback. The last I remembered, theres only a $750 dealership incentive for the EPs and not the 1grand that yall speak of. I have not been at work for a couple weeks because ive been sick but I called my manager just to double check and she says it has not changed at $750. I dont know what you mean by trim, but the "Pro Pack" which is mud guards, wheel locks and trunk tray retails at $499.

What im figuring is your car is really only worth about 7k as trade in cash value. (not what it books for but what they would actually give you) What they did was the OA your trade (over allowed) and gave you more than what it is worth. What happens then is that money comes from the gross of the new car. Your stand point is you want the car for cheap, but you want a lot for your trade. What they basically did was discount the car, put whats left of the profit to over allow for your trade making it look like you're getting more for your car just to make you happy. If you're looking for 10g's for your car and 17 for the EP, its not going to happen unless your jetta is worth atleast $13. Hope this helps.

IownAmaxima
09-24-2003, 05:18 AM

Notice I never said "You Will", I said "dont be surprised". Please learn how to read before you try to flame.

I must've hurt your ego when I corrected you about carsdirect and now you're looking for some lame shit to get back at me. Grow up. Its the internet, get over it.

Like I said, im not here to offend anyone. I just want to make sure the poor guy dont get mislead. Im not going to waste my time arguing with a bunch of people over the internet about something they obviously dont know much about. I've sold hondas for 2 years and im one of the top sales person in the region. I think I might know just a tad more about the entire process than you. and don't be surprised if you don't know everything. Apparently there are still a few things you can learn so how about doing that then coming back when you're the top salesperson overall
http://www.crownvic.us/forum/images/smilies/new/jerkit.gif

furious
09-24-2003, 10:01 AM

Carsdirect.com will sell an '03 Si to anyone in Worchester, Mass (zip 01601) for $16,821. So much for your CA overstock theory.

it is not a theory. it is a simple observation that is always true for anything related to supply/demand. Is 16,821 15k or 16k? No...it is friggin nearly 17k. addedly, the 16,821 quote is for NOW - it is almost yearend...when I was buying NOT around yearend...peeps were talking 16, 15 and even 14....THAT is what I'm referring to.

why you such a smartass? you sound like you need a bitch slap.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 10:33 AM

Like I said, im not here to offend anyone. I just want to make sure the poor guy dont get mislead. Im not going to waste my time arguing with a bunch of people over the internet about something they obviously dont know much about. I've sold hondas for 2 years and im one of the top sales person in the region. I think I might know just a tad more about the entire process than you.

1) I wasn't "trying" to flame you. It was a semi-friendly sarcastic jab. You need to put your persecution complex in check.

2) You're the one who's been condescending and insulting with your "most people on this site have no idea what the fuck they're talking about" and other bullshit. You really love yourself, huh? I guess someone has to.

3) You're a car salesman. That makes you a professional liar. Why we should listen to anything you say, especially when it's about one of your competitors, like carsdirect.com? (Hint: it's time to quit when you start believing your own bullshit.)

4) Regardless of how much you *think* you know, there are others who know more than you. The sooner you realize that, the sooner people will start liking you.

Please, flame back. My job doesn't involve spending all day lying to people, so I've got plenty of time.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 10:42 AM
it is not a theory. it is a simple observation that is always true for anything related to supply/demand. Is 16,821 15k or 16k? No...it is friggin nearly 17k. addedly, the 16,821 quote is for NOW - it is almost yearend...when I was buying NOT around yearend...peeps were talking 16, 15 and even 14....THAT is what I'm referring to.

why you such a smartass? you sound like you need a bitch slap.
Let's see, you said:

But then there are those unfortunate ones like myself who live in a friggin state that is very very lucky to get a SI around 17k...
I just showed you how you could EASILY get a car for LESS THAN 17K. It's your fault you paid more. Why don't you quit blaming everybody else, and the state where you live?

And I wouldn't have been such a smartass if *you* hadn't told everybody:

furious
09-24-2003, 01:09 PM

Let's see, you said:

I just showed you how you could EASILY get a car for LESS THAN 17K. It's your fault you paid more. Why don't you quit blaming everybody else, and the state where you live?

And I wouldn't have been such a smartass if *you* hadn't told everybody:

listen to yourself man...

1) when did I blame anyone? I am happy with my price...which was much below MSRP - just simple statement for those looking to buy to stay realistic and don't compare apples and oranges.

2) the state does make a difference on price.

I'm not even going to flame you or entertain your self-righteous attitude. So just grow up. The End.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 01:24 PM

listen to yourself man...

1) when did I blame anyone? I am happy with my price...which was much below MSRP - just simple statement for those looking to buy to stay realistic and don't compare apples and oranges.

2) the state does make a difference on price.

I'm not even going to flame you or entertain your self-righteous attitude. So just grow up. The End.

Dude, this discussion is NOT about *you* and *your* purchase. It's about someone who wants to buy the car NOW. You got all bent out of shape because everyone is "braggin" about the deals they got. Since you haven't said anything other than you got it less than MSRP (wow!), nobody else knows what you paid. But, judging by your how agitated you are about everyone "braggin" -- enough to tell them to "cut the shit" -- one can assume you *didn't* get as good a deal as everybody else who's "braggin".

You have no facts to back up your point of view, other than the crappy deal you got, which was mostly due to your inability to negotiate and possibly WHEN you bought it (which doesn't apply to this discussion). I've shown you a carsdirect.com price, for YOUR local zip code, and it's the same deal offered here in California. Plug in zip 94610, Oakland, CA, and you'll see. Certainly, regional differences exist. However, telling someone they can't get a good deal if they don't live in California -- BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T -- is bullshit.

SmoothOperator
09-24-2003, 02:18 PM
You should come to Canada and buy one. My dealership has every colour sitting on the lot with the GFX package. Damn they look great. And after you work out the exchange, it's WAY cheaper to buy them here.

furious
09-24-2003, 02:58 PM

Dude, this discussion is NOT about *you* and *your* purchase. It's about someone who wants to buy the car NOW. You got all bent out of shape because everyone is "braggin" about the deals they got. Since you haven't said anything other than you got it less than MSRP (wow!), nobody else knows what you paid. But, judging by your how agitated you are about everyone "braggin" -- enough to tell them to "cut the shit" -- one can assume you *didn't* get as good a deal as everybody else who's "braggin".

You have no facts to back up your point of view, other than the crappy deal you got, which was mostly due to your inability to negotiate and possibly WHEN you bought it (which doesn't apply to this discussion). I've shown you a carsdirect.com price, for YOUR local zip code, and it's the same deal offered here in California. Plug in zip 94610, Oakland, CA, and you'll see. Certainly, regional differences exist. However, telling someone they can't get a good deal if they don't live in California -- BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T -- is bullshit.

did I say that? you are attacking my negotiation skills? you don't even know me...how can you judge my negotiation skills?

I didn't say the shit is about me...I didn't want a newcomer to be down on himself just cause it seems impossible to find a friggin 15k deal everywhere..

so, any more personal attacks??

now...go fuck yourself and be glad you know how to piss people off, and save your shit cause nobody want a pissing contest on this forum..if you need a shelter - go to clubsi.com

you know what, I'm sick of this shit...give me ALL you got, you will not get another fucking reply

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 03:04 PM

did I say that? you are attacking my negotiation skills? you don't even know me...how can you judge my negotiation skills?

I didn't say the shit is about me...I didn't want a newcomer to be down on himself just cause it seems impossible to find a friggin 15k deal everywhere..

so, any more personal attacks??

now...go fuck yourself and be glad you know how to piss people off, and save your shit cause nobody want a pissing contest on this forum..if you need a shelter - go to clubsi.com

you know what, I'm sick of this shit...give me ALL you got, you will not get another fucking reply

I thought your last post was "The End"?

Baby.

PBN
09-24-2003, 04:03 PM
:D

Thanks for the entertainment tonight. Bravo. Bravo!

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Anytime, man. It's only fun while the other guy flames back, though. Looks like this guy is wimping out.

Go_EP_Go
09-24-2003, 05:10 PM
i agree with ya bobdobbs us vivid blu si's gotta stick together haha;)

we were just trying to help out civicracer1128 by tellin him what he can do and what we got for our prices for him to use as references and comparisons and Furious calls it bragging? Ur one crazy booger...the price i got for my car is nothing to brag about cuz those salesmen bastards didnt even give me any mud guards, wheel locks, OR alarm for the price i wanted and got for it...:mad:

anyways back to the MAIN topic good luck on getting a good price civicracer1128:D

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 05:53 PM
VBP Solidarity, Brother! :D

Say, civicracer1128, what's the latest?

likeaferio
09-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Hey guys...
I currently own a Civic LX.
I've been wanting to get a SI for a while now but I have some questions about buying a car.

I read and understand all the tips you guys posted.
I'll probably shop around until I can get a hold of a SI for $16K, hopefully somewhere in South Cali.

My question is: Im about to turn 19. I have little to no credit.
This fact won't stop me from being able to get a SI for $16K since this is finalized before visting the finance office, correct?
Should I try to contact another financing company and compare to Hondas rates when at the dealership?
I only have a part time job...will this disqualify me from getting a loan? Btw, I do plan on putting 5k-6k as a down playment.
Thanks in advance.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by likeaferio
My question is: Im about to turn 19. I have little to no credit.
This fact won't stop me from being able to get a SI for $16K since this is finalized before visting the finance office, correct?
Should I try to contact another financing company and compare to Hondas rates when at the dealership?
I only have a part time job...will this disqualify me from getting a loan? Btw, I do plan on putting 5k-6k as a down playment.
Thanks in advance.

Usually, the financing becomes part of the negotiation. For instance, they usually ask up front how you intend to pay and what kind of down-payment you have if you're financing. If you don't have BAD credit, tell them up front you have excellent credit and you'll be putting down $5000. In fact, write them a $5000 check and hand it to them, but be firm on your price ($16K or whatever). The $5000 check can't be cashed unless you sign a purchase agreement, but it looks good. It shows you're serious.

The 1.9% financing Honda is offering is a great deal. It's not likely you'll find something that good.

Don't buy the extended warranty. Don't buy paint protection. Don't buy fabric protection. Don't. Don't. Don't. Keep saying No. They're rip-offs. Almost 100% profit for the dealer.

enecks
09-24-2003, 09:10 PM
The selling price (and trade-in) were all finalized and agreed upon before we visited the finance office in my case, and I assume that's how it's usually done; your credit rating won't let them charge you more for the car itself, but if you use their financing, they will get more money out of you on the APR. As for alternate avenues of financing, as bobdobbs said, you won't really find better than 1.9% anywhere, especially if you don't really have any credit. is there anybody who could cosign the loan with you? that usually helps.

Edit: and what's wrong with the extended warranty? I'm kinda glad I got it after reading about the problems you guys have been having :). I drove a Land Rover before trading it for the Si, so I knew how finnicky British cars can be...

likeaferio
09-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the advice bobdobbs.
I'm only worried about my credit and financing.
Below is a list of quotes taken from a SI thread over that 7thgencivic.com. Would you or anyone else explain the following to me? Some of your advice don't follow the following so I wanted to make sure. Thanks

"Cash isn't nearly as good as most people think it is. Cash cuts into the dealer's profit margin. They make money on the financing."

"oh if ya gonna pay cash, dont tell them that, they will prolly charge a lil more if ya gonna pay cash. get the price "out the door" then when they say now go talk with the finance guy, then tell them your paying cash"

"Never, EVER tell the dealer that you're trading a car before you get his bottom dollar price on the new one. This gives you more leverage and you will know exactly how low the dealer will go on the new car w/o factoring in the trade.
You've already got the new car invoice price, so you'll know if they came down or not. When you've squeezed ever dollar out of them, drop the trade-in bomb on them and go from there. You hold all the cards now and can tell what they give you for the trade.
If you tell them up front about the trade, most dealers will try to give you a bottom dollar price including the trade and you'll never know how much you got for your car and paid for the new one. This makes it difficult to determine if you got ripped or a deal."

"Treat negotiating as a game -- and know that the car salespeople are doing the same.
Always, always remember to walk out if you don't reach a deal you like.
In most instances, the person who mentions price first, loses. Don't be afraid to low ball them, since they're definately going to do the same.
And don't act like you can't live without that new car. This puts you at a disadvantage and the salesman will likely use it against you to "BUY TODAY."
If they ask you, "What'll it take to sell you this car today?", don't answer it directly, unless you say something like, "make me a fair price that I can live with." They hate that, it makes them work for the commission."

likeaferio
09-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Isn't the 1.9APR special for qualified (high credit rating) buyers?

enecks, there isnt anyone to co-sign for me. I live with only one parent, and she bought me my present car before a failed business venture screws up her credit and prevents me from getting a car =(

downhil
09-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by likeaferio
Isn't the 1.9APR special for qualified (high credit rating) buyers?

enecks, there isnt anyone to co-sign for me. I live with only one parent, and she bought me my present car before a failed business venture screws up her credit and prevents me from getting a car =(

sorry, but your not going to qualify for any of the lower rates if any at all. with no auto credit history and no college degree your options without a cosigner are very limited. you may find a dealer to carry a note but that is unlikely. you'd have a better chance going thru your bank. this is a situation where a lot of cash is a good thing...the more you have for a down payment, the less the lender has to carry as a risk.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 09:43 PM
In general, putting a large amount down when there's a low finance rate doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you need to get the monthly payment down to where you qualify. If you don't have a high credit score, you'll probably have to have a large down payment. Basically, put down as little as possible to get the 1.9% financing. Take the rest of your money and invest it or just put it away in case of emergency.

downhil
09-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Tired as hell but I quickily looked it up. Im missing a few things but if they offered you the kind of money like you said, Its pretty damn good. VW are very very soft on the used car market and dealerships often take it 3 back the book meaning 3 grand back of what its worth.

Carsdirect has it marked for $16,621 and thats digging way into holdback. The last I remembered, theres only a $750 dealership incentive for the EPs and not the 1grand that yall speak of. I have not been at work for a couple weeks because ive been sick but I called my manager just to double check and she says it has not changed at $750. I dont know what you mean by trim, but the "Pro Pack" which is mud guards, wheel locks and trunk tray retails at $499.

What im figuring is your car is really only worth about 7k as trade in cash value. (not what it books for but what they would actually give you) What they did was the OA your trade (over allowed) and gave you more than what it is worth. What happens then is that money comes from the gross of the new car. Your stand point is you want the car for cheap, but you want a lot for your trade. What they basically did was discount the car, put whats left of the profit to over allow for your trade making it look like you're getting more for your car just to make you happy. If you're looking for 10g's for your car and 17 for the EP, its not going to happen unless your jetta is worth atleast $13. Hope this helps.

congratulations!

you're an idiot.

a)you cant appraise something over the internet.

b)how can you attempt it with out asking a simple question like, umm, hmmm......condition of the goddamn car!!!???

i sold hondas right after college and it was a tough gig. your going to tell me that youve been selling for 2 years so that means you were selling cars at 19 or so? lets see a show of hands of people on this site who would not only take a car salesman seriously, but a 19 year old carsalesman.....anyone....anyone.

i rest my case.

civicracer1128
09-24-2003, 10:03 PM
well im back. glad to see your all fighting/discussing all this. im getting some good info. im pretty good at buying cars(know when its time to walk out)...but your introducing some good angles.

in terms of an update, as i think someone asked for a page ago, i gave up mid today. im back in the game but i was too pissed to hit another dealer. i spoke with someone at honda of bowie and she told me what i wanted for my trade was insane. she says that as a dealer they do not use the "excellent" condition rating. she says theyd only give me 6K for the jetta....the excellent jetta with 30k miles. granted kbb was just updated(i think) cause i lost about $600 from the figure i got last week. 10.1 to 9.5. must be some year end b.s. or something, but im not letting it go for that.:(

long story short, she talked to me(over the phone) as if i was a dumbass and basically told me to sell it outright and call her when i was serious. and i thought i was serious!?

approach with dealer 1)

went in and you knwo the story, it prompted this whole post.

Dealer #2)

emailed her and spoke on the phone. gave her all the info and what i wanted the #s to look like for every part of the deal.:confused: that obviously didnt do me well.

tomorrow---ill be doing #3

i wont take a bad deal but ive come to realize that i am getting a brand spankin new car and taking my payment from$150 as it is now to $250 isnt to bad. im laying the 220 to rest as i dont think ill get it. but my bad deal was 270 so i think i should be able to get what i want. i found a dealer that has 2 blues and a white and another dealer a little farther out with 7white,2blue,a black a silver....theyre asking to sell 03sis. if i can get my mom out htere with me im gonna give them a shot. but basically im gonna see if i can just get the price down....tell em no trade. then "decide" while we're sitting down that maybe ill try a trade. but i bet theyll just drop trade in real low. o i dont know what to do. all this new info is making my head spin. so many angles. why cant it just be blue book for trade and a staight price on the damn car. why all the bull:(

but thats not how it is so tomorrow im goin back to war. ill keep you posted and hopefully be posting stock pics of a new ep taken in the dark of 7-11 by midnight tomorrow. thanks for all the info and good luck on a healthy recovery to anyone verbally beaten down by another ep'er on my thread. i didnt intend for it to be like that but its helping me learn. thanks guys:)

downhil
09-24-2003, 10:10 PM
your new angle of attack looks pretty good.
i always hated it when people knew how to buy cars...it made me actually have to 'sell' the car.

the first step is to iron out the exact selling price of the car on a cash only basis. make no mention of trade or down payment or monthly payments. get it done to the point they ask you to sign the deal. then spring the trade on them...tell them you will trade your car and pay the rest in cash. once you get it down to one payment, ask them to split it up over 5 years or whatever you want....3 easy steps to not get taken.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Have you tried selling your Jetta yourself? Many, many people prefer to buy used cars and you could probably sell it in a couple of weeks. You should get a couple thousand bucks more than by trading. It's a PITA, but it's worth it when you're trying to make the numbers work for you.

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by downhil
the first step is to iron out the exact selling price of the car on a cash only basis. make no mention of trade or down payment or monthly payments. get it done to the point they ask you to sign the deal. then spring the trade on them...tell them you will trade your car and pay the rest in cash. once you get it down to one payment, ask them to split it up over 5 years or whatever you want....3 easy steps to not get taken.

Sneaky! In my experience they always ask up front if you'll be financing and if you have a trade-in. What should you say?

civicracer1128
09-24-2003, 10:30 PM

Sneaky! In my experience they always ask up front if you'll be financing and if you have a trade-in. What should you say?

yeah, im not the best lier either. what should i say???? wont they get pissed i didnt tell em before and kinda kill me on the trade???? all they gotta do is say that theyll give me 6k on it and they keep the same #s as before. thats waht i owe.

downhil
09-24-2003, 10:31 PM
since i never told anyone about the dealership's holdback, how could i get mad if they didn't tell me about their 'holdback'!

at the dealership i worked at, i could tell from the get go if the commision was going to be a 'mini' or minimum commision...in my case it was a $100 mini. basically s2000's, oddyseys, pilots, crv's with accessories and the new accords (when they were new) were the money makers. so i knew that if it was a civic, the manager would for the most part try his damndest to sell it. you shouldn't need to say anything...they arent going to call you out and say, 'hey! you lied to me about not having a trade in.' i would usually joke around with the people and tell them that they are really making me work.

downhil
09-24-2003, 10:36 PM
they can get pissed, but if they want to sell a car they will. most of the time we would realize that the person knew how to buy a car and none of our tricks would work. if you try to show that person a shitty number they walk. you know what your car is worth, you know how much you want to pay, you know how much you can afford a month. you will find a dealer that WANTS to sell you an si. the time of the year and month doesnt really matter. a commision is a commision....especially if that is the only way you are paid!

bobdobbs
09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Hey downhill, another question for you: Does the holdback percentage get less the longer the car sits on the lot? How does the length of time a car has been on the lot influence what kind of deal they agree to?

downhil
09-24-2003, 10:52 PM
oooohh yes it influences the numbers.

you dont think the dealership pays cash for all those cars?;)
they are paying interest on every day that black civic dx 4door with no a/c sits in the texas heat! you bet they're willing to deal on that one after 45 days of no one looking at it.

on our daily inventory list we got every morning, the column right next to trim level was age...as in how many days the car sat on the lot.

im not sure on the holdback question though. i think the holdback may just be an account settled in bulk at the end of the year. i.e. 3% on X number of cars = ? not sure though.

civicracer1128
09-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Well i got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

time for a new thread. thanks for all the help and info guys/gals:)